I give you - the King of Stolen Valor

Started by Eclipse, July 29, 2011, 01:13:06 AM

Eclipse

The story has been floating around since last month.

Some of the details are sketchy, but apparently he showed up to an Army  basic training graduation and then his day
got bad from there.  A couple sites say he was a USAF vet in the early 2000's with a questionable discharge
and nothing approximating that grade.

Clearly a young man with serious psychological issues.  Very sad.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

45 Ribbons, Wings...6 Badges (half or more Army?)...

Eclipse

Not to mention a CIB with two stars and command pilot wings!

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I forgot the Desert tan boots with Blues...

And also the beating he's about to get from what I assume is someone in the Army in the last picture...

Eclipse

Apparently that is also a green beret on the table.

More than one site says this was at Fort Benning and went to complain about enlisted personnel hassling him.
That's when the fun started.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

Wonder how much ordering 'one of everything' cost him?   :o
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2011, 01:31:39 AM
Apparently that is also a green beret on the table.

More than one site says this was at Fort Benning and went to complain about enlisted personnel hassling him.
That's when the fun started.

Green indeed!
http://usafonlineoped.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-once-wrote-story-on-here-about-stolen.html

Persona non grata

He was there to see his step -son who is in the Army and happens to be older than him.  This guy definitely needs some mental health treatment help . You should have seen his FB page before he took it down.  Rumor has it that he was possibly a loadd master(not confirmed)
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2011, 01:20:18 AM

Those aren't Command Pilot Wings, they're Chief Enlisted Crewmember Wings.
Enlisted wings are round in the middle while Officer wings use a shield shape in the center.

Persona non grata

I forgot to mention that all units should print a picture of this guy out and post it, write on the picture with a large red sharpie DO NOT GIVE THIS GUY A APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

DakRadz

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2011, 01:44:42 AM

Enlisted wings are round in the middle while Officer wings use a shield shape in the center.

Okay, this guy is so obviously mentally impaired that I wasn't even disgusted or angry, but merely sad.

But PHall pointing out that he had such great attention to detail made me chuckle. As if wearing enlisted crewmember wings with all that made him more legit.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2011, 01:48:04 AM

Okay, this guy is so obviously mentally impaired that I wasn't even disgusted or angry, but merely sad.

But PHall pointing out that he had such great attention to detail made me chuckle. As if wearing enlisted crewmember wings with all that made him more legit.

Actually, those are about as close to legit as he got.

Hawk200

Quote from: eaker.cadet on July 29, 2011, 01:45:57 AM
I forgot to mention that all units should print a picture of this guy out and post it, write on the picture with a large red sharpie DO NOT GIVE THIS GUY A APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
You can give him one, but I'd bet money he wouldn't be back after you give him a fingerprint card.

PHall

No, I earned my Chief Enlisted Crewmember Wings, thank you very much. Just takes 15 years in the Air Force and 10 years of flying to get them.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2011, 02:54:44 AM

No, I earned my Chief Enlisted Crewmember Wings, thank you very much. Just takes 15 years in the Air Force and 10 years of flying to get them.
I don't think he was referencing you, PHall.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

SarDragon, unless I'm missing something history-wise, the nametag is not actually his name.

Nickolas J. ANDROSKY is the poser's name. Check USAFAux's link above.

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 29, 2011, 03:12:04 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2011, 02:54:44 AM

I don't think he was referencing you, PHall.
No, I wasn't!!! That was a bit unclear, my apologies. I know you are real deal USAF retired, PHall.

I meant that the poser seemed to think if he wore enlisted wings on the right uniform, it made up for all the other ridiculous ribbons and awards he was claiming.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PHall

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 29, 2011, 03:42:02 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 29, 2011, 03:14:37 AM

I got a different result (?).

The Binford thing is one of SarDragon's trademarks. It implies that the guy is a "tool".
Geez, didn't you ever watch Tool Time? >:D

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2011, 03:48:50 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 29, 2011, 03:42:02 AM

I got a different result (?).

The Binford thing is one of SarDragon's trademarks. It implies that the guy is a "tool".

So he's the 5100 model?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HGjunkie

Quote from: PHall on July 29, 2011, 03:48:50 AM

D'oh. This is what I get for not using google.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

The tool's real name is Androsky, as noted above.

When I 'Shop in a Binford nametag, I go all the way. In this case, I tried to insert it a 100%. It ended up being too small, so I zoomed it out.

I was thinking more like a 6900 model.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

crisptheyounger

"If it doesn't say Binford, someone else made it."

I don't think so, Tim. (Even though it's already been explained ::))

On a side note, it think we finally found a ribbon rack that puts our cadets' to shame.
Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

Sapper168

I must say that the rack is one of the sloppiest ive ever seen. He could have at least made sure all ribbons were even and flush on non lapel side of the rack, and maybe placed the center and bottom sections closer together so there wasnt a space between them. .......  He totally should have worn a few Army Skill Tabs to go with that green Beret too. ;D

caphornbuckle

You think he went with only Master Sergeant to keep him from being asked too many questions?   ;D
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: caphornbuckle on July 29, 2011, 04:13:54 AM
You think he went with only Master Sergeant to keep him from being asked too many questions?   ;D

You'd think he would go with CMSgt, and grey his hair a bit.

JC004

I've said it before and will say it again.  These people are sick.

I just read about this one, mentioned in the comments on the fake MSgt:

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies608.htm

Dad2-4

Yeah, he looks all of 22 (maybe). MSgt?  ??? USAF MSgt with all that bling?  :o
Among all the other stuff, did anyone notice he has 2 stars on the USAF Expert Marksman ribbon. When I was in it was one star, period, unless that has changed recently.

HGjunkie

I lol'd at the comment section where they were all debating on whether or not he was wearing a Female Blouse.

And his tie is crooked.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Sapper168

Nah, his ties not crooked, it just sucked into the gravitational field produced from that large mass of bling! ;D

The CyBorg is destroyed

I thought he must be auditioning for a very bad Z-grade movie...but no way would Quentin Tarantino have this joker.

I'd love to encounter this guy while in uniform...

"STRAIGHTEN THAT TIE AND GET RID OF THOSE DESERT BOOTS!"  He probably would have no idea he wasn't dealing with a Real AF Captain. >:D

He should have got some Warrant Officer bars and an officer's uniform...he'd really be noticed then! >:D

Still, I think this one is sadly even more pathetic...

Australian at ANZAC Day '09, Melbourne.

On right lapel: Victoria Cross

Below right: British 1939-45 Star, British Burma Star, British 1939-45 Service Medal, Australian 1939-45 Service Medal

Jumbled on left side, first row: Commonwealth Korea Service Medal, UN Korea Service Medal, Australian Cross of Valour (civilian decoration), Australian Defence Medal, unidentified green/yellow/green.

Second row: British General Service Campaign Medal, Australian Vietnam Service Medal, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Medal, unidentified.

The laws in Britain and the Commonwealth must be a lot different to ours...we can't even own a MoH unless we're the recipient, next of kin or a descendant (?), and making copies of it are forbidden.

However, one can quite easily find reproductions of items awarded for On Her Majesty's Service on Evilbay:

Victoria Cross miniature, $13.87

Distinguished Flying Cross, $31.98

Air Force Cross, $28.58

Military Cross, $18.73

Canadian Cross of Valour, $99.98

Canadian Sacrifice Medal (Purple Heart equivalent) $16.95

And that's just Evilbay...there are loads of other places on the net to get this blingage, and I'm not sure if there are any legal ramifications in those countries for unauthorised wear/possessions (other than a potential fist in the face from a Regimental Sergeant-Major).

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on July 29, 2011, 08:12:06 PM
Still, I think this one is sadly even more pathetic...

Australian at ANZAC Day '09, Melbourne.

On right lapel: Victoria Cross
Holy crap...at least the guy in the OP had the sense not to wear the MoH, which for those not from the Commonwealth, is the basic analog of the VC.

JC004

There's a couple CAP people on that one site.  People who have been evicted from the organization.  This (http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies590.htm) and 3 or 4 others that mention CAP.  I did a search on Google restricted to the domain for "Civil Air Patrol."

flyboy53

This is why I go out of my way at antique shops to pick up those medals that I earned. For what I did to earn my own Humanitarian Service Medal (which on the outside is quite rare), just to name one, no other slacker is going to get it.

Don't you just want to have a huge blanket party.....

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on July 29, 2011, 09:05:00 PM
Holy crap...at least the guy in the OP had the sense not to wear the MoH, which for those not from the Commonwealth, is the basic analog of the VC.

And awarded even less frequently, isn't it?

Canada, Australia and New Zealand now all have their own specific VC's...the only difference is the Canadian one reads "Pro Valorum" instead of "For Valour."  I think a few Aussies and Kiwis have got VC's in Afghanistan.

I wonder what would happen if the guy in the photo would walk into an Australian Returned and Services League post (kind of like the American Legion or Royal Canadian Legion) with that junk on.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Well to be fair......it is remotely possible for him to be real.

He is the right age to have all those medals (assumeing he joined WWII  in 43 at 18) he could have seen action in vietnam in 62-73, that would be 30 years of service and only be 48.  Stranger things have been known to happen.

I do know that the UK takes VC faces very seriously, even more so then the U.S. does with the MoH.

And it is standard for veterans to wear their decorations on civilian jacket....they usually do better then that...but I have seen worse.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

The ones on the right side could be those of a deceased family member.  IIRC that is the custom in Commonwealth nations...  Or he could be a Walt.
Mike Johnston

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on July 29, 2011, 10:37:15 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on July 29, 2011, 09:05:00 PM

And awarded even less frequently, isn't it?

Canada, Australia and New Zealand now all have their own specific VC's...the only difference is the Canadian one reads "Pro Valorum" instead of "For Valour."  I think a few Aussies and Kiwis have got VC's in Afghanistan.

I wonder what would happen if the guy in the photo would walk into an Australian Returned and Services League post (kind of like the American Legion or Royal Canadian Legion) with that junk on.
Yep...VC is almost never awarded posthumously for example (there are a couple of exceptions).  The Canadian VC was created back in the 80s I think and has yet to be awarded at all.

PHall

Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 29, 2011, 11:55:56 AM
Yeah, he looks all of 22 (maybe). MSgt?  ??? USAF MSgt with all that bling?  :o
Among all the other stuff, did anyone notice he has 2 stars on the USAF Expert Marksman ribbon. When I was in it was one star, period, unless that has changed recently.

It's still just one star.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on July 29, 2011, 10:55:02 PM

He is the right age to have all those medals (assumeing he joined WWII  in 43 at 18) he could have seen action in vietnam in 62-73, that would be 30 years of service and only be 48.  Stranger things have been known to happen.

I do know that the UK takes VC faces very seriously, even more so then the U.S. does with the MoH.

And it is standard for veterans to wear their decorations on civilian jacket....they usually do better then that...but I have seen worse.

Except that I got the photo from an Australian website dedicated to frauds.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: CyBorg on July 30, 2011, 02:28:40 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 29, 2011, 10:55:02 PM

Except that I got the photo from an Australian website dedicated to frauds.
Well.....you didn't say that did you :(

Okay then......the old fart is a doosh!  Off with his head! ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

An Austrailian with an entire chest full of American medals. Thats AWESOME.  Maybe an exchange program? ;D

MSG Mac

He claims to have served as an Australian Officer in an exchange program with the US Army. He also claims to have been commissioned at the age of 16 if his birthday is correct.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SPD6696

When I was in CENTCOM, we had a ton of foreign troops assigned.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

DakRadz

Quote from: SPD6696 on July 31, 2011, 03:05:43 AM
Yes, but I'm guessing they had at least one ribbon from their home country and not ALL American ribbons?

PHall

Quote from: DakRadz on July 31, 2011, 03:12:21 AM
Quote from: SPD6696 on July 31, 2011, 03:05:43 AM
Yes, but I'm guessing they had at least one ribbon from their home country and not ALL American ribbons?

Most foreign countries militaries tend to give out far fewer decorations then the US military does.
The US military, especially in the past 20 years or so, has gone decoration crazy.

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Yes.  This image of a real RAAF officer shows that they don't have nearly the blingage that we do.

Air Marshal Geoff Brown, AM, RAAF

All of his blingage is Australian, except for the US Legion of Merit.

A/M Brown is the equivalent of a USAF Lieutenant General.

The "decorated" officer depicted above has no Australian/British Commonwealth medals, except for the RAAF Pilot's Wings.

Ironically, he is an officer (Wing Commander; Lt Col equivalent) in the RAAF Cadets, kind of their version of CAP (except that they wear almost the same uniform as the RAAF).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

capmaj

In reference to what PHall said.............  The best one has to be USAF's Basic Training ribbon, which enlisted get for graduating Basic. But if you didn't graduate Basic, you wouldn't be wearing ribbons or a uniform anyway!

Hawk200

Quote from: capmaj on July 31, 2011, 02:04:38 PM
The best one has to be USAF's Basic Training ribbon, which enlisted get for graduating Basic. But if you didn't graduate Basic, you wouldn't be wearing ribbons or a uniform anyway!
Yeah, I still get a kick out that one, too. What's really funny is that "There has to be some reward for graduating Basic!", but there was the general that did away with the Good Conduct Medal because "This is conduct to be expected." Talk about twisted logic.

You were expected to have graduated Basic if you show up at tech school, or a base. Kinda goes without saying, right? But keeping your nose clean for three years wasn't worth something because it was "expected"?. The fact that there are people that don't get the Good Conduct validates the award.

It's a wierd world at times.

Anyway, I'm still wondering what actually happened to the "Binford." >:D Was there any other action taken besides being escorted from the installation?

PHall

It's not just the Air Force that has a ribbon for completing Basic Training.
The Army has the Army Service Ribbon (aka the Chicklets Ribbon).

Lucas F

He must have thought ribbon racks double as body armour.

arajca

Quote from: PHall on July 31, 2011, 06:37:03 PM
WIWAD, it was called the rainbow ribbon.

PHall

Quote from: arajca on July 31, 2011, 07:00:51 PM
WIWAD, it was called the rainbow ribbon.

Chicklets is PC and doesn't get you into trouble with the EO folks. Plus they do hand them out like candy!

AirDX

Negative.  The ASR is awarded upon the completion of a soldier's first MOS-producing course, i.e. basic + AIT.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

flyboy53

Actually, when the ribbon was created in 1985 there or abouts, it wasn't just meant to recognize completion of basic training, it was meant to recognize those individuals who joined the Air Force under the All Volunteer Forces Concept. Then everyone wanted to wear it, so the criteria go backed up to some point in the 1970s.

This ribbon, that those of us in the Air Force sometimes call the "Battle of Lackland" ribbon, is actually for all
AF members when they complete entry-level training, which means that if you go to basic and then the Academy, OTS or Medical Officer or Legal Officer orientation, you wear a device on the ribbon. I've seen a few of those in my career. In a way this also means that things like the Army Service Ribbon or AF Training Ribbon have a little more prestigue than the National Defense Service Medal. For that medal, you only have to serve one day of active duty....whether you make it through BMTS or not.

When I went through Lackland, there wasn't an AF Training Ribbon; only the BMTS Honor Grad Ribbon. I decided then why do I need a ribbon for BMTS so I personally opted to not strive to achieve it. There was only one awarded in our flight. Then over my career, I think I could count on two hands the number of people I met who earned it.

Why bust the AF for the Air Force Training Ribbon when the criteria for the Membership Award is so much less.

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 01, 2011, 04:24:33 PM
...snip...
This ribbon, that those of us in the Air Force sometimes call the "Battle of Lackland" ribbon, is actually for all
AF members when they complete entry-level training, which means that if you go to basic and then the Academy, OTS or Medical Officer or Legal Officer orientation, you wear a device on the ribbon.
...snip...
Question: When would someone that goes through ROTC earn this ribbon? Just curious.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

SarDragon

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on August 01, 2011, 10:59:38 PM
...snip...
AF members when they complete entry-level training, which means that if you go to basic and then the Academy, OTS or Medical Officer or Legal Officer orientation, you wear a device on the ribbon.
...snip...
Question: When would someone that goes through ROTC earn this ribbon? Just curious.

Quote from: From Wikipedia, based on AFPC online articleThe Air Force Training Ribbon was authorized by the Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Force on October 12, 1980. It is awarded to U.S. Air Force service members on completion of initial accession training after August 14, 1974. Initial accession training in USAF is defined as Basic Military Training (BMT) for enlisted personnel, Basic Cadet Training (BCT) at the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), or commissioning through Air Force ROTC (AFROTC), Officer Training School (OTS) or other specialized USAF officer accession programs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

...snip...
...snip...

Quote from: From Wikipedia, based on AFPC online articleThe Air Force Training Ribbon was authorized by the Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Force on October 12, 1980. It is awarded to U.S. Air Force service members on completion of initial accession training after August 14, 1974. Initial accession training in USAF is defined as Basic Military Training (BMT) for enlisted personnel, Basic Cadet Training (BCT) at the United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), or commissioning through Air Force ROTC (AFROTC), Officer Training School (OTS) or other specialized USAF officer accession programs.

I'm guessing that the service record entry would be made at their first duty station.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Something like that.

When the USAF went electronic it was just added to everyone's records.

I think Lackland updates all the basics when they process them out to their first base or training base.  I'll have to ask one of the new airman in my squadron.

SarDragon

She was asking about ROTC, which may do things differently. Or not. It's just a SWAG on my part.

In any event, it likely gets entered in the first month or so of active duty.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

ROTC cadets receive/earn theirs at commissioning. I think it must be issued just before the ceremony because most ROTC graduates are already wearing it. It's the same if they were successful in earning a Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon.

Anyway, there has to be a roster somewhere where the unit commander approves those who were eligible and red lines those who are not. I never went through a record audit during my first enlistment and only noticed it as an entry on my first discharge. I got an Overseas Service (long tour) Ribbon at the same time and couldn't wear it because they hadn't been produced yet.

Most people don't realize the AF Good Conduct Medal is done the same way (a roster). I watched a first sergeant examine such a roster once, red lines, et all. Then he called those of us lucky recipients into his office for presentation of the medal. I never forgot his statement that it was the easiest medal to have taken away and then he handed mine to me.

So it used to be that the AF Good Conduct Medal had a level of prestige akin to a personal decoration. I was even lucky enough to be handed one once that was a formal decoration set, complete with the lapel pin. I have my uncle's WWII Army Good Conduct Medal and it's a decoration set as well.

The sad thing is that the clown whose behavior started this string, is still entitled to his basic aircrew wings, NDSM, Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon and AF Training Ribbon despite his bad conduct discharge. That's sad...and a disgrace to all of the rest of us.

What's a SWAG?

SARDOC

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: lordmonar on August 01, 2011, 11:21:14 PM
Something like that.

When the USAF went electronic it was just added to everyone's records.

I think Lackland updates all the basics when they process them out to their first base or training base.  I'll have to ask one of the new airman in my squadron.
Just a note, I'm in-between tech and getting to my first base, vMPF Awards & Decs page is still blank, so I'm guessing it happens at the first base.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

The CyBorg is destroyed

I think you still get the NDSM even if you don't complete BMT, if you're not booted out for fraudulent enlistment or something similar, like if you get an ELS for medical conditions or whatever.

I had a supervisor who was a Master Sergeant and then got a commission, retiring as a Captain...would he have got a palm/OLC for his AF Training Ribbon?

The joker who is the OS of this thread may indeed get to keep some of his blingage, but it'll be hard to convince anyone he's entitled to it, unless he carries a copy of his 214 around.

After all, Queen Victoria said that even if the winner of a VC were to go to the hangman, "he shall wear his VC on the gallows."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Lord

Want to be the first guy on your block to "earn" a Medal of Honor? Buy the WWII type from down under: http://www.quarterdeckmilitaria.com.au/products.php?cID=16

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

Quote from: Grunt's MilitaryCriteria: a. The National Defense Service Medal was awarded for honorable active service for any period between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954; between 1 January 1961 and 14 August 1974; between 2 August 1990 and 30 November 1995 and between 11 September 2001 and a closing date to be determined. For the purpose of the award, the following persons will not be considered as performing active service:

(1) Guard and Reserve forces personnel on short tours of duty to fulfill training obligations under an inactive duty training program.

(2) Any person on active duty for the sole purpose of undergoing a physical examination.

(3) Any person on temporary active duty to serve on boards, courts, commissions and like organizations or on active duty for purposes other than extended active duty.

(4) A one time only exception, for members of the Army National Guard and United States Army Reserve, who were part of the selected reserve in good standing, was authorized, per executive orders 12778, dated 18 October 1991, for the period 2 August 1990 to 30 November 1995.

b. The National Defense Service Medal may be awarded to members of the Reserve Components who are ordered to Federal active duty, regardless of duration, except for the categories listed above. Any member of the Guard or Reserve who, after 31 December 1960, becomes eligible for the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal or the Southwest Asia Service Medal is also eligible for the National Defense Service Medal.

c. To signify receipt of a second or subsequent award of the NDSM, a bronze service star will be worn on the service ribbon by U.S. Army personnel so qualified. Second or third award of the NDSM is authorized for soldiers who served in one or more of the four qualifying time periods. It is not authorized for soldiers who met the criteria in one time period, left active duty and returned during the same period of eligibility.

d. Cadets of the U.S. Military Academy are eligible for the NDSM, during any of the inclusive periods listed above, upon completion of the swearing-in ceremonies as a cadet.

e. The NDSM may be issued posthumously.

Serve on day active duty and you get the NDSM.

IIRC the whole reason why they instituted the Basic Training Ribbon in the first place is that when they stopped the NDSM in the 70's it would 3 years before you earned a ribbon and they thought it looked silly.

flyboy53

Tim,

You can wear the NDSM now. You don't have to wait until you're told to because you're in the current window of eligibility.

Lordmonar, regarding the AF Training Ribbon, true. I remember that discussion now, but then I read the rest of the justification in Air Force Times. Cyborg, the Mustang would have worn an oak leave on his training ribbon.

The first ribbon I ever earned was an AFOUA...at least it was permanent. I envied those who earned the Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon in Basic and then during weapons quals in SP. I only ever qualified -- kept missing by one or two points. It took five years to fire expert on the M-16.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AngelWings

We give you, the weekly waste of our time.

SarDragon

Quote from: SARDOC on August 01, 2011, 11:52:43 PM
Quote from: flyboy1 on August 01, 2011, 11:39:26 PM
What's a SWAG?

Scientific Wild A$$ Guess

That is correct, for the given context. Might carry the othermeaning elsewhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 02, 2011, 01:32:45 AM
the Mustang would have worn an oak leave on his training ribbon.
That is what I wear on mine. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SAR-EMT1

...snip...
...snip...

Back when I was in ROTC 2003-2005 graduating / commissioning cadets showed up to the ceremony in Officers Dress Blues
( new everything,  jacket was to have the wrist stripe, cadet uniforms were turned back in)

The cadet/ 2nd LT would normally have the Training Ribbon, GWOTSM and NDSM on the uniform walking into the room sans butter bar
and (if they did any "summer camps" )
- Marksmanship
- Jump Wings
- Hawk Mountain cordage  ;D

* I have seen photos of BSN students wearing the RN device at commissioning even though that device technically doesn't come until later.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

AirDX

Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

DC

You could win about a dozen games of buzz word bingo in the first paragraph.  :o

9 pages of CV = trying too hard...

SarDragon

Nine pages? I quit partway through page 2.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2011, 07:39:07 PM
Nine pages? I quit partway through page 2.
I didn't read them all, I assure you.