eServices announcement about ABUs

Started by Tim Medeiros, December 28, 2011, 10:52:26 PM

a2capt

..and the local kids buy them, and MARPAT to play paintball. 100% GI issue. Yeah. Whatever.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on December 28, 2011, 11:43:11 PMI could tell you about the questions on my ROTP aptitude test,

You're a "Rider of the Pines"?   Sweeeeet!

"That Others May Zoom"

JK657

Often times these ABU/ACU/MARPAT knock offs look identical to Mil Spec... until you see them through night vision. That is when you notice a huge difference. Its not the camo pattern itself that is sensitive its all the other properties, IR squares, etc.

I recently came back from A-Stan and had to turn in all of my multicam. Multicam is not a sensitive item as its been on the civilian market for years, but because it had IR squares on it away it went.

lordmonar

??

Again IR squars are available on the open market.

The main thing that makes the uniform visible in IR is the type of detergent you use.

Again.....I would be happy with a "No we don't want you to wear them" or a "Please hold, your call is very imporant to us".

When they start pulling a "it's not DoD policy to release these uniforms to the general public"......contrary to a 30 second internet search and personal experince......I get all bent out of shape.

You can tell me to suck it up....but don't blow sunshine up my FPOC please.....I'm an adult!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Quote from: CyBorg on December 28, 2011, 11:03:40 PM
I believe that Canadian troops leaving the service have to give their CADPAT digi-cams back...one Canadian military message board did a collective butt-chewing on a former troop who somehow kept his and sold them...a very irate Sergeant-Major said "Those do NOT belong to you!  They belong to the QUEEN!"

Last year, Kieloch, Stanford & I were running a Warrior Dash, and I was hot on the trail of some Cadpat trousers from which to make us cool shorts.  It was a royal female dog to find Cadpat, even knock off.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 29, 2011, 03:13:04 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 28, 2011, 11:03:40 PM
I believe that Canadian troops leaving the service have to give their CADPAT digi-cams back...one Canadian military message board did a collective butt-chewing on a former troop who somehow kept his and sold them...a very irate Sergeant-Major said "Those do NOT belong to you!  They belong to the QUEEN!"

Last year, Kieloch, Stanford & I were running a Warrior Dash, and I was hot on the trail of some Cadpat trousers from which to make us cool shorts.  It was a royal female dog to find Cadpat, even knock off.

Restricted for everyone but Airsoft Special Forces:

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/clothing-bdu/uniform/canadian-cadpat-digital-camo-woodland-bdu-uniform-set

"That Others May Zoom"

JK657

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2011, 02:28:18 AM
??

Again IR squars are available on the open market.

The main thing that makes the uniform visible in IR is the type of detergent you use.

Again.....I would be happy with a "No we don't want you to wear them" or a "Please hold, your call is very imporant to us".

When they start pulling a "it's not DoD policy to release these uniforms to the general public"......contrary to a 30 second internet search and personal experince......I get all bent out of shape.

You can tell me to suck it up....but don't blow sunshine up my FPOC please.....I'm an adult!

When I got to Afghanistan they made a big deal about no one buying or wearing commercially bought uniforms for two reasons: 1. Our military uniforms were fire resistant 2. IR properties. As a generally skeptical person a few of us tested commercial versus milspec and noticed a slight difference in visibility through night vision and flamability (more likely just because they were thicker) YMMV as always but those are just my observations based on a non-scientific test conducted by bored joes.

Sapper168

Quote from: CyBorg on December 28, 2011, 11:33:51 PM
I honestly could care less about getting ABU's.

I'm much more in favour of getting BDU's recognised as "CAP-distinctive."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

My sentiments also. 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Private Investigator

AngelWings

They are making a big deal of absolutely nothing. I could equip an entire wing with how many multicam uniforms that were used in A-Stan, and that is just from how many I've seen with my own two eyes and on online forums with peope trying to sell their old multicam sets they use in A-Stan. I think they have their heads up their place where the sun don't shine because they clearly don't realize they are in abundance to the public. I've gotten close to buying a few MC uniforms before, and from comparison to my ACU's that I have from JROTC (which are the real deal), they were exactly the same. Same IR tabs, same fabric, and I bet same IR qualities. I wonder why they care so much. Are they afraid CAP is going to deplete their supply? Do they think we are too husky and trying to BS us into thinking something else? I wish we had a straight up answer instead of BS that a 2 year old would laugh at.

lordmonar

Well....for a while DRMO was not allowed to give us BDUs because they were selling them in lot sizes to surplus dealers and they were finding their way to third world countires and into the hands of people who the U.S. did not like very much.

They were shredding the old BDU's for rags.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: lordmonar on December 29, 2011, 05:22:49 PM
Well....for a while DRMO was not allowed to give us BDUs because they were selling them in lot sizes to surplus dealers and they were finding their way to third world countires and into the hands of people who the U.S. did not like very much.

They were shredding the old BDU's for rags.
Which is stupid because many, many people have BDU's, which is considered to be the most abundant combat uniform ever made. What stops someone who doesn't like from making an eSlay and buying them under an alias and a location of a friends? I'm in no rush to have buy a whole new uniform (which is going to leave a dent in my wallet  >:D ), sew on all of the patches, and have to retire my black combat boots to dirty work only, but I would prefer to have the option to. I'd much rather look USAF Auxilary than USCG Port Security Unit (which at the base I go to, the local PSU wears BDU's) if I was going to interact with the public. Also, why can't they ship to CAP? Does CAP supply uniforms to terrorist? It is stupid. If they are worried about it, then make a new regulation requiring felony jail time to be served for doing so.

Duke Dillio

Looks like we are "Aux Off" again.....

ZigZag911

Hopefully this national uniform review will result in a single field uniform for CAP.

We don't need camouflage of any sort; I realize this borders on heresy, but it's the plain fact; we have no reason to conceal our folks, and every reason to make GTs visible to aircrew.

Further, the less we look like an invading force, the less likely we'll cause any alarm to local residents or LE.

AngelWings

Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 29, 2011, 06:56:48 PM
Hopefully this national uniform review will result in a single field uniform for CAP.

We don't need camouflage of any sort; I realize this borders on heresy, but it's the plain fact; we have no reason to conceal our folks, and every reason to make GTs visible to aircrew.

Further, the less we look like an invading force, the less likely we'll cause any alarm to local residents or LE.
But then you cut off a big part of the Cadet Programs. Unless someone wants to suggest to the USAF to adopt a solid color CSAR uniform so we can use it, or have everyone wear flightsuits, I doubt we would fullfill the USAF's needs. Also, why can't we get a uniform with IR squares on it  >:D . That'd solve the whole problem!

Darkside1

Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 29, 2011, 06:56:48 PM

I wouldn't count on the national review resulting in any drastic changes like the unification of the field uniforms. There are too many problems with doing so and not enough benefits.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Darkside1 on December 29, 2011, 07:16:52 PM
I wouldn't count on the national review resulting in any drastic changes like the unification of the field uniforms. There are too many problems with doing so and not enough benefits.

I wouldn't count on the "national review" doing much of anything other than taking the title of the late William F. Buckley's magazine and using it for a "process" that says "OK, we did something," but hasn't done anything except reinforce the status quo.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on December 29, 2011, 08:49:50 PM
Quote from: Darkside1 on December 29, 2011, 07:16:52 PM

I wouldn't count on the "national review" doing much of anything other than taking the title of the late William F. Buckley's magazine and using it for a "process" that says "OK, we did something," but hasn't done anything except reinforce the status quo.
Cynicism like that almost qualifies you for membership in NHQ-999

Ed Bos

Quote from: Littleguy on December 29, 2011, 07:02:55 PM
But then you cut off a big part of the Cadet Programs. Unless someone wants to suggest to the USAF to adopt a solid color CSAR uniform so we can use it, or have everyone wear flightsuits, I doubt we would fullfill the USAF's needs. Also, why can't we get a uniform with IR squares on it  >:D . That'd solve the whole problem!

The CAP cadet program enjoys the use of a uniform as a tool that fulfills many purposes. Primarily the AF Blues and Service Dress uniforms. A unique CAP field uniform would not impact this portion of the program because A) field uniforms aren't the primary tool for teaching the sort of attention to detail that the Service Dress and Blues uniforms do, and B) it's still a uniform.

Also, what does CSAR have to do with anything? That's just silly. USAF CSAR crews don't wear BDUs or ABUs very often anyway.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Ned

Quote from: Ed Bos on December 29, 2011, 11:08:21 PM
The CAP cadet program enjoys the use of a uniform as a tool that fulfills many purposes. Primarily the AF Blues and Service Dress uniforms. A unique CAP field uniform would not impact this portion of the program because A)field uniforms aren't the primary tool for teaching the sort of attention to detail that the Service Dress and Blues uniforms do, and B) it's still a uniform.

Why do you say that?

It has been my experience that both service and BDU uniforms are used as the kind of tool you describe.

Indeed, many squadrons spend more time in BDUs than in service uniforms.  In those units I would expect that the BDU would indeed be the "primary tool for teaching" the cadets uniform-related lessons.

It is critically important for our cadets to be wearing current USAF-style uniforms wherever and whenever possible.