What would you like to see done for Civil Air Patrol uniforms?

Started by Hawk200, October 13, 2018, 09:48:58 PM

BraveRifles19D

Quote from: PHall on December 04, 2018, 08:13:58 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 04, 2018, 07:24:33 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2018, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: MHC5096 on December 03, 2018, 05:23:03 PM
Quote from: BraveRifles19D on December 03, 2018, 04:13:27 PM
What would be nice would be to allow cadet officers to use pin-on rank on the ABUs and patrol caps.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Agreed. The old argument that cloth insignia is used instead of pin-on for safety reasons is a moot point when the majority of the cadet corps wears pin-on insignia.

There was literally discussion a few years ago about changing the orientation of the metal insignia on the
collar because the point of the larger insignia (like Chief), could puncture a jugular vein.

Change the orientation of the insignia to perpendicular to the lower edge instead of parallel (Navy style).

Why change it in the first place? Have you ever heard of a cadet actually hurting themselves with their grade insignia? I know I haven't.
If there was any kind of real hazard the Safety folks at National would have gone crazy about it years ago.
I wore pin-on rank all through my time in the Army and never once did I hurt myself. And whoever designed the cadet rank must hav deliberately placed the pins where they would have to go through the collar stiffiners on the blues!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2018, 05:45:24 PM
Quote from: MHC5096 on December 03, 2018, 05:23:03 PM
Quote from: BraveRifles19D on December 03, 2018, 04:13:27 PM
What would be nice would be to allow cadet officers to use pin-on rank on the ABUs and patrol caps.

Agreed. The old argument that cloth insignia is used instead of pin-on for safety reasons is a moot point when the majority of the cadet corps wears pin-on insignia.

There was literally discussion a few years ago about changing the orientation of the metal insignia on the
collar because the point of the larger insignia (like Chief), could puncture a jugular vein.

Where was this discussion held? Who participated? How did it come up?

I've got visions of 5-6 people sitting around, where one person brings it up. Then, after hearing a chorus of "Nah, nothing to worry about," it got dropped off and they moved on. To frost that cake, my vision has none of them discussing it because it was their assignment to do so, just some guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on December 05, 2018, 05:11:22 AMWhere was this discussion held? Who participated? How did it come up?

As I recall, there was actually a 78 on a cadet getting poked, which prompted the proposal for the last rev of 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 13, 2018, 10:18:28 PM
Elimination of all USAF style uniforms for seniors. ALL OF THEM.
Adoption of USAF uniform by cadets within two years of USAF change.

Easy.

Back in the day, I would of thought you'd be crazy to take away the USAF style for seniors, until I actually retired from the AF after 25 years while simultaneously belonging to CAP.  Now that I've seen seniors wear the AF uniform without oversight (Lt Cols, or sqdrn CCs actually enforcing weight and cleanliness of the uniforms CAP seniors wear). 

The last four years I was active in CAP, I was overweight. Rather than just ignore the regs that prohibit overweight seniors and cadets over 18 fm wearing the USAF, I decided integrity was more important and I stopped wearing the Air Force uniform.  Personally and surprisingly, I felt a freedom I never had before.  I enjoyed wearing the alternate uniform.  Still wore the alt uniform pressed, and shoes shinned, but I didn't have to wear all the 'bling' which I have several.

Your comments about cadets, I believe letting cadets wear blues is appropriate, but perhaps wearing the security guard dark blue BDUs would be a great uniform for everyone.  Just my thoughst.
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Lakeshore-CAP-Ret on December 11, 2018, 02:35:40 AM
Quote from: Gunsotsu on October 13, 2018, 10:18:28 PM
Elimination of all USAF style uniforms for seniors. ALL OF THEM.
Adoption of USAF uniform by cadets within two years of USAF change.

Easy.

Back in the day, I would of thought you'd be crazy to take away the USAF style for seniors, until I actually retired from the AF after 25 years while simultaneously belonging to CAP.  Now that I've seen seniors wear the AF uniform without oversight (Lt Cols, or sqdrn CCs actually enforcing weight and cleanliness of the uniforms CAP seniors wear). 

The last four years I was active in CAP, I was overweight. Rather than just ignore the regs that prohibit overweight seniors and cadets over 18 fm wearing the USAF, I decided integrity was more important and I stopped wearing the Air Force uniform.  Personally and surprisingly, I felt a freedom I never had before.  I enjoyed wearing the alternate uniform.  Still wore the alt uniform pressed, and shoes shinned, but I didn't have to wear all the 'bling' which I have several.

Your comments about cadets, I believe letting cadets wear blues is appropriate, but perhaps wearing the security guard dark blue BDUs would be a great uniform for everyone.  Just my thoughst.

I don't get why Blues would be considered appropriate but not ABUs, or vice versa. I see, from time to time, comments like "Cadets should be permitted to wear the USAF-style uniform but not seniors." What's the difference?

Clearly, the issue isn't who's wearing what; it's how it's being worn.

The 19-year-old cadet who is 5'6 and weights 220 shouldn't be in the uniform; it's that simple. That cadet should be pulled aside and, in a polite and professional manner, be explained why they are not allowed to wear the uniform.

I know of a cadet who was an obese 16-year-old that was allowed to promote despite never being able to pass PT. The unit passed him because he was "trying." I don't recall "trying" in the testing standards for a satisfactory pass. He's over 18 now; still wears the USAF uniform.

So the problem isn't what they're allowed to wear or not allowed to wear. The problem is definitely the fact that nobody is enforcing existing standards. Rather than removing the standards or making new ones, how about we enforce what's on the table today? Because whatever we change the standards to be, someone is going to screw it up---they don't care now; they won't care tomorrow.

Jester

Another thread just reminded me:

-  Get rid of the old service uniform items (coat, lighter colored trousers and flight cap).  It's been 19 years since the old coat was completely phased out in the AF.  Streamline the reg a bit and get rid of the 4-pocket configuration.  If we ever get lucky enough for a similar uniform to come back, dust off the old standard and paste them into the reg (for another 20 years or so until we finally decide to get rid of the current coat).

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Jester on December 12, 2018, 04:48:48 PM

-  Get rid of the old service uniform items (coat, lighter colored trousers and flight cap).  It's been 19 years since the old coat was completely phased out in the AF.  Streamline the reg a bit and get rid of the 4-pocket configuration.  If we ever get lucky enough for a similar uniform to come back, dust off the old standard and paste them into the reg (for another 20 years or so until we finally decide to get rid of the current coat).

Now this will just stir up the people that want the Air Force (and CAP) to ditch the new "business suit" for the old-style coat.

arajca

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 12, 2018, 08:39:36 PM
Quote from: Jester on December 12, 2018, 04:48:48 PM

Now this will just stir up the people that want the Air Force (and CAP) to ditch the new "business suit" for the old-style coat.
Even if the AF adopts a new 4 pocket service coat, it won't match the old one in either color or material. Also, given that almost no one wears the old service coat properly IAW CAPM 39-1, it should go away.

bd5av8r

Since Congress has mandated a common uniform: OCP.
Dress uniform: the tony Pineda uniform.

There. That should stir the pot a bit lol

Oh: Beret and same usaf boots and sage brown as the AF on the ocp :D lol
Greetings from SC!

SemperVigHooah

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2018, 07:15:02 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on October 17, 2018, 05:24:44 AM
The Leadership Award will be eliminated as it is redundant to the Technician Badges also awarded. I guess this award made sense when not every Technician Rating had a corresponding Badge but as they all do now it's just extra bling.

Not all Specialty tracks have badges.

Quote from: shuman14 on October 17, 2018, 05:24:44 AM
By adopting this PDEA system you will eliminate six ribbons/medals and would shorten the maximum ribbon rack number by two rows. Which should look less "busy" on the uniform.
I have been the Recruiting NCO for months now, and have NEVER found a badge for my specialty.

Who's uniform?  Not all members earn anything other then the PD awards over the course of their CAP careers.