How to contact National Commander by e-mail?

Started by capchiro, May 30, 2019, 01:37:35 AM

capchiro

Does anyone have the e-mail address of Major General Mark Smith?  I have not been able to locate it.  Thanks
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

NIN

I have it.

But really,  why do you need to email the boss VFR direct?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shawn W.

I would tend to generally advise that you utilize your chain of command to help mitigate whatever the issue is.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

SW

Fubar

He's a Lieutenant Colonel and a Squadron Commander. I bet he understands the chain of command.

Fester

Quote from: Fubar on May 30, 2019, 05:05:13 AM
He's a Lieutenant Colonel and a Squadron Commander. I bet he understands the chain of command.

I can't think of a single valid reason why he would need to go directly to the NHQ/CC.  No matter his grade or his position.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

NIN

Quote from: Fester on May 30, 2019, 06:37:41 AM
I can't think of a single valid reason why he would need to go directly to the NHQ/CC.  No matter his grade or his position.

Well, that's not entirely true, either. I was literally in an email conversation with the generals yesterday that I started. There are legitimate reasons for me (A lowly Lt Col) to email the commander.

Something to keep in mind: the National Commander is also our CEO, but he's a volunteer like you and me.  If you think you get a lot of emails about CAP on a daily basis, imagine what General Smith gets.

General Phelka and I are old friends so we catch up all the time on CAP and non-CAP stuff, but I have to be incredibly respectful of my friend's time now, because between CAP, home and his job, he's tremendously busy. There is only so much bandwidth. Just yesterday, he mentioned being away from his computer for a couple hours and returning to 40+ unread emails. And he's the vice commander. Can you imagine the abject _flood_ of emails General Smith gets on a daily basis?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Being personal friends with the CAP Vice Commander and not knowing who he is, and wanting to email him directly, are not exactly the same thing. You're also on the NHQ Staff, Nin.

Although I don't think anyone's grade here really relates to their accessibility to higher headquarters echelons; but it's a matter of "should this person be in direct contact with that person?"

I just don't know what the need would be to contact the CAP/CC about anything directly related to a squadron-level matter, even if it's a "thank you" (which can be send via email to NHQ to be passed on, or by snail mail).

Anywho, you can get the CAP/CC's email address by going into the Ops Quals, searching his name, and pulling up his member info. Doesn't mean I recommend it. But it's not hidden from the CAP universe. I'm certainly not going to share anyone's email address on an open web forum.

xray328

It's out there on CAP literature as well, it's no secret. And that being said, why are we reluctant to give it out? If he wants to email the National Commander that's on him.

FW

The National Commander gets emails from everyone, every day. Go ahead and add to the Que.  One more email should not be that much of a burden, however I don't think it will be much use.  There isn't much he can do at an individual level, except offer advice, and you can get much more than that here on CT... ;D

capchiro

Thank you Gentlemen....  I spent 2 hours on E-services and the national website last night and I can not find it.  I have 40 years CAP experience and I understand the chain of command.  I am also a legal officer.  I need to contact the National Commander and would appreciate any help I can get.  Not long ago we had a national commander that had an open door policy.  Please and thank you.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

PHall

xray328

MSG Mac

Now he's going to be swamped by e-mails, asking why little John and Janey aren't Cadet Colonels, after 4 months in CAP.  Could have sent that in a private message.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

xray328

It's publicly available, it's not like the guys asking for his cell phone number or home address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on May 30, 2019, 08:36:39 PM
It's publicly available, it's not like the guys asking for his cell phone number or home address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cell: 800-588-2300

Address: 1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, IL 60613

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: capchiro on May 30, 2019, 06:20:03 PM
I am also a legal officer. 

I'm just curious: how can you be a commander _and_ a legal officer?

Aren't those mutually exclusive?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

That was my first thought, and I could see a lot of places people would cry
"conflict of interest", but there doesn't seem to be a prohibition.

111-1 looks to be quiet on the matter, and 40-2 just indicates that you can't be
a JAG in the same unit you are a CC, which since all JAGs are appointed at wing or higher now,
wouldn't be the case.

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_020001I_2_Jan_13_ICL_17_Nov_15_IC_AF3D3687D1D1D.pdf

Section 15(c) on page 5: "A commander who is an attorney will not appoint himself as a legal officer in his command."

It implies you can be e.g. a wing legal officer if a squadron commander, but not a group legal officer if also the group commander.

Eclipse

There are no Unit or Group Legal officers. Only Wing or higher.

Haven't been for 10+ years.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2019, 09:19:39 PM
Cell: 800-588-2300

Address: 1060 W. Addison St., Chicago, IL 60613

I saw what you did there. Nice.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)