Main Menu

CAP wants more of my money

Started by Patterson, March 20, 2014, 07:33:03 PM

Patterson

Today I received a request from the Director of Development Office at CAP NHQ asking me for a donation to the Mary Feik Flight Cadet Flight Scholarship program.  The goal of this new fundraising effort is to raise $50,000 to "provide a meaningful financial scholarship to deserving cadets across the nation".

The letter also states "we are sensitive to the needs of the cadets in our communities and try to reflect this in developing programs that allow our cadets to realize their dreams.  By teaming up with the local FBO's, flight training is within reach".

When I was a Cadet and selected to receive flight training through CAP, I was expected to fund it myself.  My family could not spare money to pay for things like flight training.  When approaching the Squadron, Group and Wing leadership, I was told in very plain terms "sorry kid, you need to get out there and find the cash". I did just that, seeking financial support from the local VFW and American Legion.

The real problem I have with this endeavor by NHQ is the knowledge that in my Wing (PAWG), nearly half of the Wings annual budget goes to pay for Cadet Encampment costs.  The Wing Leadership continues to host one of the nations most expensive cadet Encampments, that frankly provides nothing more than a place for Cadets to march around at for a week.  Where there are Air Force installations, the Wing continues to use facilities that are owned by the Army National Guard, and who charge such terribly high rates for everything.

I would rather a scholarship be setup nationally that pays for Cadets to attend the required Encampment instead of extracurricular activities such as flight training!

So CAP NHQ, I will not give you more of my money so a Cadet not associated with my Squadron can learn to fly for free.  Sorry!

Private Investigator

JeffDG

I'd rather donate directly to my Wing or Group.  The echelons above reality, not so much.

arajca

Got the same letter today. Put in the recycling bin after reading the first line.

If National has REALLY teamed up with FBO's, where is the list of those who will provide discounted flight training to our cadets?

AirAux

Say hello to diversity and inclusion...

a2capt

Seems like I got that letter a few months ago..

I wonder who's paying for the letters.

HGjunkie

CAP already gives out (rather difficult to earn) flight scholarships for those cadets who have chosen to commit to the program (by reaching phase 3). I don't see a real reason to change that, they receive Daedalian and other scholarships to give out as well.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Whatever happened to the CAP Foundation?  I understand it had about $200,000 in their coffers. Mary Feik, btw, was a major contributor.  I was hoping the foundation would be helping CAP by now.

flyboy53

It's pretty sad that CAP has become "give me your money."

Here's a hint for NHQ -- you already get enough of my time and money -- don't bug me for more.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on March 20, 2014, 07:43:59 PM
I'd rather donate directly to my Wing or Group.  The echelons above reality, not so much.

Nicely said.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

disamuel

Why would we want to sponsor cadets to fly on FBO owned aircraft, when our own fleet is so much in need of additional flying hours?

SarDragon

Quote from: disamuel on March 21, 2014, 04:30:31 AM
Why would we want to sponsor cadets to fly on FBO owned aircraft, when our own fleet is so much in need of additional flying hours?

Our fleet comprises aircraft models not the most suitable for flight instruction, specifically the 182s and 206s. They are more complex, and more expensive to operate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Archer

Quote from: Patterson on March 20, 2014, 07:33:03 PM
[...]Encampments, that frankly provides nothing more than a place for Cadets to march around at for a week.[...]

Why do you feel that way?

SarDragon

Quote from: Archer on March 21, 2014, 07:23:53 AM
Quote from: Patterson on March 20, 2014, 07:33:03 PM
[...]Encampments, that frankly provides nothing more than a place for Cadets to march around at for a week.[...]

Why do you feel that way?

That may be his perception of PAWG encampments. I'm glad to say that the three encampments I attended were not like that. It's a YMMV thing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

These are the same people who lost $3-6,000,000 on sponsoring the racecar
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Private Investigator

HWSNBN said a Commander needs to spend 20% of their time fundraising.  ::)

MSG Mac

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 21, 2014, 05:29:27 PM
HWSNBN said a Commander needs to spend 20% of their time fundraising.  ::)
External fund raising, not internal
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NC Hokie

I already make a yearly contribution to CAP, as do all of the members of my squadron.  We see little return on that investment locally, and have to resort to additional dues, local fundraising, and unreimbursed out-of-pocket expenses for everything that we do.

Now I get asked for more money to support optional activities for cadets that I may never meet, while my own cadets cannot even get the uniforms that they were promised when they submitted their applications (three FCU orders submitted in October with no idea when - or if - they'll ever arrive).

Sorry, but my CAP money will be staying at home.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy