Just a quick question/HLS

Started by usafcap1, May 29, 2012, 01:53:19 AM

usafcap1

Just a quick question. Is there anyone here who does Homeland Security missions? Because I am very interested in this type of mission and do not know where to get started. I will be a SM in 8 months. I am just trying to come up with a plan of action.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Eclipse

Those types of missions are generally coordinated through relationships and taskings at the wing level or higher, and normally
require a fair amount of experience and performance history.

Most of the ones I'm aware of / participated in were aircrew work of one kind or another.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2012, 02:06:48 AM
Those types of missions are generally coordinated through relationships and taskings at the wing level or higher, and normally

Most of the ones I'm aware of / participated in were aircrew work of one kind or another.

+1.

We have a regular homeland security tasking.  It's coordinated by the Wing DO who tasks squadrons with providing an aircraft/aircrew for the specific mission.  The DO rotates it around the squadrons to insure everyone gets a crack at it.

The best way to get involved is to train for and participate in all CAP missions.  If you are a dependable regular you are much more likely to get the plum missions than if you are one of those that only show up when it's a mission YOU want to do.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Майор Хаткевич

Not to take this thread "that way", but given how low-profile our HLS mission operators are about it (as they should be!), when will there be a cry for THEM to wear berets? :)

I'm kidding of course, but from all my years in CAP, if ever there was a super-dupper-secret club, HLS participants are it.

Woodsy

I know you have to be a CAP member for at least 2 years before you can even apply for the CD security clearance, but does time as a cadet count, or is it 2 years as a SM? 

Eclipse

The term is CN now.

You must be at least 21 with 2 years total membership.  Cadet time counts.

"That Others May Zoom"

usafcap1

Quote from: Eclipse on June 10, 2012, 10:59:52 PM

You must be at least 21 with 2 years total membership.  Cadet time counts.

+1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Eclipse

CN = Counter Narcotics

CD = Character Development

"That Others May Zoom"

usafcap1

Quote from: Eclipse on June 14, 2012, 04:23:22 AM
CN = Counter Narcotics

CD = Character Development

Ahhh I see.

Thank you.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2012, 02:06:48 AM

So it is more of a who you know than a what you know.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Eclipse

Quote from: usafcap1 on July 07, 2012, 04:47:53 AM

No.  The agencies requesting these types of missions will not be dealing with a local unit, especially
for the initial contacts, and when you're dealing with sensitive situations, you put your most experienced,
proven operators in the seats and the ICP to insure things get done properly, expediently, and quietly.

It is common for members of units below wing to participate, but not likely that anyone below wing is
going to coordinate.  The best way to become involved is to train and perform in a specialty likely to
be involved and prove yourself.  Once you do that, the opportunities make themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2012, 05:07:14 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on July 07, 2012, 04:47:53 AM

No.  The agencies requesting these types of missions will not be dealing with a local unit, especially
for the initial contacts, and when you're dealing with sensitive situations, you put your most experienced,
proven operators in the seats and the ICP to insure things get done properly, expediently, and quietly.

It is common for members of units below wing to participate, but not likely that anyone below wing is
going to coordinate.  The best way to become involved is to train and perform in a specialty likely to
be involved and prove yourself.  Once you do that, the opportunities make themselves.

It also may get down to who is available when the mission needs to be accomplished.    Normal weekdays (0730 to 1730) might be difficult for some to get away.  At other times a larger staffing pool likely is available.   One of our IC's recent commented that the 'silver' force (retirees) provided much of the support during the weekdays.
RM

Eclipse

Does that really need to be said?  Especially with the RM undertone of CAP being a burden to its members?

At least in my wing, missions are not performed by LCD personnel just because they answered the phone.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2012, 04:09:17 PM
Does that really need to be said?  Especially with the RM undertone of CAP being a burden to its members?

At least in my wing, missions are not performed by LCD personnel just because they answered the phone.

I think on "scheduled" type activities, it likely much easier to get personnel (larger manpower pool)  who can adjust their schedules.  Unscheduled responses will get who is qualified and available.     There's nothing wrong with our dedicated members who are retirees  :clap: :clap: :clap: responding to the call, they are just as or more qualified than the younger members, especially in the air ops side as well as radio communications support.  (Maybe for some the ground team side might be a challenge :-\).

All members need to be realistic as to their availability, I think at time we have some members that get qualified in various ES specialties that are NEVER available on an unscheduled/immediate response (only available for advance scheduled missions or training), and that's just the nature of CAP.  Many of our wing IC's know who they can count on to respond (depending upon the time of the day), even if a general page/text alert is issued to all ES personnel.   (as opposed to a volunteer fire department and/or volunteer emergency medical first responder/ambulance service).
RM             

Private Investigator

LCD means?

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 07, 2012, 05:05:58 PM

LCD means?

Lowest Common Denominator

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

IF one is qualified to perform in an ES specialty and is available than that is it  -- the IC can than determine who he/she will utilize based upon the likely geographic response area, weather, and other factors.  All those "secret squirrel" HLS missions can be performed by ANYONE who is qualified in ES specialty that is needed for the mission (likely aircrew type positions).  Of course those that think they are elitist in CAP ES will try to tell the masses otherwise :o
RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 07, 2012, 07:38:19 PM

IF one is qualified to perform in an ES specialty and is available than that is it  -- the IC can than determine who he/she will utilize based upon the likely geographic response area, weather, and other factors.  All those "secret squirrel" HLS missions can be performed by ANYONE who is qualified in ES specialty that is needed for the mission (likely aircrew type positions).  Of course those that think they are elitist in CAP ES will try to tell the masses otherwise

Please only speak for the apparent challenges in your own wing.

"That Others May Zoom"