Shuttle Endeavour in Los Angeles - On The Move

Started by a2capt, October 14, 2012, 10:21:08 PM

a2capt

After a morning meeting at the Group HQ, figuring that since I was most of the way there anyway, I decided to grab a view of the Shuttle Endeavour enroute through Los Angeles...

Despite the carefully choreographed movements, all the pre-planning, and preparations, the second day was not going to be on time. You know, the old adage.. called for a shuttle, it was late.

A China Southern Airlines 747F on final approach to LAX, passing overhead.

Among the various GA Aircraft passing through, the helicopters had the advantage for sure. This Eurocopter hung around for quite a while, at one time it sported the NBC 7 LA livery, but is not registered to them anymore.

What's a big event without the Goodyear Blimp? ... On the way inbound earlier in the day I saw the blimp moored at it's Carson base, but by the time I got on scene it was orbiting the Shuttle location as it moved. It was one way to know that it was getting closer.

I didn't realize it, after parking a few blocks away I figured "The Wal*Mart parking lot would make a good place to go", but it was actually a designated viewing area, and an afternoon show was to take place while crews from Sarens International re-configured the dollies under the shuttle for the narrower width of Martin Luther King Blvd. As they say. The Show Must Go On. The Shuttle was a no show, but the show went on.  I stayed put where I was as to not lose my coveted spot. :)

Finally, some 6 hours later. Houston, we have a visual. Endeavour is in visual range.

Coming into view, the size was not much of a surprise to me, as I've seen Space Shuttle's before, up close. But clearly many were quite surprised. Definitely not your typical sight.. even in aerospace rich Southern California.

A little further, and the cheers got louder. This is at the southern approach of Crenshaw to Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Endeavour is on a restocking mission, budget cuts and all, even NASA knows a deal when they see it. Save Money. Live Better. But the parking meter fee will be a killer. It takes up several spots ... ;)

Hey, that's like, umm.. right outside! I figured I'd go do some shopping, and take care of nature's business, as I was not going to get out of there anytime soon. The multi-story Wally World locations are a trip.. the familiar floor plan is .. just not there. But .. what's more fun than a Wally World Run!

Endeavour has turned the corner onto eastbound Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., tail facing the stage area that was scheduled to be active while the Sarens crews were reconfiguring the undercarriage transport equipment.

A closer up, full view without obstructions, and the surrounding crowds.  Endeavour was at this location until just after zero hour. It had originally been scheduled to be at the California Science Center about this time.

A little closer this time.

..and that was it for the evening. I met my objective of getting some urban shuttle shots.

Spaceman3750

Very cool shots. I try not to get worked up over things out of my control, but I'm pretty upset that these marvels of engineering are going to museums while we continue on with no manned space program.

NIN

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 14, 2012, 10:33:03 PM
Very cool shots. I try not to get worked up over things out of my control, but I'm pretty upset that these marvels of engineering are going to museums while we continue on with no manned space program.

You know, people keep saying this.

We do have a manned space program, we just don't have a flying vehicle at the moment.

everytime someone says "Well, what a bummer, they killed our manned space program" I think:

"A) Someone better tell the NASA astronauts on the ISS"
and
"B) Someone should tell the astronaut office at JSC this, cuz those boys is out of a job an' don't know it!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

One of the proposed replacements for the shuttle is currently docked at the ISS. The Dragon.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on October 14, 2012, 11:43:57 PM
One of the proposed replacements for the shuttle is currently docked at the ISS. The Dragon.

Yep, thats my point.   In 1972, when we cancelled Apollo, Shuttle was YEARS away.  Didn't mean we didn't have a program in-work, or that we no longer had a manned program, it meant that we didn't have anything flying. 

Now, yeah, we flew Saturn/Apollo again, what, 5 more times?  4 times for Skylab and once for ASTP.

Following ASTP, Shuttle was in the pipeline, but did not fly until 1981.  That was, what, 6 years without assured manned access to space.

At least we seem to have some additional options on the horizon. And in less than 6 years.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Critical AOA

I wonder how much less it would have cost to build a place to house the shuttle at LAX or even Edwards AFB rather than moving it to the chosen location.  It would have definitely been less disruptive and intrusive on people's lives. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 15, 2012, 12:13:14 AM
I wonder how much less it would have cost to build a place to house the shuttle at LAX or even Edwards AFB rather than moving it to the chosen location.  It would have definitely been less disruptive and intrusive on people's lives.

But who would go to LAX or EDW just to see the shuttle?

At least at the California Science Center, its wrapped with infrastructure.

Besides, how many days of "disruption" is there, really?  Its a freakin' space shuttle, not a Yugo!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Critical AOA

Edwards has the Flight Test Museum and the shuttle would be an excellent and very proper fit especially considering Edwards' role in the shuttle program of which you might or might not be aware.  That of course is just my opinion and you might believe otherwise.

There is also a small museum at LAX already though it does not have a great deal to offer at this time.  Adding the shuttle would have been a great addition and they could have turned it into something bigger.  Considering the important roles that aerospace companies in the area LAX, El Segundo and Hawthorne areas have played, it would be a nice tip of the hat to them.

I know that whenever I fly into IAD, I always try to take a detour to the Air & Space Udvar-Hazy Center if time permits.  So, yes I do think people would go.

Are you aware of how many trees had to be cut down, power lines moved, streets closed, businesses hurt because of this?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 15, 2012, 12:37:35 AM
Edwards has the Flight Test Museum and the shuttle would be an excellent and very proper fit especially considering Edwards' role in the shuttle program of which you might or might not be aware.  That of course is just my opinion and you might believe otherwise.

There is also a small museum at LAX already though it does not have a great deal to offer at this time.  Adding the shuttle would have been a great addition and they could have turned it into something bigger.  Considering the important roles that aerospace companies in the area LAX, El Segundo and Hawthorne areas have played, it would be a nice tip of the hat to them.

OK, did either the flight test museum or the small museum at LAX submit bid packages to become a recipient of a Space Shuttle?

Its not like displaying an Apollo capsule under plexiglass or a training spacesuit.

There were *very* specific artifact protection and display requirements placed upon the entities that bid for, and would potentially receive a shuttle.  We're talking packages that were going to cost, at the very least, tens of millions of dollars in infrastructure, buildings, display construction, etc.

Not "Welp, lets wheel ol' Endeavour into the hangar here next to Bill Flabob's 1st Piper Cub..."

Not to mention that the shuttles essentially went to museums with established programs, curatorial staff, visitor programs, sufficient yearly vistorships, etc, to ensure that the artifacts would be well cared for, be seen by many, and contribute to the overall NASA mission of educating the public.

These museums had to have a plan in place for their shuttle display (not necessarily funded yet) that would ensure the continued success of the museum and the display. No sense sending a shuttle to a museum just to have the mere presence of the artifact break the place and close it within 2 years.

I know that whenever I fly into IAD, I always try to take a detour to the Air & Space Udvar-Hazy Center if time permits.  So, yes I do think people would go.

Sure. But Udvar-Hazy isn't 120 miles from downtown DC like Edwards is to LA.  You really think that Edwards just having the shuttle would "draw" people from LA that easily?

to borrow a line from a movie "You clearly underestimate the drawing power of the Garden State."

Are you aware of how many trees had to be cut down, power lines moved, streets closed, businesses hurt because of this?

Yes, they had to cut down (and will restore) some 350 trees, move power lines, remove and lay over light poles, fill streets to the level of the curbs to give the transporters room to move, etc.  And yes, a bunch of businesses took it on the chin.

I also think the overall economic impact of all those people in downtown LA for the move was probably a net positive effect on the businesses, especial food & retail.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SAR-EMT1

Personally I find it insane that one of them didn't go to Houston. . .
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

NIN

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on October 16, 2012, 12:11:46 AM

Agree. Houston got gypped.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Critical AOA

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on October 16, 2012, 12:11:46 AM

Agreed.  The top logical choices from a historical perspective would have been Cape Canaveral, Houston & Edwards due to their direct involvement in the shuttle program.  Of course the Air & Space Museum would be the best choice for a non shuttle program historical location.  New York made the least sense followed by LA.

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 15, 2012, 12:37:35 AMAre you aware of how many trees had to be cut down, power lines moved, streets closed, businesses hurt because of this?

I think its rediculous. 

They should have just cut the wings and tail off, stuck it on a flatbed and called it shipped.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

It's Los Angeles.  I'd wager the crime rate along the shuttle path went down thanks to all the crews and publicity in the area.   

Shuttles save lives!   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

AngelWings

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 16, 2012, 01:18:44 AM
It's Los Angeles.  I'd wager the crime rate along the shuttle path went down thanks to all the crews and publicity in the area.   

"Local thugs use space shuttle for record breaking drive-by shooting today."

PHall

Quote from: AngelWings on October 16, 2012, 01:30:26 AM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 16, 2012, 01:18:44 AM

"Local thugs use space shuttle for record breaking drive-by shooting today."

Actually, LAPD did not arrest anybody along the entire 12 mile, 30 hour route.
Even Gang Bangers like the shuttle!

a2capt

These guys kept moving this as they closed off driveways when the Shuttle was downwind of the crossing. I so want one of those :) The municipal sign shop must be a fun place to work. :)

Businesses in general were joining in on it.

This was just before the Tundra towing portion.

The Tundra only pulled it over I-405 just north of LAX.

They did that because during the planning and investigational phase, the CalTrans engineering data showed that the bridge was rated for 150 tons.

The shuttle is 145 tons.

The Sarens tug, and combined undercarriage equipment was a lot more than 5 tons.

So they pulled it from LAX on the normal dollies, and transfered the thing onto lighter dollies, that do not have any motors/drive on them, and used the Tundra.

Since Toyota is a longtime museum sponsor, they said "Hey, let us.. " so they bought the Tundra from a nearby dealer on a Sunday afternoon just like anyone walking in off the street. "We'd like a truck, please".

There is already a Tundra on display at the Science Center as part of an exhibit on machinery and engineering. They're going to replace that one with this one as "this is the one that towed the shuttle". Since the combined weight of the Tundra and the "dumb" undercarriage was a lot less than the moving equipment they used for the rest of the route.

So Toyota bought a movie shoot permit from L.A., and paid for that portion of the move themselves, in return for being able to shoot the footage for an upcoming ad campaign.

The rest of the move was done with the self propelled machinery with the walkers and remote controls. Since they had to do it with dual dollies as the streets had center divides in many places.

When they turend from Crenshaw onto MLK, they had to place the whole thing on barrels to reconfigure the dollies underneath it to be closer together, where as on Crenshaw they were farther apart due to the median.

... so the Shuttle was up on blocks, with the wheels missing  .. in L.A. ;-)

Not everyone cared though ..

Others ... thought it needed a little touch up..

Are you sure they have enough?

caphornbuckle

There is actually a project called Orion that's in the works that gives us the opportunity to explore deep space.  The shuttle basically became the "Fed Ex" of the space program delivering personnel and equipment to the space station.  NASA hasn't given up on manned space flight...they are moving on to bigger and better things.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/mpcv/orion_arrival.html

Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

JeffDG

Personally, I would have loved it if, instead of all the SCA flybys, if they had put a crew back in and let it loose to land by itself one last time, like they did with Enterprise back in the 70s.

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."