Civil Air Patrol finds downed aircraft in Carter County Montana

Started by vento, December 01, 2014, 05:44:26 PM

LTC Don

Great Job Montana Wing!

What was that antenna array strapped to the strut about?  Haven't seen that setup before, especially on what looks like a G1000 182.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Flying Pig

Is that the antenna set up for the program to find lost Alzheimers/dementia patients? 

sardak

QuoteGreat Job Montana Wing!
All operational resources came from Wyoming and South Dakota Wings. The plane was found in Montana.

Mike

Майор Хаткевич

QuoteKittlemann also said the large amount of finger buttes in Montana may have caused the accident when paired with the low visibility conditions.

I have no idea what that is. I don't think I've ever even heard the word.

THRAWN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 02, 2014, 04:56:23 PM
QuoteKittlemann also said the large amount of finger buttes in Montana may have caused the accident when paired with the low visibility conditions.

I have no idea what that is. I don't think I've ever even heard the word.

A butte /bjuːt/ is an isolated hill with steep, often vertical sides and a small, relatively flat top; buttes are smaller than mesas, plateaus, and table landforms. In some regions, such as the Midwestern United States and Northwestern United States, the word is used for any hill.[citation needed] The word butte comes from a French word meaning "small hill"; its use is prevalent in the Western United States, including the southwest, where "mesa" is also used for the larger landform. Because of their distinctive shapes, buttes are frequently landmarks in plains and mountainous areas. In differentiating mesas and buttes, geographers use the rule of thumb that a mesa has a top that is wider than its height, while a butte has a top that is narrower than its height.[1]....COURTESY OF OUR WIKIPEDIA FRIENDS....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

If you watched 40's, 50's and 60's cowboys and Indians movies, I am pretty sure yall saw mesas and buttes even though you did not know what they were called... Recall those, apply the definitions, and now you know why the buttes are called "finger buttes."
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

I'm 24, and just shy of 13 years in the States. Westerns are not something I've watched.

Luis R. Ramos

Ok, a hint.

Rent movies with John Wayne. Most when he portrayed a cowboy. He would also portray US Cavalry officers. Try these:

Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Big Trail
Rio Grande

Oh, my memory is failing me! I cannot remember others. Gregory Peck, Dean Martin... Randolph Scott.

Maybe also try Clint Eastwood, of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. He did a very large variety of films. Portrayed I think the name of his character was Detective Callahan in The Dirty Harry series. Clint in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly; A Fistful of Dollars; and I think For A Few Dollars More portrays an unnamed cowboy. The funny thing is that Clint's pictures are supposed to be American westerns yet were directed by Ennio Morricone, an Italian. Cannot remember though if it has Buttes...

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 02, 2014, 05:59:40 PM
I'm 24, and just shy of 13 years in the States. Westerns are not something I've watched.

Have you seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind?
Devils's Tower is a butte.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2014, 09:38:28 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 02, 2014, 05:59:40 PM

Have you seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind?
Devils's Tower is a butte.

I get it now. I assume finger buttes are smaller, similar to pillars? Google really didn't pull up any good images outside of fields...which is why I posted in the first place. Learn something new every day.

AirAux

Wait, what?  You are 24 and have posted over 200,000 posts on CAPTALK?  You do know there is a world out there, don't you??  Are you that little guy with the beard that sits on the mountain with the Campbell Soup recipes??

ColonelJack

Quote from: AirAux on December 02, 2014, 10:49:08 PM
Wait, what?  You are 24 and have posted over 200,000 posts on CAPTALK?  You do know there is a world out there, don't you??  Are you that little guy with the beard that sits on the mountain with the Campbell Soup recipes??

Um, he has posted 4,400 and change.  He wrote the post that was the 200,000th on the board, however.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 02, 2014, 11:33:09 PM

Um, he has posted 4,400 and change.  He wrote the post that was the 200,000th on the board, however.

Jack

What he said. A2Capt is the 300,000th post-maker: http://captalk.net/index.php?action=profile;u=1071

Date Registered:07-02-2007, 22:26:31

It's actually amazing that I have as many as I do...over the years I've taken multi-month sabbaticals.

LSThiker

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 02, 2014, 09:56:36 PM
I get it now. I assume finger buttes are smaller, similar to pillars? Google really didn't pull up any good images outside of fields...which is why I posted in the first place. Learn something new every day.

Essentially, yes.  There is no official "finger butte" definition.  But generally, yes, the smaller pillar buttes or buttes that look more like a hand with fingers.

There is also an actual place in Montana called Finger Butte.  It is a mountain peak near Baker, MT.

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 02, 2014, 11:59:43 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on December 02, 2014, 11:33:09 PM

Jack

What he said. A2Capt is the 300,000th post-maker: http://captalk.net/index.php?action=profile;u=1071

Date Registered:07-02-2007, 22:26:31

It's actually amazing that I have as many as I do...over the years I've taken multi-month sabbaticals.

But you ARE in the top 10 in the post count.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

I'm glad the aircraft was found to help provide some closure to the community. Definitely a sad outcome.

Can we really strap whatever we want to the sides of our planes? I'd like to know what that antenna is for.

Lastly, and I obviously say this squarely planted in my armchair, if you're going to be interviewed by the media about the grim task of locating a crashed aircraft with fatalities, it would probably be best to not look so happy about it.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It looks like some sort of DF antenna. Hard to tell w/o a better view.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JacobAnn

Quote from: Fubar on December 03, 2014, 03:45:59 AMif you're going to be interviewed by the media about the grim task of locating a crashed aircraft with fatalities, it would probably be best to not look so happy about it.

I know the police receive training in this sort of thing.  I would think at least our PAOs do as well.