Sunglasses as contraband

Started by Cadetter, May 15, 2016, 08:19:11 PM

Cadetter

For summer encampments, is it advisable for sunglasses to be contraband?

edited to delete identifying information
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Eclipse

Cadets show up with $200 Oakelys lose them and mom wants the encampment to pay.

If they aren't on the list, it's been considered. If there is a medical issue, it can be addressed as an exception.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cadetter

Hmm, but what about protection from sunlight?

Most cadets bring very, very cheap sunglasses.
Earhart Award, 2018

PA Guy

The exposure to sunlight at encampment is not severe enough to cause a problem with vision. Your hat has a visor that will protect the eyes that along with the time you spend  indoors in classes, barracks etc. mitigates any risk.

JeffDG

Quote from: Cadetter on May 15, 2016, 08:34:36 PM
It's called a hat.

NIN

Cheap sunglasses are great (the $4 gas station ones, especially if they look the Sheriff Buford T. Justice Ray-Bans, are even cooler). Just not in formation without a documented medical need (had one of those once: a young man with albinism.  He literally had these Wiley-X looking bad boys on whenever he was outside, complete with a doctor's note).

Like jewelry or iPods, leave the expensive bling-bling at home.

You certainly do need them in some instances.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Young adults these days may not be aware the visor is to protect the vision since they wear the hat backwards...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Cadetter

Quote from: JeffDG on May 15, 2016, 09:18:19 PM
Quote from: Cadetter on May 15, 2016, 08:34:36 PM
It's called a hat.

Ha, true...

But seriously. The light reflecting from the ground, buildings, etc. is part of what I am talking about.

Quote from: PA Guy on May 15, 2016, 09:13:01 PM
The exposure to sunlight at encampment is not severe enough to cause a problem with vision. Your hat has a visor that will protect the eyes that along with the time you spend  indoors in classes, barracks etc. mitigates any risk.

Some states have brighter summers than others. Also, spending several hours outside can indeed risk highly unnecessary sun exposure that can (and often does) cause cancer.

Quote from: NIN on May 15, 2016, 09:26:19 PM
Cheap sunglasses are great (the $4 gas station ones, especially if they look the Sheriff Buford T. Justice Ray-Bans, are even cooler). Just not in formation without a documented medical need (had one of those once: a young man with albinism.  He literally had these Wiley-X looking bad boys on whenever he was outside, complete with a doctor's note).

Like jewelry or iPods, leave the expensive bling-bling at home.

You certainly do need them in some instances.

Cadet students spend most their time outside in a flight. Do all of them need doctors' notes to have the right of protecting themselves from accumulating sun exposure that can lead to cancer?
Earhart Award, 2018

abdsp51

Sunglasses are not even authorized in a formation.  Was a TO at AZ Wg's encampment in 2014 and no cadets had sunglasses.  If it's not on the list don't bring it. 

If there is a legit health issue parents need to address it through the CoC. 

Cadetter

Forgot about that... silly me.
Earhart Award, 2018

SarDragon

Now you're really stretching. Sunglasses do NOT, for the most part, protect you from skin cancer, the predominate UV-caused form of cancer. If the encampment head shed says no sunglasses, then no sunglasses.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Are you asking as a member of the Encampment Cadre working on the packing list?   Or are you just looking for justification for your personal opinion that sunglasses should be allowed?

Bottom line.....bring everything on the packing list......and nothing else.

As for the pro-con debate of allowing sunglasses on the list.

The slight protection that sunglasses afford from the hazards of UV radiation are greatly outweighed by the hassles of finding Little Jimmy's $300 Oaklies or having to tell some cadet (for the 15th time) to take their sunglasses off in formation/off their head/off their top button.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cadetter

I'm merely cadet cadre, sir, (2nd time staffing), so I haven't any authority with the packing list. It is my personal opinion that sunglasses should be allowed, yes.

There are plenty of outside activities during encampment that are not conducted in formation (the majority, lately).

FWIW, I have medical reasons for sunglasses. IMO cadets should not be required to have notes for this though... not that I can change it (until, or unless, I end up encampment commander 20 years down the road :P)

Nonetheless, the caps are undoubtedly useful :)

edited again - where was my mind when typing
Earhart Award, 2018

abdsp51

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 02:23:12 AM
I'm merely cadet cadre, sir, (2nd time staffing), so I haven't any authority with the packing list. It is my personal opinion that sunglasses should be allowed, yes.

There are plenty of outside activities during encampment that are not conducted in formation (the majority, lately).

FWIW, I have medical reasons for sunglasses (shall get a doctor's note shortly - in short, genetic tendencies to fight against). IMO cadets should not be required to have notes for this though... not that I can change it (until, or unless, I end up encampment commander 20 years down the road :P)

Nonetheless, the caps are undoubtedly useful :)

Even if you became encampment commander 20 years down the road the uniform reg and AFI says different.  If there is a legit reason to have them and wear them then a Dr's note should not be an issue.  If there isn't a legit reason then no they are not allowed and should not be allowed. 

Luis R. Ramos

After 20 years, it may be possible the regs may have changed and sunglasses can be worn in formation...

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 16, 2016, 02:49:33 AM
After 20 years, it may be possible the regs may have changed and sunglasses can be worn in formation...

I seriously doubt that.

Cadetter

... which is true. But as mentioned in my last post, I was referring to non-formation activities ... hence, not applicable (unless there's some reg I'm missing forbidding sunglasses under ALL outdoor circumstances... even in unassigned PT pseudo-uniforms...) :D
Earhart Award, 2018

abdsp51

Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 03:08:03 AM
... which is true. But as mentioned in my last post, I was referring to non-formation activities ... hence, not applicable (unless there's some reg I'm missing forbidding sunglasses under ALL outdoor circumstances... even in unassigned PT pseudo-uniforms...) :D

Again if it's not on the list don't bring it.  You as a second time staff member should know that since that packing list also applies to staff in most wings.

Cadetter

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2016, 03:13:44 AM
Quote from: Cadetter on May 16, 2016, 03:08:03 AM

Again if it's not on the list don't bring it.  You as a second time staff member should know that since that packing list also applies to staff in most wings.

Yes sir, I know it, follow it, and enforce it, and that doesn't preclude my opinion on what should change in the future  :angel:
And the quoted 'not applicable' referred to what, hypothetically, I might do if I ever am appointed an encampment commander (once I switch to the dark side)
Earhart Award, 2018

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2016, 02:53:12 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 16, 2016, 02:49:33 AM

I seriously doubt that.

Agreed. Twenty years ago, we had essentially the same policy, and twenty years before that, and even another ten before that. It looks like no one has ever come up with a good enough reason to change the policy.

In non-formation activities, they are more of a distraction than an asset. BTDT. No shirt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret