Wearing CAP Blues in Airport

Started by capsr, June 23, 2011, 11:40:01 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: Thrash on June 24, 2011, 10:06:32 PM
As for the kid in the Marine uniform: I think that should be a crime. At least some kind of fine for impersonating an armed forces member in that way.
Don't worry, it is.

commando1

Quote from: DBlair on June 24, 2011, 09:37:32 PMI have heard of a number of CAP members (both Cadet and SM) who admitted (from their own lips, not rumors) to regularly dressing in uniform whenever traveling (personal travel, not to/from activity) in order to get special attention, free upgrades, and free/discounted checked luggage. Behavior such as this really bothers me, but unfortunately it seems to be somewhat common from what I've heard.
I used to command the color guard team for my squadron, one night returning from a ceremony we decided to stop at a local IHOP to eat. We were still in uniform having come straight from the ceremony. When it came time to pay, the waitress told us that she applied the 10% military discount to our tabs. We thanked her but explained who we are and what we do. She asked me "Do you serve this nation?" I replied truthfully. She then asked if we wear our nations uniform honorably. Again I answered "yes." She then said "Then just take the discount as a thank you for you volunteer service." It made my day.  ;D
Non Timebo Mala

SansGroove

Technically I think its illegal to wear any distinctive part of a service uniform...  Time to rip the buttons off that old Navy wool coat I got from my uncle. 

This kid went way beyond "technically".   Hopefully he was just a mental health case...  if not they should tattoo "not a Marine" on his forehead.

titanII

Ugh. Serves that kid right. Incredible that he really had nothing better to do than dress up and "play Marine" at an airport. What did he expect to come from that?!
Quote from: SansGroove on June 25, 2011, 02:44:18 AM
they should tattoo "not a Marine" on his forehead.
Heh heh. Go all "Inglorious Basterds" on his sorry @$$   >:D
No longer active on CAP talk

AirDX

Quote from: NIN on June 24, 2011, 06:07:58 PM

Good point. You fly more than I do, but I've had _nothing_ but courtesy from the TSA.  Even when not in uniform.

I fly a lot.  TSA seems to have been trained to be arrogant and to suppress all human feeling.  Hmmm, sounds like Nazis there, eh? 

I have been flying to the far east a lot lately.  It's really funny how I can clear security anywhere but in the US and they are respectful, professional and don't leave me pissed off the way TSA does.  Even in Manila, not known for efficiency, and where to go from the curb to the airplane takes 3 trips though security checkpoints, it's all handled better.  And this is in countries like Singapore, Thailand and the Philippines, where the threat is a bit higher than in Omaha.

In fact, my last time in Manila, I was on a hand-written one way ticket (I got rerouted out of Bangkok).  I got the EXTRA special treatment, including a pretty thorough frisking at one point - not a pat down, but frisked.  The security agent was polite, respectful, humorous (he told me I must be a diplomat, he had a special procedure for me, and would I please accompany him to the side?) and sent me on my way laughing.

At Incheon, Korea, they have slippers for you to wear when they make you take your shoes off, rather than forcing you to walk around on filthy floors in your socks.  It's little things, treating folks like humans, that make the difference.

And the same thing is true of customs and immigration people - far east, a pleasant, business-like environment; the US, dingy pits full of angry people.  It's embarrassing to me as an American.

Of course the airlines are the same way, flying US airlines abroad sucks, but get on a non-US airline... much better experience.  But that's another topic. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

JK657

As I am typing this I am currently navigating my way through the nations airports as I head home for R&R from A-Stan. Thus far I have been very impressed with TSA. They have gone out of their way to ensure that we are zipped through the process as fast as possible. They even sent someone out with a metal detector wand to check out our boots prior to us getting to the security area so that way we knew if we had to take them off or not. I'm currently in uniform (OCP aka Multicams) and am very grateful for their professionalism and assistance.

YMMV

paladin82

Quote from: PA Guy on June 24, 2011, 06:24:44 AM
Quote from: capsr on June 24, 2011, 04:51:03 AM
Good to know. Thank you for the information.  :clap: Looking at the regulations BDU's and Corporate's in the airport traveling are a No-No.

Speaking on the TSA, the Marine below looks like he just came out of a TSA checkpoint like Major Lord was referring to.

That is a photo of a poser not a Marine.  Look at the shoes.  The trousers are way too long and the white belt isn't secured properly.  No marksmanship bling or NDSM and wearing PFC stripes, it doesn't work that way.  Plus look at the link for the photo.

Those look like lance corporal stripes.

wuzafuzz

I don't want to wear my CAP uniform when flying commercial.  If I did I would look a little worse for the wear on arrival.  My preference is to fly nice and comfortable, then change as appropriate for the occasion.  It's not like we are traveling under orders requiring the wear of the uniform.  Nor are we coming from a place where we didn't have civilian clothes.

I've heard the TSA horror stories but they have almost completely ignored me when I travel.  Most of them have been fairly friendly as well.  I cut them a little slack since I've had to search a lot of people I really didn't want to touch.  As long as they are decent about it they are just folks doing a job.  Remember though, a sloppy search can let some really scary stuff through.  Once upon a time (when I was a cop) I went to an L.A. Kings game with a full size Beretta 92F strapped to my scrawny self (5'7" 170 lbs) on my right hip under a windbreaker.  The guards picked me out for a pat-down.  I thought "this oughtta be interesting."  I was ready to ID myself but THEY DIDN'T FIND IT.  That's a lousy search at work.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JC004

I traveled in uniform I think twice(?) for CAP activities by commercial.  It was not a great experience - especially due to the metal attached to myself.  I wouldn't bother doing it again if I weren't told that I had to show up in uniform. 

I go through TSA checkpoints hundreds of times per year.  It's mixed and that isn't really going to change.  There's one guy that remembers me when he sees me because he WHACKED me in the face with the hand wand.  He waves to me.

I had to take a bagel slicer through a TSA checkpoint once for something at the airport (USO).  It was a hilarious experience (if you have a sense of humor).  I wish that I had a video of it.  I can't even remember how many people I had to have come speak to me from TSA - probably a dozen, even though it had already been OKed by the big TSA dude and the minions has been notified (at least...they had to FIND the minions who had been notified).

Quote from: JK657 on June 25, 2011, 09:30:32 AM
As I am typing this I am currently navigating my way through the nations airports as I head home for R&R from A-Stan. Thus far I have been very impressed with TSA. They have gone out of their way to ensure that we are zipped through the process as fast as possible. They even sent someone out with a metal detector wand to check out our boots prior to us getting to the security area so that way we knew if we had to take them off or not. I'm currently in uniform (OCP aka Multicams) and am very grateful for their professionalism and assistance.

YMMV

Stopping at USOs?  The best is PHL.  Just saying.

SABRE17

They way I look at it is if I ever had to exit the aircraft in an expeditious manner (aka on fire, floating on the Hudson river, upside down on the side of the runway etc...) I'd rather be wearing sneakers, and loose fitting clothing (for full movement).

that's twos trikes against the dress uniform and one against the battle uniform.
although the battle uniform would give me some more fire protection...

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: AdAstra on June 24, 2011, 12:17:49 AM
See CAP Knowledgebase #1051:
Yes you have that option. Members who choose to wear a military-style uniform when traveling by commercial means (other than to and from local CAP activities) will wear the service dress uniform or light blue, short or long sleeve shirt/blouse with tie/tab.

I've seen a number of members do this. Personally, I find it more comfortable to wear civvies.
So tell me is it the "wanna bee" factor that plays into this more than the actual need to do this ???  Honestly CAP member flying commercial in CAP uniforms :-[   I was a career military officer (20+ years) and I only flew one time in my military uniform (light blue shirt and blue pants with jacket) on a commercial flight, and that was due to us not having enough time after a meeting at Offutt AFB NE to change into civilian clothing and still make our flight to get us home to a SAC base in the wilds of Michigan.  Frankly the CAP regulation/policy needs to get more specific on this to remove any chance of the "wanna bee" factor entering the picture >:(
RM 

RiverAux

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 25, 2011, 05:56:59 PM
Frankly the CAP regulation needs to get more specific on this to remove any chance of the "wanna bee" entering the picture.
Right, because it is such a good idea to base our regulations on stories that are based on the actions of just a few people or are entirely apocryphal. 

HGjunkie

Every time I see the word "Wannabe" used here I want to punch my computer screen.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 25, 2011, 07:27:54 PM
Every time I see the word "Wannabe" used here I want to punch my computer screen.
:clap:

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: phirons on June 25, 2011, 07:29:41 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 25, 2011, 07:27:54 PM
:clap:
To both of you cadets --  This applies primarily to senior members wearing military type uniforms while not at a CAP function.  I think there's enough distinction on the cadet side so there won't be any wanna bee factor -- curiosity factor yes ;).   There's been senior members who have been playing this "wanna bee" game for some time and know EXACTLY what I am talking about :-[ >:(
RM

commando1

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 25, 2011, 05:56:59 PMFrankly the CAP regulation/policy needs to get more specific on this to remove any chance of the "wanna bee" factor entering the picture >:(
I wasn't going to bring that up because I knew you would. How is wearing a uniform that you posses every right to wear, being "wanna bee?" Now if I swapped out my insignia for USAF insignia, it would be wrong. However, I signed an application, pay my dues, and give sweat, blood and time to an organization that is granted the privilege of wearing the USAF dress blues uniform. I do not understand this, but feel free to explain.

Modified: Forgot to spellcheck ;D
Non Timebo Mala

Skydude61

Quote from: Thrash on June 24, 2011, 10:06:32 PM

As for the kid in the Marine uniform: I think that should be a crime. At least some kind of fine for impersonating an armed forces member in that way.

Maybe something under the stolen valor act?

Quote from: SansGroove on June 25, 2011, 02:44:18 AM
if not they should tattoo "not a Marine" on his forehead.
Yeah, but then he should join the marines

MIKE

I thought they declared Stolen Valor unconstitutional?  Also IIRC it pertains to decorations for valor in particular, not impersonating a service member by wearing the uniform, where USC applies.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 25, 2011, 09:00:18 PMI think there's enough distinction on the cadet side so there won't be any wanna bee factor

A cadet officer wearing the 3-button service coat is virtually indistinguishable from regular USAF officers, especially to the general public not in CAP or the military.

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 25, 2011, 09:00:18 PM
There's been senior members who have been playing this "wanna bee" game for some time and know EXACTLY what I am talking about

Please define.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 25, 2011, 09:00:18 PM
There's been senior members who have been playing this "wanna bee" game for some time and know EXACTLY what I am talking about

[citation needed]