Aircrew equipment list (scanner)

Started by usafcap1, December 25, 2013, 09:53:15 AM

usafcap1

Does anyone know where I could find some kind of "shopping" list for aircrew? Because I have looked everywhere. Or kind of packing list of some short.

Thank you
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

AlphaSigOU

Off the top of my head... anyone else please feel free to add to this list

Helmet bag (to keep most of your stuff)
Plotter
E6B or E6B calculator
Aeronautical charts
Nomex flight gloves
Knee board
Headset
Aircrew task guide
Mission Aircrew Reference Text
Pens, pencils, highlighters
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 25, 2013, 01:40:24 PM

Plotter
E6B or E6B calculator
Aeronautical charts
Nomex flight gloves
Knee board
Headset
Aircrew task guide

You left off a couple things.

Puke sacks (small trash bags will do.)
Spare batteries for whatever electronics you're carrying.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Puke sacks - a quart Ziploc bag with a paper towel in the bottom. The towel keeps the slosh and spills down. Pack two towels, and if you have time remove one so you can wipe your mouth when you're done.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MacGruff

Quote from: SarDragon on December 25, 2013, 06:55:10 PM
Puke sacks - a quart Ziploc bag with a paper towel in the bottom. The towel keeps the slosh and spills down. Pack two towels, and if you have time remove one so you can wipe your mouth when you're done.

Oooh!  Good idea!

I'll have to remember to do this on my upcoming training mission flight (this Friday..)  Do NOT want to repeat what happened on the last one...

>:D :'( :-\

PHall

Quote from: MacGruff on December 26, 2013, 01:28:07 AM

Oooh!  Good idea!

I'll have to remember to do this on my upcoming training mission flight (this Friday..)  Do NOT want to repeat what happened on the last one...

>:D :'( :-\

Throw a couple packets of Wet Wipes in there too so you can clean up if the the "Urge to Regurge" strikes! :o

SarDragon

I carry several when I'm flying. Others appreciate it, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Slim

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 25, 2013, 01:40:24 PM

Plotter
E6B or E6B calculator
Aeronautical charts
Nomex flight gloves
Knee board
Headset
Aircrew task guide

Pretty much what I carry, with a few add-ons..

• Logbook-fill it out at the end of the flight, and get the MP to sign it, include the mission number.
  • I carried a couple of drafting triangles, a 45 and a 30 degree.  They make for a much better straight edge than the back side of a course plotter.
  • Headset-I'm not sure how much of a factor it is now, but when I was actively flying, corporate planes were kinda rare, and weren't equipped with cans for each seat.  If you were flying in a member-owned plane (this is going back about 20 years or so), you had to hope the pilot/owner even had an intercom, let alone 4 place and the headsets to go with them.  After a few missions doing without, I went out and bought my own headset.  I still use it on the rare times I fly today, I much prefer to use my own equipment.
  • Pack of gum (for pressure changes and to freshen up post purge), dramamine or something to fight motion sickness (then you may not need the gum), asprin/tylenol, a granola bar or two, and some water.  Could be a bottle, or a canteen.  I have a plastic pint flask for this purpose; enough to keep the whistle wet, but not so much that you'll have an urgent use for the relief tube, and small enough to stow it in a leg pocket on a zoom bag.

Slim

SarDragon

Oh, yeah, one more bit on barfing. Slim mentioned gum. If you're prone to barfing, get some ginger gum, or ginger candy. It works as well as Dramamine, and doesn't make you drowsy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

I put a cup or two of kitty litter in the bag to soak up the liquids.  Paper towels and sani-wipes to clean up afterwards, and a paper bag to put the used zip lock into so we don't have to look at the mess.

Lacking all that, well you can use you bdu hat.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Walkman

Only quart size? I bring the gallon size.  :o

lordmonar

1.  Head Light, with red lenses.
2.  Hand light with red and white lenses.
3.  Piddle Pack.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sleepwalker

FYI- There is a great little chewable tablet available at most pharmacy stores by OTC called 'NAUZENE".  I keep a few in my pocket, and chew one just before I go flying.  If I start to feel a little 'motion' then I pop another one.  I have been on three flights so far where my fellow scanner sitting in the back seat next to me has lost it, but I have felt (mostly) just fine, and have yet to get sick.  These chewables taste good, and work great.  I credit them with keeping me *just* enough in control of my stomach on several occasions.   
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Walkman

Quote from: Sleepwalker on December 26, 2013, 06:27:32 PM
FYI- There is a great little chewable tablet available at most pharmacy stores by OTC called 'NAUZENE".  I keep a few in my pocket, and chew one just before I go flying.  If I start to feel a little 'motion' then I pop another one.  I have been on three flights so far where my fellow scanner sitting in the back seat next to me has lost it, but I have felt (mostly) just fine, and have yet to get sick.  These chewables taste good, and work great.  I credit them with keeping me *just* enough in control of my stomach on several occasions.   

Any drowsiness?

Eclipse

Seriously, I think we need to de-emphasize the number of times people get sick on CAP missions.

I've been in 14 years and it's never happened to me - maybe a little queasy on a rare occasion, but that's it,
and I think the instances where I've heard of anyone getting sick, including cadets on o-rides number under 5.

Sure be prepared, but it's a rare enough problem that it still gets notice when it happens.

GA flights in a Cessna are more waggily then a commercial flight, but far less then even a tame roller coaster.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 06:32:43 PM
Seriously, I think we need to de-emphasize the number of times people get sick on CAP missions.

I've been in 14 years and it's never happened to me - maybe a little queasy on a rare occasion, but that's it,
and I think the instances where I've heard of anyone getting sick, including cadets on o-rides number under 5.

Sure be prepared, but it's a rare enough problem that it still gets notice when it happens.

GA flights in a Cessna are more waggily then a commercial flight, but far less then even a tame roller coaster.

I'm sure you're right. Unfortunately for me, I get motion sickness very easily. We have a family history of those kinds of things on my dad's side of the family. It kinda' sucks as I've only been on 1 CAP flight where I wasn't green around the gills at the end. Air ops are something I really want to do more of, so I keep trying everything I can.

Sleepwalker

FYI - NAUZENE does not cause any drowsiness. 
A Thiarna, déan trócaire

Slim

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 06:32:43 PM

Agreed.  I've never lost it while flying either; I've come close a few times, but was able to stem the tide with outside reference and a properly aimed air vent.  On the other hand, I've never gotten into a plane without at least one tucked in a leg pocket, seat back pocket, or otherwise within easy reach. 

Slim

BHartman007

I've never even been remotely nauseous while flying, but then I've always been at the controls. I don't know if it would feel different not being the guy steering.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets