New job for me

Started by WoodlandSARman, August 06, 2007, 03:36:57 AM

WoodlandSARman

I forgot air is apart of operations but air/operations is supporting my guys and gals on the ground and I don't want to see a GT divert because we had a cap flight go down because someone decided to CHAIN down some birds. We had the besds birds in the wing there, I think all by two maybe were there.

Not naming any names but were were told not to worry about the chains because weather was coming in pretty quick (never came). Before all this they asked who wanted to do ramp ops then later asked who had ram training (I never raised my hand because was was re-certing for GTL)

"Apparently" the call to leave them chained down was made by someone that works or has worked/been to NBB!!!
I went to some of the ramp guys/ladies and they said they ran out of tie-down rope and were told to chain them down (two of them). I asked them if anyone had some really thick paracorde laying around or stocn paracorde and they said a few people did. I told them to get it and we will do it the right way and I was told my someone else not to worry about it. I then told this person that I only had a background in aircraft maintenance and 10 years of flight line on HEAVIES and lights but if they want to leave it then thats their call, I don't know anything..... We had plenty of time to go out and do it right.

What was happening with the KY highbird is apparently they were transmitting on full power and our highbird was getting all the traffic and the guy on the radio on out highbird I don't think had done it much. For all we know the KY bird was on the other side of the river a few miles away and we would have got their traffic anywho.

Our first guy in the highbird was GREAT, I would LOVE to have him on a redcap. Guy was quick and to the point, instead of useless talk when you called him you got back "ground team 6 hybird go" instead of "Ground team 6. This is highbird. Go ahead. Over. He would also break a ton instead of saying over then starting another transmission.

I can't tell you how much time he saved everyone.

Really stressfull when you are being evaluated on your team leader sign off as the team leader by the man that is the director of NESA and is on National staff..........

Its like I tell everyone, on a mission or SAR Ex or Eval, things will NEVER go your way. I mean I sat in the GT van with my team at an airport in the middle of your lost lane and good luck blvd for a good 4 hours. Its life :) It took highbird an hour to report our find..... its life :)
SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

SJFedor

There's always some silly people trying to chain a plane down. If you don't have the proper stuff to secure the aircraft, you chock it, and someone stays with it and watches that it doesn't float away until someone goes to walmart and gets some cheap but effective rope.

I heard that guy, I was the first plane of the day up when I heard you guys. He is very concise, has a great flow, and sounded like he was getting the job done. For our eval, we actually elected to not use a person as high bird, but instead put up an airborne repeater and let the room of MRO's handle it back at base.

Our practice eval was sweet, because we had no comm downtime with 2 repeaters, one would go up, the other would land, refuel, rest a bit, and spin back up while the other was coming down. Unfortunately, our 2nd repeater broke, so we were stuck with one. So, during down times for refuel and rest, we had to make do and retask another aircraft to do relay.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)