wear of the flight suit

Started by jacklumanog, November 16, 2006, 07:12:38 PM

Nick

Quote from: lordmonar on December 17, 2009, 11:30:46 PM
Also remember that AD USAF flight suits are goverened by MAJCOM and LOCAL supplements and not the AFI.
Not anymore. The latest -2903 goes very much in depth on wear of the flight suit.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

PHall

Quote from: McLarty on December 17, 2009, 11:39:39 PM
Also remember that AD USAF flight suits are goverened by MAJCOM and LOCAL supplements and not the AFI.
Not anymore. The latest -2903 goes very much in depth on wear of the flight suit.

And is still supplemented by the various MAJCOM's for wear of Flight Suits. (i.e. AMC wears the flag on the left shoulder, ACC doesn't.)

Hawk200

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 17, 2009, 11:13:05 PMHawk, I just read the AFI again, too. All I read was mandatory aviation wings. The two badge requirement is for two cloth badges above the name tape on BDUs and ABUs. You are actually allowed a third badge below the name tape.

A duty badge is permitted on the pocket, not a third badge in the manner that PJ's would wear it. That's not the general Air Force standard. As to the reasons, you've already given the explanation:

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 17, 2009, 11:13:05 PMIn my Air Force mission essential aircrew days with the ARRS, many of the PJs wore three badges on their leather flight wings. Of course those badges included aircrew wings, jump wings and in some cases scuba badges, etc.  It wasn't an issue then, either.
If you've been doing PJ/CCT support, that's a different world. There was an SF support company in CO, and the differences between Spec Ops types and regular Army was night and day. When it comes to snake-eaters(and I'd say PJ's/CCTs qualify), they have always done and will do it their own way. And that way doesn't always include fancy regulation perfect uniforms.

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 17, 2009, 11:13:05 PMDid you look at the back of the Instruction? Now I know why there was so much hearburn over the CSU. The Air Force actually has a double-breasted uniform worn by flight attendants on special duty aircrews like AF One.
I just read that, "double or single-breasted". I knew it existed, but I never equated CSU with AF FA uniform. Since you've pointed it out, I have to admit it's [darn] funny.

Nick

Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2009, 04:25:50 AM

And is still supplemented by the various MAJCOM's for wear of Flight Suits. (i.e. AMC wears the flag on the left shoulder, ACC doesn't.)
That is true. But you said an AFI doesn't govern flight suits... which just ain't true anymore. :)
Texas Wing Staff Guy

PHall

Quote from: McLarty on December 18, 2009, 05:23:35 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2009, 04:25:50 AM

That is true. But you said an AFI doesn't govern flight suits... which just ain't true anymore. :)

I didn't say it, Lordmonar said it.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 17, 2009, 11:13:05 PM
Now I know why there was so much hearburn over the CSU. The Air Force actually has a double-breasted uniform worn by flight attendants on special duty aircrews like AF One.

Crikey.  Who woulda thunk?  I've never seen that one...though I've never been around Andrews or places like that, where those would be likely to be worn.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

I was just reading it....every other sentance was "MAJCOM this...and MAJCOM that".  The last rewrite was a step in the right direction...before that flight suits were not even mentioned.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on December 18, 2009, 07:13:42 AM

I was just reading it....every other sentance was "MAJCOM this...and MAJCOM that".  The last rewrite was a step in the right direction...before that flight suits were not even mentioned.

Flight Suits were considered "organizational clothing" and were covered by the MAJCOM Supplements.

Nick

I think one of the biggest motivators in bringing it into the AFI was so that there was a HAF directive to say "if you're not on flight status, don't wear your flight suit" instead of leaving it to the MAJCOMs.  I noticed that in the last couple years, I haven't seen my wing commander in a flight suit once.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

Spike

My local policy (CAP Squadron) is if you are flight crew/pilot or training to be on crew, you can wear your bag to the meeting when BDU's are on the schedule.  I also like to have at least one Cadet and a Senior in a Flight Suit when we go recruiting.  It is a tool that grabs members. 

gordo07

Any one know what the current is on what type of rank is allowed on the AF style green flight suit, if we still can only wear the plastic encased or if we can wear the sewn on ranks yet?

SARDOC

Quote from: gordo07 on December 14, 2010, 08:02:35 PM
Any one know what the current is on what type of rank is allowed on the AF style green flight suit, if we still can only wear the plastic encased or if we can wear the sewn on ranks yet?

ICL 25 Jan 2008   3. B.

4)  Embroidered grade insignia on flight suits.  Effective 15 March
2006, embroidered grade insignia, as well as the currently authorized plastic encased
insignia, is authorized on the CAP distinctive flight suits.  If embroidered grade is worn,
ultramarine blue grade insignia will be worn on the ultramarine blue NOMEX flight suit
and dark blue grade insignia will be worn on the dark blue utility uniform and new
NOMEX flight suit.

jeders

Quote from: SARDOC on December 14, 2010, 08:22:00 PM

ICL 25 Jan 2008   3. B.

4)  Embroidered grade insignia on flight suits.  Effective 15 March
2006, embroidered grade insignia, as well as the currently authorized plastic encased
insignia, is authorized on the CAP distinctive flight suits.  If embroidered grade is worn,
ultramarine blue grade insignia will be worn on the ultramarine blue NOMEX flight suit
and dark blue grade insignia will be worn on the dark blue utility uniform and new
NOMEX flight suit.

Might want to read again.

Emphasis mine. Still only the plastic encased insignia. If I remember correctly, the NB was considering sewn on for the green bag as an emergency item a while back, but then Vanguard found a supplier and the idea got dropped.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SARDOC

Yup...my bad...in my haste to post an answer to this guys question.  I posted the ICL for the BLUE Flight Suit.  The Green Flight suit still requires the plastic encased insignia.

Dad2-4

Searched 39-1 and interim letters as well as this and other flight suit threads, but I'm still confused. Without arguing the pros and cons of Nomex, does a green or blue flight suit have to be made of Nomex, and does it have to be of one exact pattern? And does the blue utility uniform (pseudo-flightsuit) have to be of a particular make? Or can I use an aftermarket copy?

SarDragon

CAPM 39-1, Table 2-4:

L
I
N
E
ItemWear Instruction/Materials
1Flight SuitGreen NOMEX. Flight crew members electing to wear this flight suit must meet the weight and grooming standards. Worn with the badges and devices described in Figure 2-19.

It loos pretty explicit to me. The description for the blue flight suit is worded a little differently, but still implies Nomex.

As for pattern, they can vary, depending on who made them and when they were made.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FARRIER

Quote from: Dad2-4 on December 15, 2010, 06:56:04 AM
And does the blue utility uniform (pseudo-flightsuit) have to be of a particular make? Or can I use an aftermarket copy?

The utility suits from Vangaurd don't come in my size. I'm waiting to hear back from them if they can special order. If not, I will have to go to aftermarket.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace