BDUs are now Obsolete

Started by Smithsonia, November 04, 2011, 11:47:03 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: john_Bowers on November 11, 2011, 04:21:38 PMNow I would rather it not change at ALL if the change would be to make cadets start paying for thier first blues uniform. But it would have been "nice" if my packet had come with a polo shirt and a couple of books to get started with.

That would imply that the golf shirt is the minimum or "base uniform, which it isn't - that's the MBU, depending on your flavor.

It would be interesting to know what the evolution of the FCU was.  The claim by many would be that without the FCU, we'd have a lot less cadets,
but I don't buy that. Yes, we've got cadets with financial issues, but lack of free uniforms doesn't stop the BSA, local sports, and other similar
activities from being successful.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I thought appropriated funding paid for the FCU, not cadet dues.

johnnyb47

Quote from: Eclipse on November 11, 2011, 04:27:12 PM
Quote from: john_Bowers on November 11, 2011, 04:21:38 PMNow I would rather it not change at ALL if the change would be to make cadets start paying for thier first blues uniform. But it would have been "nice" if my packet had come with a polo shirt and a couple of books to get started with.

That would imply that the golf shirt is the minimum or "base uniform, which it isn't - that's the MBU, depending on your flavor.

It would be interesting to know what the evolution of the FCU was.  The claim by many would be that without the FCU, we'd have a lot less cadets,
but I don't buy that. Yes, we've got cadets with financial issues, but lack of free uniforms doesn't stop the BSA, local sports, and other similar
I think requiring a new senior member to equip themselves with the MBU is fine. Giving them a golf shirt on the way in the door just says, "Here... wear this while you get you're waiting on your Vanguard order and then after that whenver your commander says OK."
I'm kind of a nerd so i found everything online that I could and read it in the first few days after joining. I ordered my aviator with all the trimmings and wore that as soon as it arrived. That still took a couple of weeks to assemble with backorders, etc.

FWIW my son is a cub scout. his shirt and all of the required items for it was about $45. A blues uniform is a bit more expensive. I can't wait to see what we have to buy when he crosses over. That should be fun. :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 11, 2011, 04:44:57 PM
I thought appropriated funding paid for the FCU, not cadet dues.

Correct.  But it's our choice how much of the appropriated funds we put towards the FCUP.  FCUP is an authorized use of appropriated funds. 

The Cadet Books are paid for with appropriated funds.

So, the $30 pays for a membership card, shipping, and manpower to process the paperwork, etc., apparently.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: john_Bowers on November 11, 2011, 04:21:38 PM
But it would have been "nice" if my packet had come with a polo shirt and a couple of books to get started with.

The new member packet used to come with CAPP 50-5, Introduction to the Civil Air Patrol.  I still have mine, but it's woefully out-of-date (1990).  The latest one is dated 1 August 2002.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/u_082503081737.pdf

It seems that it, like many other CAP publications, is now only available online (shell out for printer ink  >:().

It's fun to read through my ancient one and reminisce about the good ol' days when we were the Auxiliary of the USAF all the time... :(

No uniforms of any kind came with my new member packet.  Once my fingerprints were sent off to National, my squadron set out a list of the basic uniform I would need to get from the CAP Bookstore:

S/S light blue shirt
Trousers
Belt
BLUE three-line nameplate
CAP cutouts
AIRMAN flight cap; squadron CC didn't authorise the officer's cap until you actually got your 2nd looie.

I got shoes locally and a Tony Nelson service dress blouse at an Army/Navy for $20 in like-new condition.

"Alternative" uniforms, for whatever reason, were much less prevalent then, except for the old Smurf suit, which was either allowed to be worn with a flight cap or people did it anyway.  I never saw grey/white (the old style, no ribbons) or polo shirts until I went to my first wing activity.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on November 11, 2011, 07:59:37 PMIt seems that it, like many other CAP publications, is now only available online (shell out for printer ink  >:().

Who prints pubs anymore?

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

I'm seeing half blues and [half white shirt/gray slacks and golf shirt/gray slacks].
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Buzz

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 09, 2011, 08:45:05 PM
Here's an idea... Let's keep on doing our jobs without doing silly thing to our hats.

Actually, the crush happened because aviators were required to wear headgear, but would remove the stiffeners so that the hat would cushion the headset -- eventually the hat would take the crush shape. 

This was officially approved in the late 1930s, and only ended when the USAAF mandated the wear of flying helmets by aircrews.  Following Unification, the USAF never approved the service hat for aircrew wear while flying, but blue crush caps were still seen now and then, especially among FACs, until the ballcap became popular. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on November 11, 2011, 04:27:12 PM

Just as an aside, the BSA never REQUIRED a uniform to be worn by either scouts or scoutmasters. There were kids and adults that put 10+ years in and never wore a uniform once ( and yet managed to participate in all activities ) And, at least in my council, there were some wealthy donors who would cover the cost of any and all kids who couldn't make the $ 10 annual dues... You don't see that in CAP. With us, if you don't have a uniform many folks (Cadet or Senior ) are unable to partake.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: PHall on November 11, 2011, 05:24:37 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on November 11, 2011, 05:10:33 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 11, 2011, 04:55:19 AM
And I have learned that the only way to "win" is not to play.

Ok, here is a simple question, what wing are you an IG for?

He can't tell you. That's [classified]. :-X

Not, not classified, its just that NCRblues is just not worth responding to. When he became rude and name calling, etc (sort of like a school yard bully) I just decided that I was done with him.

The "Internet is filled with so much bad behavior. We see it on blogs, where vicious comments are posted by cowards who hide behind the cloak of anonymity and/or the security that being miles away from other posters that the internet provides... We see it, particularly among young people, in social media like Facebook and MySpace, where cyberbullying has had tragic consequences. And we see it in casual e-mails.

There are other reasons for bad behavior online. It's a convenient outlet. We get frustrated easily these days, and if an e-mail with the slightest provocation shows up at the wrong time, we unleash that frustration."

NCRblues

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 13, 2011, 06:26:32 PM

Not, not classified, its just that NCRblues is just not worth responding to. When he became rude and name calling, etc (sort of like a school yard bully) I just decided that I was done with him.

The "Internet is filled with so much bad behavior. We see it on blogs, where vicious comments are posted by cowards who hide behind the cloak of anonymity and/or the security that being miles away from other posters that the internet provides... We see it, particularly among young people, in social media like Facebook and MySpace, where cyberbullying has had tragic consequences. And we see it in casual e-mails.

There are other reasons for bad behavior online. It's a convenient outlet. We get frustrated easily these days, and if an e-mail with the slightest provocation shows up at the wrong time, we unleash that frustration."

I called you a troll, and its not making fun of you. Its the truth. You have still not answered ANYONES questions on here, let alone mine.

Lets start with something simple.

So, simple question...what wing are you on IG staff for?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: NCRblues on November 13, 2011, 07:04:58 PM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 13, 2011, 06:26:32 PM

I called you a troll, and its not making fun of you. Its the truth. You have still not answered ANYONES questions on here, let alone mine.

Lets start with something simple.

So, simple question...what wing are you on IG staff for?

Actually Sir, you called me a "troll and a fraud". Name calling aside, I don't believe I fit the accepted definition of a "troll", as commonly defined. As to being a fraud, you do not even have a preponderance of any evidence to support that claim.

No, what you appear to have is a temper and maturity issues and under the anonymity of the Internet, choose to act rudely.

As to anonymity, I choose not to disclose much in the way of information for my privacy on a very public forum.

G'day to you.

NCRblues

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 13, 2011, 07:41:09 PM
Actually Sir, you called me a "troll and a fraud". Name calling aside, I don't believe I fit the commonly accepted definition of a "troll", as commonly defined. As to being a fraud, you do not even have a preponderance of any evidence to support that claim.

No, what you appear to have is a temper and maturity issues and under the anonymity of the Internet, choose to act rudely.

As to anonymity, I choose not to disclose much in the way of information for my privacy on a very public forum.

G'day to you.

You are a troll and more than likely a fraud. You have made lots of WILD claims, and have backed none of them up.

Your "almost 60" and a "lawyer, retired federal agent, former local cop, former NCO, Former WO, Former state cop, current state cop, wing IG, coast guard Aux." so forth and so on

Answer my questions, what wing are you an IG for?
What year did you enter the army and get your GED?
What year (and from what school) did you get your law degree to be admitted to the BAR?
When did you graduate FLETC?
What agency did you work for when you were a "fed"?
What state did you police for?
What local jurisdiction did you police for?
How many enlistments did you do to get NCO grade?
What was your NCO grade?
What did you do as a WO?

Any answers would be great....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PHall

Okay, am I worth responding to?  So what wing are you in?

SAR-EMT1

Gentlemen, can we please get back on topic ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: PHall on November 13, 2011, 08:01:22 PM
Okay, am I worth responding to?  So what wing are you in?

You are sir, but again there is the anonymity thing as the IG staff is limited and names are posted on wing sites.

NCRBlues: And yould you like my SSAN as well? Do you understand the whole anonymity thing?

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on November 13, 2011, 08:10:19 PM
Gentlemen, can we please get back on topic ?

Agreed, and I will stand by my statement of not responding to NCRBlues anymore as what he wants is a protracted internet argument and a need to be "right".