Main Menu

CERT

Started by Angus, September 23, 2009, 01:16:23 PM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 04, 2009, 04:57:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2009, 04:25:00 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 04, 2009, 02:13:14 PMThat might be good advice.  HOWEVER, what would your duties be in CAP during certain types of diasters ???.  Generally in natural diasters, it's CAP's aircraft taking photos & depending upon your wing's agreements with state emergency management officials, probably no ground team activity (perhaps with the exception of some radio stations/operators to keep in contact with aircraft)

Hmm. I guess all that sandbagging, house-to-house well- being checks, ARC disaster assessments, and related activities we've been doing in the last few years didn't really happen.  OK, my bad, I'll just start making phone calls to have people turn in the DR-V's and SAR Ribbons (most had too many anyway).  ::)
Sorry, I hit the button before adding a comment ;D
Again I think you will find that ground disaster support will vary greatly among the wings throughout the US.  IF his wing does or doesn't have a plan than the member will have to make a choice on where they feel they can best contribute their time & skills.

My personal opinion is CAP in many wings are searching for missions for ground team members to do (but the reality is that team manning/availability may just not be there when needed anyways, and it becomes just another paperwork & time spent on training exercise) .  IF you want to throw sandbags around or assist the Red Cross (we have no formal agreement with them nationwide at this time -- perhaps there's a reason for this ???) than by all means do this.
I think that CERT, is CERT (with the community determining its' missions), and IF the wing decides that this is something they would like to support,than the CAP member will have to get the training anyways.
RM 

wuzafuzz

Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2009, 04:13:45 PM
You're forgetting that CERT is not a CAP-recognized ES qualification which means that we're intending to deploy CAP members to do CERT duties.
We don't have a SQTR for CERT but it can be entered in eSerives now, and presumably shows on 101 cards.  I'm thinking that makes it a CAP-recognized ES certification.  Could be wrong...
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

There actually is a SQTR for it, but the only thing on it is completion of the DHS CERT training. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2009, 04:13:45 PM
You're forgetting that CERT is not a CAP-recognized ES qualification which means that we're intending to deploy CAP members to do CERT duties.

Not or now?

Makes a big difference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Hoorah

Capt Rivera

//Signed//