Mission scanner training question

Started by A3M0N, November 19, 2011, 04:12:46 AM

A3M0N

Hi, I'm doing some research on opportunities in the CAP.  I'm interested in the mission scanner position, just have a few questions.  Is all the training done at your local squadron?  How many missions (as in training/currency) are you required to fly?  Weekends?  The reason I'm asking these is I'm active duty Air Force and my job is hard to get time off on a short notice, I just want to make sure that I won't be hindering the CAP in their responsibilities by my possible inability to be available on short notice.

Thanks!

Richie Anderson, SrA, USAF -- F-15C/D/E Crew Chief

coudano

Training can be done locally, provided you have qualified mission scanners around to train you and sign you off.
If there is an airplane stationed near you, then there are (probably) mission pilots, observers, and scanners near you.
Additionally some wings (and national) hold training events just to cover tasks training toward qualification all in one sitting.

You will need to complete 2 practice or actual sorties to become fully qualified.

And you will need to complete another one sortie at least every 3 years to retain administrative currency.

Although realistically, you would want to catch more than that to retain practical currency.

You (should) not hold up an airplane's ability to sortie, if a mission comes up, if you can't go.  Infact in some squadrons, you may find yourself not at the top of the list of people who get called out on an actual, if there are more people who are qualified and willing than missions to go on...

A3M0N

Richie Anderson, SrA, USAF -- F-15C/D/E Crew Chief

spacecommand

Every squadron is different, so it varies from place to place.

Generally if there are qualified people at your unit they can help you train.  How long it takes is dependent on your schedule and the schedule of those training you.  It can be during the unit's regular meeting hours (for prep training) o any other day of the week or on weekends, mornings, afternoons etc (again depending on everyone's availability).

There are two phases: the "Familiarization and Preparatory Training" then you move onto "Advanced Training" also during this phase you do two exercise flights. These exercise flights might also take place during a larger Wing Wide Search and Rescue Exercise (SAREX) but can also be done locally, again it just depends on where you are, and your local unit/group/wing operations.

gordo07

Also for most of the "book work" the CA wing has an online version and test at the end that some squadrons may accept for some of the knowlege stuff.