Homeland Security question???

Started by usafcap1, January 01, 2012, 12:12:17 AM

lordmonar

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 01, 2012, 01:29:51 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 01, 2012, 12:57:27 AM
Quote from: usafcap1 on January 01, 2012, 12:44:53 AM
im turning 20 in a few weeks so im getting ready to be a senior officer. so Im writing up my plans and goals. I only have a year left.

The term is Senior "Member", not all are officers and "officer" is not the generic.

ok. well over here in PCR the new term is Senior Officer for all seniors
Really?  I'm in PCR.....and we're senior members.

I would stop while I ahead.....you have made seveal terminology errors in just a handful of posts......avoid the dog pile...say Oh Sorry and press on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: JetDriver777 on January 01, 2012, 04:16:37 AM
ok eclipse... your right.  So make the new guy feel like an A$$ !   Good job!

You know, circumventing the profanity filter is NOT the way to make friends with the Mods.

spacecommand

Yeah...back on track..

I don't think "Homeland Security Officer" is something that a young new senior member is probably going to get much work in, that's if your wing has the position at all, generally it's not a local unit position, and as I mentioned in my other post not one of the specialty tracks you can follow.  The positions that do exist tend to be Wing level assignments with personnel who have experience in the area, though YMMV depending on the wing politics.

For a local unit position, I would research into Emergency Services Officer as something you could do in the local level, as well as Cadet Programs.

Flying Pig

CAP Homeland Security?  Hmmmm....   I think youve been entranced by a cool title.  What are these plans and goals you are looking at writing?  Im my opinion, having a 20 yr old Homeland Security Officer wouldnt be a good idea.  Your not going to be taken seriously without some type of background.   Do you have a background in HS?  Anything related to it?  BEing that your a cadet I am assuming not.  I dont know what types of missions WAWG does for Homeland Security.

What you need to do is find out who handles that in your area, hook up with them and see if they need some type of assistant.  But at your age, if WA is active with Homeland Security its going to be way over your head.  So getting in and just being allowed to watch for a few years would be the best.  And while your watching, look into degree programs in Homeland Security.  What are your plans for life?  Anything related to the military, LE or EMS?  With positions like this, you need to bring something to the table.

usafcap1

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 01, 2012, 05:10:05 PM
CAP Homeland Security?  Hmmmm....   I think youve been entranced by a cool title.  What are these plans and goals you are looking at writing?  Im my opinion, having a 20 yr old Homeland Security Officer wouldnt be a good idea.  Your not going to be taken seriously without some type of background.   Do you have a background in HS?  Anything related to it?  BEing that your a cadet I am assuming not.  I dont know what types of missions WAWG does for Homeland Security.

What you need to do is find out who handles that in your area, hook up with them and see if they need some type of assistant.  But at your age, if WA is active with Homeland Security its going to be way over your head.  So getting in and just being allowed to watch for a few years would be the best.  And while your watching, look into degree programs in Homeland Security.  What are your plans for life?  Anything related to the military, LE or EMS?  With positions like this, you need to bring something to the table.

that makes sense. you answered my question. thank you
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

wacapgh

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 01, 2012, 12:12:17 AM
Im turning 20 in a few weeks so im getting ready to be a senior officer. So Im writing up my plans and goals. I only have a year left.

Advance as far as you can in the Cadet program. The Mitchell, Earhart, and Spaatz Awards have significant advantages for cadets who continue on as senior members.

Earning the Mitchell you qualify to have a major portion of the senior Level 1 training credited and can be appointed as a Second Lieutenant without waiting the 6 months that a non-prior cadet has to wait.

With your commander's recommendtation, the Earhart can get you a Technician Level rating for Cadet Programs in the senior speciality training area. And you are eligible for appointment to First Lieutenant, after completing Level 1, 18 months sooner than a non-cadet (12 months as a Second Lieutenant + 6 months as a member without grade).

In that 18 months, you could attend Squadron Leadership School (the Ft. Vancouver squadron puts on an excellent program) and complete the online CAP Officer Basic Course. Complete your Level 2 training and your commander could recommend you for promotion to Captain.

If you have a chance for the Spaatz, GO For it! In addtion to earning something few CAP members have acheived, you can be appointed as a Captain and receive a Senior rating in Cadet Programs.

Thrashed

CAP involvement with HLS depends on location. I'm sure the DC area gets to do more than my wing. I have a badge in my wallet with HLS on it and I do nothing in CAP relating to HLS missions.

Save the triangle thingy