Forget about CAP getting ABUs

Started by RiverAux, September 12, 2010, 04:06:45 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 21, 2010, 01:36:31 AMI just took a look at the ABU, your right, it doesn't have it. That is too bad. It is a really useful addition to the other digi pattern uniforms. I still wonder what they would do with badge placement. Are badges allowed on the ABU in patch form or are they metal only like the ACU and MARPAT?
Velcro isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's easy to lose tapes, you stick to your buddy, and I've ended up wearing someone elses patch when I "stripped" them of it while squeezing past them.

I don't even bother wearing badges because they can be annoying to position or you lose the frogs. It's one thing to pin that stuff on dress uniforms, but something entirely to have to do it on a day to day uniform.

If I had my way with the ACU, I'd make sewn on insignia at least an option. You wouldn't have to worry about losing anything, or wearing extras. Wash it, pull it out of the dryer, put it on, good to go.

manfredvonrichthofen

The only positive thing about the ACU that I can remember was that it felt like wearing PJs after they get washed enough. About half way through Iraq they were really soft... that is when we got to wash them every month or two.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 21, 2010, 04:15:09 AM
The only positive thing about the ACU that I can remember was that it felt like wearing PJs after they get washed enough. About half way through Iraq they were really soft... that is when we got to wash them every month or two.
You must have been able to do your own laundry. It took a while for all the stuff I took to KBR. They did get that sandy yellow shade fairly quick though.

I saw a lot of the "summerweight" ripstop ABUs in the desert. There were enough that I imagined that some units got them as issue. The heavyweight stuff didn't seem to be all that popular. I wouldn't want it unless it was winter.

I still suspect that if all the branches transition to MultiCam that we may see ABUs. The Air Force isn't going to throw them away. Of course, they may give them to the ROTC (both college and junior) first, and when those organizations have had their fill, we might get some. Or else, we'll end up getting them from those organizations as people move on.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 21, 2010, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 21, 2010, 04:15:09 AM
You must have been able to do your own laundry. It took a while for all the stuff I took to KBR. They did get that sandy yellow shade fairly quick though.

I saw a lot of the "summerweight" ripstop ABUs in the desert. There were enough that I imagined that some units got them as issue. The heavyweight stuff didn't seem to be all that popular. I wouldn't want it unless it was winter.

I still suspect that if all the branches transition to MultiCam that we may see ABUs. The Air Force isn't going to throw them away. Of course, they may give them to the ROTC (both college and junior) first, and when those organizations have had their fill, we might get some. Or else, we'll end up getting them from those organizations as people move on.

Sadly, yes we did do our own laundry most of the time. We didn't get KBR so we did our laundry in buckets. They were stiff and nasty, if you had a large dirty spot on your uniform it would just get spread to the rest of your uniform so it all turned a lighterr shade of that dirty spot. That is until we just started showering with one uniform on then strip it off as it became clean then took a realish shower. About every two months we were able to send some of our stuff to a different FOB to get KBR to wash it. That was really nice because they came back really really soft.

MikeD

Quote from: Smokey on September 19, 2010, 09:06:08 PM
This from the Air Force Times......

At the Air Force Association's fall conference.....
Chief Master Sgt of the Air Force James Roy got a round of applause with a one-word answer: No.

The question: "Do you see any new uniforms in the future?"

After the clapping subsided, Roy added, "We have an airman battle uniform. ... It works very well for us. I sure would like to lighten that thing up a little bit, and we have steps in process and we [are] doing that."

As a side note......Not one BDU visible in the clothing store in the BX at Edwards AFB on a recent visist.

I think I got the last BDU belt there.  They had to go look in the back for it.

Hawk200

Quote from: MikeD on September 22, 2010, 03:05:49 AMI think I got the last BDU belt there.  They had to go look in the back for it.
The blue webbbed or stretchy belt that's about an inch and a half? I haven't seen too many of those lately. The Air Force was allowing the black Army belt with BDU's for a while. These days, I've been seeing a lot more "rigger" belts worn.

We need to do something concerning the availability of some items. Our members either have to scrounge for less than best condition items, or pay the premium to Vangaurd. Not the best thing to do to volunteer members.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 22, 2010, 02:38:20 PM
We need to do something concerning the availability of some items. Our members either have to scrounge for less than best condition items, or pay the premium to Vangaurd. Not the best thing to do to volunteer members.

Neither is necessary - AAFES has all the blues stuff, the rest of the known universe has the field uniforms, with better options.

The 1.5 inch belts from bdu.com, for example, are a much better choice for field uniforms then those cheesy belts most people wear for the same price (or sometimes free).

"That Others May Zoom"

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 13, 2010, 06:41:32 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on September 13, 2010, 12:26:39 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on September 12, 2010, 09:41:21 PM

Heh, Nin. :)

As I understand it, this was not authorized (with Jungle slanted potckets) at the time that photo was taken and likely never was.

While I dunno when the photo was taken, jungle fatigues were authorized for a period in the early 90's after the AF went to the BDU and the authorized green fatigues became almost impossible to find. What few that were in the DRMO pipeline we heard were being picked up by the Federal prison system and others were going to A-Stan courtesy of an alphabet soup agency.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JWilson

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 12, 2010, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: DBlair on September 12, 2010, 04:26:58 PM
BDUs are already getting scarce, if we are going to wear them for another 5 years, where are we going to find them?
Propper, Ebay, Army Navy stores, and other places. I can get a new set of BDUs easily through Propper, Army Navy stores either order new ones or sell surplus.

Propper BDU Blouse

Propper BDU Trousers

Barre Army Navy BDUs

Edit- added links

But they are so freaking expensive. I mean $60 for a set of BDUs? unless I'm missing some well-hidden way to get free sets of BDUs (besides clandestinely raiding the squadron supply closet) there really needs to be a better way to get uniforms to cash-strapped cadets like myself who need extra BDUs for encampments. I don't care what my uniform's pocket-arrangement is and what the camouflage pattern looks like, I just want to have enough uniforms so i can go out and do my duty.

jimmydeanno

I really don't understand the "uniforms are too expensive" argument.

Boyscout pants run $39.99
Boyscout shirt runs $39.99
Neckerchief runs ~$10.00
Miscellaneous patches etc $25.00

It appears the same for girlscouts, etc.

Sports teams typically require $100.00+ for uniforms and accessories, plus registration fees.

No matter what we wear, you're going to spend $50, even if it's shorts and a t-shirt.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JWilson

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 24, 2010, 05:01:40 PM
I really don't understand the "uniforms are too expensive" argument.

Boyscout pants run $39.99
Boyscout shirt runs $39.99
Neckerchief runs ~$10.00
Miscellaneous patches etc $25.00

It appears the same for girlscouts, etc.

Sports teams typically require $100.00+ for uniforms and accessories, plus registration fees.

No matter what we wear, you're going to spend $50, even if it's shorts and a t-shirt.
and CAP is different from boyscouts and girl scouts because unlike BSA and GSA. CAP is a auxilary of the AF. IT would be nice if they could throw us a bone and provide a free set of winter weigh BDUs and a free set of Summer Weight BDUs to cadets like they do with blues. I don't have a problem with outfitting my own gear but I would at least like to have my uniform be one more thing i can check off my list of things to worry about.

Ned

Quote from: JWilson on October 24, 2010, 06:27:11 PM
And CAP is different from boyscouts and girl scouts because unlike BSA and GSA. CAP is a auxilary of the AF. IT would be nice if they could throw us a bone and provide a free set of winter weigh BDUs and a free set of Summer Weight BDUs to cadets like they do with blues. I don't have a problem with outfitting my own gear but I would at least like to have my uniform be one more thing i can check off my list of things to worry about.

So one free uniform isn't enough for you?

You figure the taxpayers owe you at least two?

The USAF is being cut.  There are airmen and officers being involuntarily forced out of the service, bases closed, and equipment being mothballed and your thought is that they should find some more money to spend on you?

"Throw us a bone"?

Nice.

I'd like free uniforms, too.  But not when the AF would have to take it out of hide.  The money has to come from somewhere.  And that is ultimately the taxpayers.

jimmydeanno

Quick CAP finance lesson for you.

CAP receives their money from Congress, in the form of a grant.

Because we receive appropriated money, the Air Force has been assigned as our oversight to ensure that we are spending the money on things that we are authorized to spend them on (tax payer's money comes with rules), and are good stewards of those assets that we purchase with the money.

CAP decides how it wants to spend that money that isn't already obligated to pay for certain things.  Part of that money was designated as a fund to paid for the cadet blues uniform.

The Air Force isn't paying for cadets uniforms.
The Air Force can't give us more money to expand the program to include BDUs.

The pie is only so big and cutting one slice bigger means another one gets smaller.  Once you start paying taxes, you might understand a bit more.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

I get the feeling that someone thinks that the military has a big pot of money to buy whatever they want.

Old (really old) school thinking. May never have really been true, but still old school thinking.

tsrup

The blues are the only uniform required for cadet programs.  Which is why cadets are lucky enough to get them.  BDU's are not, which is why you aren't issued any by national.  Some squadrons have built up a surplus of them and are lucky enough to be able to issue their members BDU's, but remember, when it comes to free "you can't look a gift horse in the mouth".
Paramedic
hang-around.

BillB

CAP Regs say you can't require cadets to purchase uniforms and are issued one set of blues. So what happens when an encampment Ops Order lists cadet to have two sets of BDUs. What happens when the cadet shows up wearing his issued blues? Do you send him home? Or do you follow the regulation and allow him/her to attend? Many cadets can not afford $200 for two sets of BDUs (including boots). 
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DakRadz

Fundraising works wonders... I've been in extremely apathetic communities, and we still found a way to fundraise.

tsrup

Quote from: BillB on October 24, 2010, 10:28:02 PM
CAP Regs say you can't require cadets to purchase uniforms and are issued one set of blues. So what happens when an encampment Ops Order lists cadet to have two sets of BDUs. What happens when the cadet shows up wearing his issued blues? Do you send him home? Or do you follow the regulation and allow him/her to attend? Many cadets can not afford $200 for two sets of BDUs (including boots).

Encampment is not a required activity.

These things can be worked out with the squadron through encampment scholarships, fundraising, begging another squadron for uniform items, etc...

Paramedic
hang-around.

BillB

tsrup...How do you get a Mitchell is you don't attend an encampment??????
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: tsrup on October 24, 2010, 10:33:30 PM
Quote from: BillB on October 24, 2010, 10:28:02 PM

Encampment is not a required activity.

These things can be worked out with the squadron through encampment scholarships, fundraising, etc...

That's a highly debatable issue. If Joey Bagodonuts has promoted to C/CMsgt, then encampment IS required for him to satisfactorily progress in the cadet program.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret