Its volunteers perform 90 percent of the inland search and rescue missions in th

Started by wingnut55, November 24, 2008, 10:58:47 PM

O-Rex

Quote from: FW on November 25, 2008, 04:18:17 AM

A CAP aircraft was circling ground zero at the request of  Gov. Pitaki on 9/12  It was the first civilian aircraft to fly over the site and take pictures.  The pictures show ground zero to still be smoldering from the fires and explosions.  CNN was the first news agency to report this fact and was picked up later by many other agencies.  The aircrew was given a commendation from Gen Bowling and there is a painting of the sortie at NHQ.  Prints have been given out to members for the last 7 years.  

Let's take the kudos where we can get them.

For those who see the glass "half-empty," being inside the organization, sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees: take a step back, or outside of CAP, and you may find that we really do make a difference.  Can you put a price tag on one human life?  If we save only one person, then I think our efforts across the nation are truly worth it.

As for the CAP 9-11 painting, there are times when we 'guild the lily' in the name of history.  I recall another iconic painting of George Washington striking a rather regal pose crossing the Delaware River.  I hardly think that the picture was accurate, and please keep in mind that he and his troops were making movement-to-contact to what was by today's tactical definition a guerrilla raid against the Hessian Garrison.

If you could travel back through time, you would probably find that many pivotal historical moments were not as spectacular as portrayed throughout the years.

History is 'collective memory'  most of our 'mature' members will agree that memories, like wine, mellow and may get a bit fuzzy over time: what remains is the spirit of our deeds rather than the details.

Pumbaa

QuoteLet's take the kudos where we can get them.

You mean you don't want the naysayers to rag on CAP????  How un-CAPTalkish of you!

wingnut55

naysayers

We need to spend less time patting ourselves on the back and more time becoming a team member of the SAR community. I am a very active member of CAP over 300 hours of flight time in 3 years, from Fossett, CD, to Archer. I am a big supporter of our members, However, when I see airbrushed photographs being released as news, and I watch PAOs on national TV talking out their %&#, I question some peoples motives and lack of professionalism.

We have a history steeped in bravery and support of our nation. Many CAP members have died doing the mission. We are disrespectful of their legacy by being false and blow hards. CAP NHQ needs to lead the nations CAP membership.