USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...

Started by Eclipse, July 23, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 10, 2018, 04:09:40 PM
It might be sooner that that.  If the USAF goes to OCP this year I doubt there is enough ABUs to last CAP 10 years unless you count the crappier versions that VG sells.

I would not mind (barring cost) if CAP were to transition to OCPs in less than 10 years.  Less uniform errors; much easier to correct.  Cannot really screw up rank insignia, name tapes, CAP tape, patches.  Wash and wear uniform.  If there is a mistake, reapply in 2 seconds.  I guess Cadets will not know what to do with the extra time from not having to do OCP uniform inspections. 

Please, won't someone think of the children errr....Cadets.   :)

Overall, I liked the design of the ACUs over the BDUs, except the UCP color.  I wonder though, if CAP goes to OCPs, will Blue BDUs be transitioned to an OCP design--perhaps like Stonewall has suggested a few times before?

Anyway, all in due time I suppose.

LATORRECA

CAPLTC

CAP will be in OCP within 36 months of the USAF's formal announcement.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

abdsp51

Quote from: CAPLTC on May 13, 2018, 12:37:21 PM

Doubtful considerig how long it took them to fix 39-1 and the transtition to ABUs

CAPLTC

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 13, 2018, 01:07:20 PM
Doubtful considerig how long it took them to fix 39-1 and the transtition to ABUs

It will happen fast.
So fast, CAPTalk won't even know what happened.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

chuckmilam

Quote from: CAPLTC on May 13, 2018, 12:37:21 PM

Since I finally just got myself a complete set of ABUs including the parka, this seems about par for the course that we'd change soon after.  That's the kind of luck I have. 

Still, believe it when I see it.

abdsp51

Quote from: CAPLTC on May 13, 2018, 01:20:07 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on May 13, 2018, 01:07:20 PM

It will happen fast.
So fast, CAPTalk won't even know what happened.

Cite... otherwise hearsay and pot stirring....

Shuman 14

QuoteI've seen group/wing on the left and squadron on the right.

Isn't that how the USAF used to do the patches on the Woodland/Desert BDU breast pockets?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on May 14, 2018, 03:27:02 PM
QuoteI've seen group/wing on the left and squadron on the right.

Isn't that how the USAF used to do the patches on the Woodland/Desert BDU breast pockets?

Yes and no.  It depended on the MAJCOM and other aspects.  In my 20 years I only wore a wing patch once and that was in Korea.  My BDU patches only consisted of tapes, stripes, function badge,  SF badge and MAJCOM patch.  Even deployed never wore a wing, group or sq patch.

Eclipse

For those skeptics, an official source:

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1520066/air-force-transitions-to-a-single-combat-uniform/

Starting Oct. 1, 2018, Airmen who have serviceable OCPs may wear the uniform, and Airmen can purchase OCPs at Army and Air Force Exchange Services at the following locations: Aviano Air Base, Italy; Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina; Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina; and MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. These initial locations will allow uniform manufacturers to produce additional stocks for other locations, eventually outfitting the total force in the coming months.

The service will fully transition to OCPs by April 1, 2021.

Sooo...

By encampment season next year, finding anyone but CAP in ABUs will be difficult (though it's likely
Reservists will be the last to generally change), and as conjectured here a number of times, by the time
CAP is transitioned into ABUs, the parent service will be long out of them.

#TotalForce

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Starbird

Amazing... as soon as we phase the abus in, the Air Force phases them out.... -_- *facepalm*

As a side note, if CAP starts phasing OCPs in before 2021, we will have THREE camo fatigue uniforms worn by members, the BBDU, the polo, and the FDU and BFDU... brining our total number of working uniforms to SEVEN.  If we could only cut this to just one corporate working uniform, the FDU, one military camo uniform, and the polo?  Just a thought.

supertigerCH

almost would rather that CAP had transitioned directly from the BDU uniform...

straight into the newer OCP

oh well.  it is what it is.  in the mean time just step up & help the Air Force burn through all their surplus ABU uniforms... and make the ABU look as best we can during these years while CAP is wearing it.

for those out there getting too upset... just be glad our uniforms look decent these days... since the upgrade a few years ago to the dark blue name tapes and rank.  that change honestly makes just about anything we wear look 10X more professional. 

OCP uniforms are super cool, but you wont hear any complaints from me.

Eclipse

Quote from: Starbird on May 14, 2018, 07:21:25 PMone military camo uniform field uniform that fulfills the mission, and the polo?  Just a thought.

What's the obsession with camo?  It doesn't even serve a purpose for the USAF in quarters, let alone for
CAP field use.

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

So af.mil is saying that the Air Force will start to wear the U.S. flag on their uniforms?  That's interesting...

PHall

Quote from: Offutteer on May 14, 2018, 08:15:21 PM
So af.mil is saying that the Air Force will start to wear the U.S. flag on their uniforms?  That's interesting...

That's because they're copying what the Army does. Same deal with the nametape on the back of the patrol cap.
As per the Air Force Link web site.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

Quote from: Starbird on May 14, 2018, 07:21:25 PM
Amazing... as soon as we phase the abus in, the Air Force phases them out.... -_- *facepalm*

As a side note, if CAP starts phasing OCPs in before 2021, we will have THREE camo fatigue uniforms worn by members, the BBDU, the polo, and the FDU and BFDU... brining our total number of working uniforms to SEVEN.  If we could only cut this to just one corporate working uniform, the FDU, one military camo uniform, and the polo?  Just a thought.

Don't put the horse before the cart.  There's a good chance that the prohibition that was in place in regards to the ABU is there for OCPs. 

LATORRECA

Wait for it. Give it a week and we will see the first post about someone asking if we can wear it or when we are transitioning from ABU to OCP. Can't wait to hear about it. Universal pattern for all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk