Main Menu

ABU's???

Started by CAPCAPT41, May 24, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

NIN

Y'know, folks get pretty wrapped around the axle on the issue of phase-in dates and the mix-and-match uniforms you'll have during that cutover period.

Having lived thru the pickle suit-to-BDU transition (which, IMHO, was the fastest uniform transition I'd ever seen, military, CAP or otherwise) and the hand-wringing from the "oh my god, our formations won't look uniform, cuz people will wear whatever uniform they have and you know what that means... anarchy!" crowd, I'll just say this, about that:

If it works for the AF, Army, Marines, Navy & Coasties to have a phase in period, and folks can wear whatever uniform they still have as long as its authorized, and none of those services suffered from a complete loss of good order and discipline due to LCpl Snuffy showing up in BDUs, well, it should _probably_ be OK for CAP in the long run.

But thats just me.  Does it still freak me out a little to see people in a formation wearing mix-and-match uniforms? Yeah, sure does.  The Army Dress Greens are still authorized, and people still wear them (ie. ME), and some folks moved right over to Blues (I did, too, but I don't have belted trousers yet).  Ooookay.  Does it bug me to see a group of cadets, some in greens and some in blues? Yep.  Oh well. Eventually, they'll all be in the same uniform. No sweat.  Breathe. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Further to your point, CAP will never be uniform anyway, unless we reduce the number of combos and start enforcing
UOD with real effort.

Rare is the gaggle formation of seniors in the same uniform, especially considering that not everyone owns them all,
some own few, and some couldn't get it right if the stuff came factory configured.

Not all cadets have everything either, so in a lot of photos and formations it is a hodge podge of jackets, short sleeves, and some
in the unofficial FNG white shirt / black pants.

The transition time is the least of our worries...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Interesting post on CadetStuff:

Quote from: MorrisseyMEnclosed is a message that I have recieved regarding the NWUs, stating that effective JAN-01-2011, the USNSCC will be authorized to wear the Navy Working Uniform. Ignore the first few paragraphs untill you reach "NAVY Work Uniform".

"All Hands,

Policy Info from the NSCC Executive Director:

Addressing the CO/XO

Recently HQTRS was made aware of an issue concerning how a few NLCC commanding officer's are addressed by their crew.

The NLCC syllabus (p. I-27/28) indicates the CO should be addressed by members of the command as "Captain" regardless of COs rank and the XO should be addressed as "Commander" regardless of rank. This is a common practice found at Navy afloat commands. Occasionally you might see the CO addressed the same at a few shore commands, but not usually. Further, the use of this terminology is for members of the COs/XOs crew only. It does not apply to members outside the command. For the CO, "skipper" is also used.

HQTRS has been advised some NLCC COs are demanding they be addressed as "Captain" not only by members of their own command but outsiders as well. This is totally inappropriate. Accordingly, the NLCC syllabus will be changed to delete the requirement to call the CO, "Captain" and the XO, "Commander". The officers serving in both of these positions shall be referred to by their grade. This applies to the NSCC as well.

NAVY Work Uniform

Inquiries have been made to HQTRS whether the Navy Digital/Work Uniform is authorized for NSCC units. This uniform is NOT authorized for NSCC unit wear until after the first of year. Then it will only be authorized for wear if all members of the unit agree to buy the uniform. We do not want to have mixed uniforms and unless all members of the unit agree to purchase the uniform, it is not authorized. There are still plenty of military units that have BDUs of one sort or another available (at no cost) to outfit a unit. Accordingly, we do not want a unit CO trying to pressure cadets to buy the new Navy NDU/Work Uniform.

M.D. Ford
NSCC Executive Director"

Followed by:

Quote from: MorrisseyMUpdate!

