Main Menu

Good - bad - Ugly

Started by OldGuy, April 17, 2018, 01:59:46 AM

OldGuy

Amazingly good folks in Civil Air Patrol - rejoined last year, made LV2 in 6 months thanks to inspired mentoring. ES still filled with dedicated pros.
The Good.

Astounding that the bullies and disrespectful still infest the adults playing in the cadet programs arena, as well as upper echelons.
The bad.

Seeing the next Pineda in the making. Very sad.
The UGLY.

To the good, THANK YOU!

NIN

Where are you "Seeing the next Pineda in the making"?

It was nearly 25 years ago when two guys on the old CAP-Talk mailing list  from FL Wing ("The Dougs") started to tell people outside of SER to watch out for HWSNBN.

Many, myself included at the time, wrote off what they were saying initially, but then as events unfolded, they were more or less proven to be right.

Having lived thru that era, I think the organization today is not as likely to have an individual rise to that level due to the number of checks and balances. (thanks, in no small part, to Col Ned Lee and the Governance Committee of the BoG)  Its not like you can easily load the National Board with cronies anymore.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

My experience at that level is, of course, nonexistent. I certainly hope you're right. Let me ask you this, if someone starts seeing this pattern develop, what recommendations do you make to protect the organization?

FW

Col Ninness is on point.  As one who was "intimately involved" in the politics of that era, the changes in 2013 came at the right time.  There may be problems today, however there is no chance of a repeat of the events of the period between 1997 and 2011.  There may be different issues, however I doubt we will see the abuses of power manifested during that period...

SarDragon

Before this gets any uglier, how about we just shut it off.

Those in favor?

Those opposed?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PA Guy

Shut it down. I hear axe grinding in the background

NIN

Honestly there is no axe grinding that I could see, just as vague supposition that someone like HWSNBN could rise again. 

Which is less likely to happen today than 15 years ago.

In other news,  thousands of volunteer members are putting the rubber on the road even as we speak in units across the country, getting the mission done.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: PA Guy on April 17, 2018, 11:05:40 PM
That is fine by me, no ax grinding at all, just a realistic assessment of what I am seeing and a request for guidance from older and wiser heads.

SarDragon

Quote from: Cicero on April 18, 2018, 12:27:41 AM
Quote from: PA Guy on April 17, 2018, 11:05:40 PM
That is fine by me, no ax grinding at all, just a realistic assessment of what I am seeing and a request for guidance from older and wiser heads.

You have been asked twice, once publicly and once by PM, to provide details, and you have deferred. Failing that, "guidance" probably won't be forthcoming.

On that note (an E sharp), we're done.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret