Main Menu

Ways people use an ELT

Started by TomSharrett, January 06, 2007, 10:19:12 PM

TomSharrett

ok Racine composite squadron was called on for a elt mission in SE wisconsin SARSAT got many pin points so we checked all the local airports
NOT AT ANY so next we get out we have strong elt contact ( do to the high terrain) then went all over walworth counts SW of racine and up a lil ways i cant tell where we found do to WELL I DIDNT KNOW AND EVEN CARE but we pin pointed into a neighborhood so we get a block radius and then a house all darked out SO we pull up with are van in the drive way turn every light on rotate and take down light we knock on the door and a 60 year old man comes out we ask him if he was a pilot and had an elt in his house he said what elt ( for refrence this was a old vet got banged up in the head in a war) so he says come on in he then tells us he doesnt have one walks out back on his porch and we had the Lper in with us to show him we had one on and as he steped in it turned off and he said i have one but its not turned on we were stunned he then told us " i only use it for emergencys and when im not home and he uses it for a burgerler alarm and he explained to us its supposed to fall down and turn on so ppl can save my house (the guy was a 2nd repeater my Squadron commander delt with him 4 years earlier for the same thing the man is mentaly unstable and he bought a elt at a swap meet.
Sharrett,Tommy C/2nd LT
Cadet XO  WI-059
Racine Composite Squadron

DNall

I hope you talked to him about the criminal penalties & took it home with you.

lordmonar

Quote from: DNall on January 06, 2007, 10:24:46 PM
I hope you talked to him about the criminal penalties & took it home with you.

That would have been illegal.  We cannot seize property.  But he could have notified the authorities.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

TomSharrett

We took the batteries out and glued the vintage 80's elt back together and we told him that next time police were going to get involved. Yes its a fedral crime to mess around with a  distress beaconn.

Take down lights are the white lights in the bottom part of a light bar.
Thats the name for the front one the right and left are Right alley and left alley. "police nicknames and common names"
Sharrett,Tommy C/2nd LT
Cadet XO  WI-059

SAR-EMT1

I believe the question is: what is a CAP vehicle doing with a full blown lightbar? - I can see a gumball or two but a lightbar?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BillB

The new regulation recently passed by the NB (forgot the number) allows yellow/white light bars on corporate vehicles. Provided they are allowed by local regulation. Years ago red lights were allowed, but were dropped when local regulations limited their use to specific types of units, fire trucks and ambulances mainly.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

The yellow and yellow/white light bars have been authorized for a few years. They were re-authorized with the orange triangle requirement.

For the most part, people today are more used to seeing a light bar on an emergency/service/repair/etc type vehicle than a gum ball or two.

SJFedor

Quote from: TomSharrett on January 06, 2007, 10:19:12 PM
ok Racine composite squadron was called on for a elt mission in SE wisconsin SARSAT got many pin points so we checked all the local airports
NOT AT ANY so next we get out we have strong elt contact ( do to the high terrain) then went all over walworth counts SW of racine and up a lil ways i cant tell where we found do to WELL I DIDNT KNOW AND EVEN CARE but we pin pointed into a neighborhood so we get a block radius and then a house all darked out SO we pull up with are van in the drive way turn every light on rotate and take down light we knock on the door and a 60 year old man comes out we ask him if he was a pilot and had an elt in his house he said what elt ( for refrence this was a old vet got banged up in the head in a war) so he says come on in he then tells us he doesnt have one walks out back on his porch and we had the Lper in with us to show him we had one on and as he steped in it turned off and he said i have one but its not turned on we were stunned he then told us " i only use it for emergencys and when im not home and he uses it for a burgerler alarm and he explained to us its supposed to fall down and turn on so ppl can save my house (the guy was a 2nd repeater my Squadron commander delt with him 4 years earlier for the same thing the man is mentaly unstable and he bought a elt at a swap meet.

Not trying to nitpick, but I recommend inserting a period in there every now and then. That is one huge runon sentence.

Billy Madison comes to mind...

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

flyguy06

You do realize tha in aviation cirlcles the abbreviation ppl mean private pilots license

CLB

Quote from: SJFedor on January 09, 2007, 11:04:55 AM
Quote from: TomSharrett on January 06, 2007, 10:19:12 PM

Not trying to nitpick, but I recommend inserting a period in there every now and then. That is one huge runon sentence.

Billy Madison comes to mind...

Yes.......I sincerely hope you didn't pin on C/2Lt after an essay written like this is. 

It took me 3 times reading through to understand what was going on. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

SarDragon

I sent him a PM concerning his writing "style". I have not yet received a response.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TomSharrett

Becoming an officer doesnt make you write or spell better.

Just a note..........

Also im used to myspace....................   ;D
Sharrett,Tommy C/2nd LT
Cadet XO  WI-059

Pylon

Quote from: TomSharrett on January 10, 2007, 03:40:32 PM
Becoming an officer doesnt make you write or spell better.

But writing better and paying more attention to details such as spelling and grammar do make you a better officer (and a better communicator, and thus a more effective leader).

Nothing but attention to how you communicate and working on it will make your writing or spelling improve.  Just pinning on one insignia or another can't do this for you.  However, when pinning on certain insignia people do have expectations of you.  How you communicate will likely be one of those expectations.

I may not expect a new C/AB to be able to communicate effectively as a leader, write a Staff Duty Analysis, draft a memorandum in CAPR 10-1 format, and give a great impromptu speech.  But I would expect any Mitchell cadet in my squadron to be able to do so with only minor assistance.  I would expect any Earhart cadet to do it with virtually no assistance.

And remember:  Don't perform for that job or grade you're in.  Always perform, dress and act for the job you aspire to. 

Just a thought or two for the day.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eagle400

Quote from: arajca on January 07, 2007, 02:43:43 PM
The yellow and yellow/white light bars have been authorized for a few years. They were re-authorized with the orange triangle requirement.

Didn't CAP get rid of the orange triangle?  I think I heard that somewhere.