The Latest News From 1943

Started by Smithsonia, August 16, 2011, 02:48:05 PM

Smithsonia

Mark Hess of TeamCap scores another remarkable research coup. We have long known that most of the CAP histories of WW2 have not been well done. Most histories of the time have no footnotes, sound like thin and inauthentic publicity, or aren't well researched. THAT HAS CHANGED.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/62406719/WWII-Civil-Air-Patrol-History

This is the definitive actual history of CAP circa May-1943. It was secret until the 50s. Where it has been hiding goodness knows. Give it time to load. The scan isn't perfect as the old typewriter ink fades. Struggle through it. Make the effort. For those of you who thought CAP was a song and dance committee for the Army - See the struggles, hear the true quotes, know the first hand history, make the effort, quit living in present and live in the past. AND notice how the present and past are the same. Same troubles as now, same debates, same money woes, same us versus them, same, same, same. This is about the best record of CAP in WW2 I've seen. It starts with Civil Defense circa Spring '41 and moves forward in time through Spring '43.

Keep this one forever and never forget. As Maj. Gen. John Curry used to say; "Know your history and do your duty."
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

That?  Its been online since at least 2008 (when I downloaded it). 
On an AF site: http://www.afhra.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-090602-045.pdf
Nice for it to be more widely available though. 

Smithsonia

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
River;
I've been all over the Air Force Historical Research site for years and never seen this remarkable document. It must be rather hidden or nontransparent from the front door and through the catalogue. Wherever Mark found it. I am appreciative of his digging it up. It certainly clears up a lot of questions I've had for years. At least in the big picture sense - it's pretty definitive about CAPs origins and early history.

By the way you and I have had many online conversations about this topic and I don't believe I've seen you reference it before. Next time
let us more myopic history buffs in on the secrets. Meaning if I haven't read it before - its news to me.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RiverAux

Frankly, I can't recall a situation here where I've needed to cite it. 

IIRC, I saw a reference to this document in some history or another and got to it through googling the title.