Shirt Garters - Do you wear 'em?

Started by Pylon, July 01, 2005, 02:47:04 AM

Do you wear shirt garters with your dress uniform. If so, how often?

Yeah, I wear 'em faithfully.
I only wear 'em for special occassions.
Nah. I go without and feel just fine.
I'm so different, I don't fit into these choices. See my lengthy explanation below.

Greg

It's actually not that bad, your legs just ache a lot.  I put 21 on my uniform once, three broke by the time i had my shoes and pants on, so i wore 18 for about six hours or so.  I had to get somebody else to tie my shoes, but other than that it wasn't incredibly bad.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Matt

I think I'll stick with starch... it's so much easier, and still smells nice when finished...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Schmidty06

ladyreferee

Ok, this may be a really stupid question here, but here goes..... how the heck do you wear those straight ones?  I asked the guys at the unit - of course we are all new so we have no clue.   ???  Wouldn't it be a bit uncomfortable for you guys - like ummm. worse than a g string  - do you wrap them around your legs or something?  They don't stretch down to your socks, do they?  If it is embarrassing, just send a private email to this Mom of 2 cadets.... ::)
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

JCSCADET

ok there are two types of shirt garters! the straight one then there are the Y ones, i have both but perfer the Y ones better.  the way that you wear them is first you have to iron your shirt then lay it out on some thing and hook the clips on to the shirt then to your socks, and keep doing these until you use all the shirt garters that you have( it helps to space them out alittle) but then when you are ready to put your uniform on just put your socks on then pull your shirt on then stand up straight and then you can put your pants on , then your shoes and your done. it really its not that hard and every now and then you can fill it rubbing on your legs.

MIKE

Quote from: ladyreferee on September 10, 2005, 04:05:30 PM
Ok, this may be a really stupid question here, but here goes..... how the heck do you wear those straight ones?  I asked the guys at the unit - of course we are all new so we have no clue.   ???  Wouldn't it be a bit uncomfortable for you guys - like ummm. worse than a g string  - do you wrap them around your legs or something?  They don't stretch down to your socks, do they?  If it is embarrassing, just send a private email to this Mom of 2 cadets.... ::)

There are a few different ways to wear the straight ones that I have heard.  One method does involve rapping them around each leg and attaching them to the shirt tails and socks... Some people wear more than one set of four, but IMO it's overkill.  I would wear them more to the outside of each leg much like you would for the Y-type... This avoids possible injury should one or more become disconnected from ones socks... I'd also avoid rapping them around the legs for the same reason, but I also would think it would be uncomfortable for someone with leg hair.

The Y-type are really pretty straight forward, and I have had better luck with them... The straight ones I have don't tend to fit as easily between the thicker shirt material and socks as they seem to be less pliable than the Y-type I have.
Mike Johnston

JCSCADET

Rule of thumb!!! to aviod bodily injury and possibly even death J/k!!! never put shirt garters on the inside of your legs

Cam89

I don't see how you could put them on the inside of your leg .
Carrisa Marinshaw
    C/Amn

dagrimes65

Way back, when I was a cadet I wore the straight garters, after I became a cop I wore the "Hidden Tailor" (the rubber belt thing you were talking about), it works great, it is fully adjustable and has rubber nubs on the outside that grips the trouser band to keep it from riding down.

Dave Grimes
Former C/CMSgt (1st Shirt), CAP
Lafayette Cadet Squadron (defunct)
Missouri Wing

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]

MIKE

Quote from: Cam89 on September 11, 2005, 10:53:59 PM
I don't see how you could put them on the inside of your leg .

Some people like the straight ones because they can place them closer to the gig line of the shirt along the front and back of each leg...  If you are a guy and you wear 'em like this and one happens to come undone... It is going to hurt, and everyone is going to notice you wince in pain while you try to maintain your bearing.  I do know some females who don't like it when it happens to them either.
Mike Johnston

Matt

I'm fairly sure that the majority of bearing at that time would be: the fetal position and crying.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

JCSCADET

does anyone know were i could get one of those "Hidden Tailor" things?

MIKE

Quote from: JCSCADET on September 20, 2005, 09:18:58 PM
does anyone know were i could get one of those "Hidden Tailor" things?

www.paradestore.com has them.
Mike Johnston

Yoda

I wear four straight shirt garter.  Two on the very front of the uniform, and two in the back.  It's an important to note that garters accent the uniforms ironing.  They are by no means substitute for good ironing.  I've found that garters have the best look in the 4-6 range.  Any more, and you're not really getting much of a better looking shirt, but it is restricting your movement more.

footballrun21

They are a pain to put on though and I dont like them because when you sit, they can be seen down your leg.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

Dan

I wear the Y-type, and have never found them to be uncomfortable or visible.
Dan Bilitz, Capt, CAP
Aerospace Education Officer
WI-057 Col. R.C. Jaye Mem. Comp. Sqdn.

footballrun21

Well, how do you wear them?  What I mean is where do you fasten them (what parts of socks/shirt)?
New Jersey Wing

Dan

I usually lay my blue shirt out on the bed and attach one part of the upper Y to the lower edge of the front of the shirt.  I fasten the second part of the upper Y to the lower edge of the back of the shirt. I try to keep these two the same distance from the shirt's side seam.

I repeat this process for the other side of the shirt.

I wear the knee high black socks. So, after I put my shirt on and button it, I fasten the longer, hanging end of the shirt garter to the outside of the top edge of each sock. 

After I'm all hooked up, I put on my pants and shoes, and I'm ready to go.

The first time I wore them, I was conscious of their presence.  Now, I don't even notice them. 

Hope this helps.
Dan Bilitz, Capt, CAP
Aerospace Education Officer
WI-057 Col. R.C. Jaye Mem. Comp. Sqdn.

footballrun21

I don't have ones that clip to my socks.  They have a loop at the bottom that you slide your foot through.  I think it's pretty stupid this way.
New Jersey Wing

Yoda

Quote from: footballrun21 on October 15, 2005, 01:48:57 PM
I don't have ones that clip to my socks.  They have a loop at the bottom that you slide your foot through.  I think it's pretty stupid this way.
Why's that?  They're a bit easier to work with, I would think.