Surplus gov equipment / grants for same?

Started by JohhnyD, October 15, 2019, 01:24:18 PM

JohhnyD

We have a northern latitudes hangar and snow removal is an issue. Can we get surplus government equipment, and if so, what is the process?

Are there grants aimed at that kind of equipment we ought to consider?

arajca

It is theoretically possible to get surplus equipment, but you need to get your wing LG involved. They should know the process.

That being said, the surplus equipment I have seen is best suited as targets at an artillery impact range.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on October 15, 2019, 01:46:07 PM
That being said, the surplus equipment I have seen is best suited as targets at an artillery impact range.

+1 the DRMO process is complicated, requires Wing LG (or DRMO designate) to access it, and isn't likely to
include shovels or blowers.

NHQ rarely, if ever, would accept a used plow or similar vehicle.

Doubtful you'll find a grant to plow snow.  Presumably this is on a private airport without plowing?
If so, it's somewhat surprising your Wing would station a aircraft there, but if that is the case,
it might be time to start selling candy bars and ask around to local landscapers if they can help.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Could always approach a couple of snow removal businesses and see if they'd be willing to donate their services. I've seen it work a few places, and it was always good PR for the company, and for CAP.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Do a squadron fundraiser and buy a used snowblower.

etodd

Where are the Cadets?  Snow shoveling would be a perfect for PT credit. Make them earn those O'Rides! LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on October 15, 2019, 07:24:33 PM
Where are the Cadets?  Snow shoveling would be a perfect for PT credit.

This is not a thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on October 15, 2019, 07:28:51 PM

This is not a thing.

PT "credit" is a thing. You have to provide at least 1 hour of fitness per month. Cadets must also have participated in at least one fitness activity in the last 180 days.

That said, I think using the cadets as manual labor is a terrible idea. That's an absolute morale killer, and that provides no benefit to their progression as cadets are enhancement of their leadership abilities.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 15, 2019, 07:56:08 PM

This is not a thing.

PT "credit" is a thing. You have to provide at least 1 hour of fitness per month. Cadets must also have participated in at least one fitness activity in the last 180 days.

That said, I think using the cadets as manual labor is a terrible idea. That's an absolute morale killer, and that provides no benefit to their progression as cadets are enhancement of their leadership abilities.

OK, fair enough, but agreed shoveling snow is not "PT".

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

This is not a thing.

Unless the SMs are out there too and its a "Can you out-shovel the senior leadership" contest.

That sends a better message than "Here is a shovel, good luck, we're all counting on you!"

Spam

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 15, 2019, 08:05:31 PM

This is not a thing.

Unless the SMs are out there too and its a "Can you out-shovel the senior leadership" contest.

That sends a better message than "Here is a shovel, good luck, we're all counting on you!"

I wish my northern brothers well as they are writing, reviewing, and acting on the resulting mishap reports from this event!

Yuk! Global warming, bring it ON!

V/r
Spam

etodd

It amazes me that so many took my joke about Cadets shoveling snow seriously. 90% of the time that one needs to get the plane out for a Mission, Cadets are sitting in school.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2019, 03:03:56 AM
It amazes me that so many took my joke about Cadets shoveling snow seriously. 90% of the time that one needs to get the plane out for a Mission, Cadets are sitting in school.

It. Just. Wasn't. Funny.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fester

Is there a comedy school near you?  You could benefit from some lessons.  :D
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

N6RVT

Quote from: Fester on October 16, 2019, 05:00:11 AM

Is there a comedy school near you?  You could benefit from some lessons.  :D
Its snowed in.

chuckmilam

Quote from: Holding Pattern on October 15, 2019, 08:05:31 PM
CAP seniors shoveling snow in a competitive race?  Oh boy.

I grew up in snow shoveling country, so trust me when I advise having the ambulance on speed dial for the inevitable cardiac arrest incident. 

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on October 15, 2019, 03:01:20 PM
Quote from: arajca on October 15, 2019, 01:46:07 PM
+1 the DRMO process is complicated, requires Wing LG (or DRMO designate) to access it, and isn't likely to include shovels or blowers.

I actually AM a DRMO screening officer.  Only one for California at the moment.  The wing is allowed four.

Such items as snowblowers might appear in DRMO, but it would be because they have been graded as "Beyond Economical Repair".  Basically if you have someone in your squadron skilled in such things that wants to donate their own time and probably expense for parts to repair it, it might be an option.  But it is not worth having it commercially repaired or it would not be in DRMO.

Occasionally you luck out and find something functional that nobody else needed, or is obsolete but still works fine.  Its like going to a swap meet.  I would go to the El Toro DRMO with a handful of DD1348's and just shop around for anything my unit could use.  Far more often I was taking stuff in the other direction though.  And by the time the USAR gave something up, it was seriously junk.

THRAWN

Could always get yourself considered a "critical resource" by your state DoT and then they will do the snow removal.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Al Sayre

You might have your Wing LG check with the state's version of DRMO.  My Wing has had some pretty good luck obtaining surplus equipment ( furniture, printers, sat phones etc. -never tried vehicles, but they did have landscaping equipment both small and large) from the state at little or no cost in the past.  When your LG goes to the state warehouse, it would be a good idea to take someone with the appropriate knowledge of the required equipment.  You probably don't want a 18 yard dump truck with wing plows to clean up your driveway...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

TheSkyHornet

It amazes me that so many took my joke about Cadets shoveling snow seriously.

There are units that do it...

Far too many senior members think cadets are easy, mobile manpower.