Starting a Ground Team

Started by WMinear, June 10, 2012, 04:56:33 AM

WMinear

After talking with my SQ C, I have decided I'm going to put together a ground team for our squadron. The problem is no one in our squadron has any ground team training. I am a qualified Mission Pilot, but interested in expanding on to something new. I have looked in Ops Quals to see what is required, but when I look at CAP University I don't really see any of the training required for a Ground Team Member. I was wondering if someone has some suggestions on where to start?

I'm not really able attend Lisa or another long training event with my work schedule.

I am a Senior Member if that matters.

Thanks
Wes

Eclipse

Download the task guides and other curriculum from NESA's site and CAP NHQ and just get cracking.

Take things step by step, and when you are confident of the skills, request some SETs come down from your Group or Wing to sign things off.

http://www.nesa.cap.gov/gsarcurr.htm

http://www.capmembers.com/emergency_services/operations_support/

A good way to start is UDF - with two tasks you're able to go on missions, and many of the tasks cross over.  The equipment
requirements are a lot lighter, and most of the tasks can be accomplished in a normal meeting setting.

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

Quote from: WMinear on June 10, 2012, 04:56:33 AM
After talking with my SQ C, I have decided I'm going to put together a ground team for our squadron. The problem is no one in our squadron has any ground team training. I am a qualified Mission Pilot, but interested in expanding on to something new. I have looked in Ops Quals to see what is required, but when I look at CAP University I don't really see any of the training required for a Ground Team Member. I was wondering if someone has some suggestions on where to start?

I'm not really able attend Lisa or another long training event with my work schedule.

I am a Senior Member if that matters.

Thanks
Wes

What wing are you in?

EDIT:  Duh, it's right below your name...  Contact wing and see where the nearest ground team qualified members are and open a dialogue.  You are gonna need someone who is qualified to get you signed off on all the tasks.

WMinear

I'm in the AR wing as you saw, but I was curious if there was any online training like on the flying side, you have to take a test for the 60-1 and full out the questionnaire. I've read about the 24 hour and 72 hour pack. I guess I should start putting that together... I have read the requirements for the packs I just need to figure how I want it.

So what is the difference between a UDF and a ground team/ground team member?

Eclipse

Everything you need is in those links I posted above - all the task guides, presentations, etc.

UDF is basically a resource for doing aircraft searches in urban areas where there is little to no need for team self-sufficiency.
For the most part, Ramp checks and DF searchs.

Ground Team members train to be self-sufficient for at least 24 hours in field and disaster conditions, in addition to the standard
airport and DF searches.

"That Others May Zoom"