Official from National HQ:

http://resources.seacadets.org/action_letter/2011/al2011_01.pdf
January 26, 2011
NSCC ACTION LETTER 01-11
To: See Distribution
Subj: PRELIMINARY GUIDANCE GOVERNING THE WEAR OF THE
NAVY WORKING UNIFORM
Ref: (a) NSCC/NLCC Uniform Manual

1. Purpose. To provide interim guidance for the proper wearing of the Navy Working Uniform
by Officer, Midshipmen, Instructor and NSCC/NLCC Cadet personnel.

2. Discussion. Starting 1 January 2011 the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) was authorized for
wear by members of the Naval Sea Cadet Corps. This approval should not be taken as an
attempt or an encouragement by the National Headquarters for all personnel to transition to
the NWU but only serves as an authorization to wear the uniform. The NWU is an expensive
uniform, approximately $135.00 per set (new), and under no circumstances shall a unit
pressure an individual to buy this uniform. Commanding officers are reminded that All
members of the unit SHALL be in the same uniform; uniformity is paramount. The Navy
Working Uniform is authorized to be worn at all facilities on base, at the assigned drill space,
while doing unit community service activities, while commuting to/from work and home via
POV, public transportation and short stops to conduct errands such as day care centers or to
go to lunch.

3. Action. Pending release of a the new Uniform Manual the following preliminary guidance is
provided to supplement guidance in reference (a):

a. Cap. The NSCC Mini Left Side Flash will be worn by Officers, Midshipmen, Instructors
and NSCC Cadets. The NLCC Mini Flash will be worn by NLCC Cadets. Please note
that rank insignia is NOT worn on the NWU eight point cover.

b. Shirt

1) NSCC. The NSCC mini flashes will be worn by Officers, Midshipmen, Instructors
and NSCC Cadets on each shoulder pocket with eagles facing forward and bottomedge
parallel to the deck. A full-sized left facing NSCC flash will be worn on the left
breast pocket to be sewn over the existing USN Ship/Eagle/Anchor logo.

2) NLCC. The NLCC mini flashes will be worn by NLCC Cadets on the left shoulder
pocket only and bottom-edge parallel to the deck. A full-sized NLCC flash will be
worn on the left breast pocket to be sewn over the existing USN Ship/Eagle/Anchor
logo.

3) Undershirt. Will be blue short-sleeve crew neck only.

4) Name Tapes. Will be worn on all shirts with the name over the right breast pocket
and USNSCC or USNLCC over left breast pocket.

5) Breast Insignia. Strips will be placed directly over the "USNSCC" strip on the left
breast pocket and shall match color and fabric as uniform component and shall be the
length of the width of the pocket. Authorized breast devices are NSCC Silver and
Gold Wings, EOD, SEAL, SWCC or authorized USN warfare device. Unit or
Regional Director's Command Badge(s) are worn in the primary position, over name
strip, or secondary position, on left breast pocket flap, as appropriate. Breast Devices
will be embroidered in silver and/or gold on blue digital pattern as required. No more
than two devices may be worn.

6) Rank Insignia. Collar devices (blue utility tab device) will be worn on both collar
points, by Officers, Midshipmen, Instructors, Chief Petty Officers and NSCC/NLCC
Petty Officers only.

c. Trousers.

1) Name Strip. The appropriate name strip will be worn centered over the right rear
pocket. Gold for Officers, Midshipmen, Instructors, and Chief Petty Officers. Silver
for NSCC Cadets PO1 and below, and NLCC Cadets SLPO and below.

2) Belt. Officers, Midshipmen, Instructors, and Chief Petty Officers, will wear a khaki
web belt with gold tip and buckle. NSCC Cadets PO1 and below and NLCC cadets
SLPO and below will wear a black belt with silver tip and buckle.

d. Footwear. NWU will be worn with a smooth leather black boot with 8 inch or 9 inch
upper. Trouser legs will be bloused to boot tops with blousing bands (not tucked), to
present a neat appearance.

4. Availability. There is a limited amount of the NWUs at the Uniform Depot. Large and extralarge
sizes are not available. NSCC uniform vendors (SPUR-Name strips / SHIP'S STORECollar
devices) have been contacted and have items specific to the NWU uniform available.

5. Cancellation: This action letter will be cancelled upon release of the new Uniform Manual.

M. D. Ford
Distribution:
Headquarters Representatives
Regional Directors
Unit Commanding Officers

Have a fine Navy day!

Not only do they care about Uniformity, they care about costs!

Spaceman3750

If they forced something like that onto cap squadrons we would still be in greens.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 03, 2011, 07:49:19 AM
If they forced something like that onto cap squadrons we would still be in greens.

Forced what? Units to choose to transition? Eventually there are no greens left. :P

Smokey

Maybe we will get ABUs ,maybe not.  But one thing is for sure.....we need to get rid of ULTRAMARINE BLUE.  Remember the Smurf suits!!!!!!!  Ultramarine blue went out with shag carpeting, advocado appliances and disco.

Navy blue is so much cleaner and modern.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Smokey on June 03, 2011, 06:09:53 PM
Maybe we will get ABUs ,maybe not.  But one thing is for sure.....we need to get rid of ULTRAMARINE BLUE.  Remember the Smurf suits!!!!!!!  Ultramarine blue went out with shag carpeting, advocado appliances and disco.

Navy blue is so much cleaner and modern.

Modern doesn't matter with uniforms, except with the Air Force dress uniform, and I don't know why it does. Uniforms are to help display heritage, as well as being functional, there is nothing wrong with the ultra marine nametapes. Navy blue wouldn't really make us look any better, no matter the field uniform other than the BBDUs, with them, the ultra marine looks hideous, other than that, it is a good uniform. I would even want to keep the ultra marine if we were to switch to the ABU, or MPU, or whatever the Air Force decides we should be wearing.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Orange on Black gets my vote.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on June 03, 2011, 07:45:01 PM

Captalk has just been set back in time 4 years...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

If we get the chance to switch the nametapes for something that is distinctive, but not as garish, I say to heck with heritage.  US Army still isn't wearing blue uniforms in the field despite that being the standard for over half our history. 

Майор Хаткевич

The CyBorg is destroyed

In the end we'll end up wearing whatever we're told to. :-X
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on June 03, 2011, 08:37:45 PM
Captalk has just been set back in time 4 years...

Haha...*trying to snicker to self quietly

titanII

What I want to know is, why do people want to change to the ABU besides being concurrent with the Air Force? From what I've read/heard, they're less practical than the BDU's (and in my opinion have a garish camouflage pattern)
No longer active on CAP talk

Nilsog

Every enlistedman I've talked to said they'd go back to BDUs in a heartbeat. I haven't heard a good review yet.

Personally, I'll wear whatever 39-1 tells me to. And ICLs. And... NHQ messages in eServices ... I think..
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: titanII on June 04, 2011, 01:22:43 AM
What I want to know is, why do people want to change to the ABU besides being concurrent with the Air Force? From what I've read/heard, they're less practical than the BDU's (and in my opinion have a garish camouflage pattern)

Less practical?  In a CAP context or a USAF context?

In a CAP ES context the BDU and BBDU are totally worthless.   If we were going for practical we would go the CAWG route with hi-vis shirts and sturdy blue jeans.

Being concurrent with the Air Force should be the only justification we need.  We are their axillary.....we should look like them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

titanII

Quote from: lordmonar on June 04, 2011, 02:40:22 PM
Less practical?  In a CAP context or a USAF context?...

Being concurrent with the Air Force should be the only justification we need.  We are their axillary.....we should look like them.
In a general wear contex. And I think that the BDU's look enough like the Air Force- similar, yet different.
No longer active on CAP talk

lordmonar

In a general wear context....the ABUs are far superior to the BDUs.

They are wash and wear.   Take them out of the dryer, hang them up and they are good to go.

CAP follow the USAF's lead and just go with name tape, CAP tape and up to two badges.....and we will have a nice uniform....even if we have to keep the while on ultramarine blue color scheme.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP