How Do I choose my ES "job"?

Started by will3947, February 25, 2013, 01:32:00 AM

Eclipse

Yes, "fake".  That's my opinion of online, open book tests.  They take less then 1/2 attention and can usually be knocked out while watching youtube, especially if you have an even cursory knowledge of the material.  Check-boxes, nothing more, which is why its so frustrating that getting members to
take care of them, especially cadets is like splitting teeth.

As to being "required".  Irrelevant.  You can knock them out on your phone while driving to the class, or in line waiting to register, not that anyone
ever checks (or at least they don't check in the foreground).

100/200/700/800 Yeager, just add them to the piles of exercises in the F3 key.

Nothing more.

300, 400, BISC, SMC, those classes require time commitment and participation.  Very useful and "real".

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Flyer,

I will check why for the age variance.  I know that the FEMA rules withhold 300/400 certificates to those below 18.  They also recommend at least a year (not required between taking classes)  It might be a maturity issue.  At the same time, there are communities that would require IS100, 200, 700, 800 for their Junior Firefighters (as early as 14 y.o.in some places) and Volunteer EMT's (16 y.o. in some places).

They may think that someone under 18 may not have the experience or maturity to act in a management capacity on an intermediate/expanding/advanced incident which is who the target audience is for 300 and 400.  This might be the closet FEMA can get on regulating it.

Having been an EMT since I was 18 and a Paramedic since 19.  I can tell you some of the looks people would give me when they realized I was the "Senior" (certification wise) Thus in charge...when you are a Volunteer 19 Year old, ordering 20 Year Career Firefighters and having the authority to launch the regional Medevac helo (Which the Career Fire Battalion Chief didn't have the authority to do)  Some people really get chapped.    It's a lot of responsibility at that age, so much that I was already been to boot camp, can order Thousands of dollars worth of resources with the touch of a button, had standing orders to issue Narcotics as I saw fit....but I was not responsible enough to drink beer.  Not everything makes sense but I will research the question utilizing my training department.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2013, 07:29:13 PM
Yes, "fake".  That's my opinion of online, open book tests.  They take less then 1/2 attention and can usually be knocked out while watching youtube, especially if you have an even cursory knowledge of the material.  Check-boxes, nothing more, which is why its so frustrating that getting members to
take care of them, especially cadets is like splitting teeth.

As to being "required".  Irrelevant.  You can knock them out on your phone while driving to the class, or in line waiting to register, not that anyone
ever checks (or at least they don't check in the foreground).

100/200/700/800 Yeager, just add them to the piles of exercises in the F3 key.

Nothing more.

300, 400, BISC, SMC, those classes require time commitment and participation.  Very useful and "real".

I concur   :clap:

will3947

docbiochem33

In an earlier post I mentioned ICS 300 and ICS 400.  These courses are not required for initial entry into the ES training and Education part of E.S. for most members.  If one wants to continue and would like to become something more than a ground team member or leader they will probably need the courses.  One will have to check on the requirements for each job.