How to encourage/require cadet executive staff to attend Wing activities

Started by xray328, August 10, 2015, 05:18:43 PM

xray328

Hey guys.  Do you think that that your cadet executive staff (top 3) should be required to attend both spring/summer encamapments and the wings low level cadet focused activities (maybe throw in a few fundraisers)?  If so, how do you require that they do that other then telling them they need to be there?  What if they can't or won't go?

I feel like their attendance is really important in encouraging new cadets to get involved as well.   We have around 10 cadets that attend meetings, Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BFreemanMA

I agree in that cadet attendance at events is good for encouraging new cadets. It also sets an expectation and showcases leading by example. We've found that our cadets and SMs stay on-board the longest when they're involved with activities outside our normal meeting night (real-life allowing)

For our squadron, we have events (nearly) every other week, so the expectation is that our SMs and cadets step up to assist when able. We have two or so "major" events (air show and Wreaths) where we need all-hands-on-deck and we expect everyone to be there unless they have a valid reason (work, sick, etc). No-call/no-shows or other members not pulling their weight will be noted in a promotion board. I would view Wing events as similar to squadron events in that Wing needs people to show up and help. CAP is a volunteer organization and we need volunteers to do our jobs!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

xray328

So if a cadet won't go we hold promotion? Seems like there's always an excuse. Does that fall into "Participate Actively"?

AlphaSigOU

Baseball bat, dimension lumber, golf club... :D

Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing a cadet professional development program incorporated for Phase III and Phase IV.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 10, 2015, 05:18:43 PM
Hey guys.  Do you think that that your cadet executive staff (top 3) should be required to attend both spring/summer encamapments and the wings low level cadet focused activities (maybe throw in a few fundraisers)?  If so, how do you require that they do that other then telling them they need to be there?  What if they can't or won't go?

I feel like their attendance is really important in encouraging new cadets to get involved as well.   We have around 10 cadets that attend meetings, Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Unless you plan to pay their way, you can not "require" them to attend encampment at all, never mind both. 

xray328

If that's what it takes I would. Hoping we can use squadron funds though through fundraising efforts to get any cadet to go that truly can't afford it versus using that as an excuse.  I'm trying to remove the excuses.

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 10, 2015, 06:31:02 PM
If that's what it takes I would. Hoping we can use squadron funds though through fundraising efforts to get any cadet to go that truly can't afford it versus using that as an excuse.  I'm trying to remove the excuses.

In my mind you still can't "require it" especially for promotion.  Though promotions are not automatic, you cannot add requirements that are not in the regulations, if the cadet is not mature enough, or not able to handle additional responsibility, retain them in grade.  If they can't attend a week long (or two weekend) activity multiple times, as the cadets hit high school, many will have summer jobs, wish to go to NCSAs, or pursue academic activities.  Promotions should be based on the regulatory requirements and maturity of the cadets

5-2. Cadet Promotions

d. Promotion Boards. Although not required, squadrons may hold promotion boards (sometimes called boards of review), to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept the increased responsibilities that come with their promotions. If used, promotion boards must meet the following criteria:
(1) A completed CAPF 50 must serve as the promotion board's basis for discussion.
(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
(3) Commanders must apply local promotion board policies consistently, with all cadets being subject to the same process.
e. Retaining a Cadet in Grade. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. Using the CAPF 50, Cadet Leadership Feedback, the commander (or deputy commander) will offer constructive feedback to help the cadet develop his/her leadership skills. The commander must also schedule a follow-up review to be held within 60 days.

xray328

Fair enough. Any suggestions then?

I really want them to "want to go" versus "go or else". I want the executive staff to understand the importance their attendance plays.

NC Hokie

Quote from: xray328 on August 10, 2015, 07:01:43 PM

Why aren't your cadets participating in wing activities?  You can't do much about jobs, sports, and family commitments, but rides and expenses can be overcome.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Alaric on August 10, 2015, 06:26:35 PM
Unless you plan to pay their way, you can not "require" them to attend encampment at all, never mind both.

While I would like to see a much greater cadet participation at some events, especially as they get higher up and you start to see a lot of cadets slump off because they get comfortable with where they're at, I agree with the fact that you cannot force them to attend something if you're going to make them pay for it out of their own pocket.

We've already asked them to pay the membership fee to be in the program, the cost of uniforms if they couldn't get any supplied by their squadron, and we would begin the discussion if we mandated them to start paying for more activities that we would tell them they must attend.

It could be factored in that they can't promote past a certain level without attending ### courses or encampments, but we need to be very careful if we're going to make them pay their way to advance in CAP.

xray328

I need to dig a little deeper. Just looking for advice before I do. I'm guessing it's what you mentioned though.

It's a tough thing. I don't want anyone to pay to promote. But we need them at these things to encourage younger cadets to attend. I don't want to focus on requiring encampments, while seeing them there would be nice, I'm more talking about local cheap fun things we do specifically to improve morale and cadet retention.

Alaric

I really want them to "want to go" versus "go or else". I want the executive staff to understand the importance their attendance plays.

If they want to go, they will.  If they don't they won't.  I for one, am not a huge fan of cadets attending multiple encampments, unless they are staff, and even then one time per position.  This way this allows new cadets to have leadership opportunities.

xray328

How about just supporting local activities? Fundraisers, recruiting days at the local air show? What do you do when they keep saying they can't make it?

THRAWN

Quote from: xray328 on August 10, 2015, 07:31:37 PM
How about just supporting local activities? Fundraisers, recruiting days at the local air show? What do you do when they keep saying they can't make it?

Say "okey dokey" and ask them the next time around. You're looking at kids who have already given beaucoup time to the program, as well as getting involved in school stuff, jobs, dating, a car, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and what ever other civic group they're involved in. Can you compel participation? Nope. Can you hold up promotions? Doubtful. Just remember, they are as much of a volunteer as you are. Most of the Cadets in the class that you're asking about are pretty high speed, and spread really thin. Unless Professor McGonigle gave them a time turner recently, there are only 24 hours in a day....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MSG Mac

As noted you cannot "require attendance at Wing events, encampments, and other activities. But you can put participation in these events as part of their job description.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

arajca

Salesmanship. Find an appropriate angle and sell the activity. One of my cadets 'discovered' there's a whole lot more leadership challenge and learning during an encampment than he thought. He is pushing that angle to other cadets and is applying for other encampments to gain that kind of experience. It's a different kind of leadership than you get in sports or other school activities.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: xray328 on August 10, 2015, 07:15:25 PM
I need to dig a little deeper. Just looking for advice before I do. I'm guessing it's what you mentioned though.

I'm more talking about local cheap fun things we do specifically to improve morale and cadet retention.

But if they are executive staff, they better show up week after week. Otherwise they could not be depended on. Serving on cadet executive staff is the retention. They have a reason to be there. If that's a problem, no activity can fix that.

As for the current question, I highly recommend the executive staff at my squadron to participate in Wing, Region, and National level activities. However, I do not mandate it nor do I put it in their job description, because they do have lives outside of CAP. I have only attended the MER-RCLS, 1 year of NHGA, and basic encampment; all of which I found beneficial. Through my time as a cadet, I've seen cadets that have benefited greatly from RCLS/COS type activities, and those that haven't. From a cadet standpoint, mandating that cadet executive staff attend such activities isn't a good idea. As THRAWN stated, cadets put in beaucoup time into CAP. If they can attend, fine. If not, fine. I wouldn't hold back a cadet from serving as cadet executive staff just because he/she didn't attend RCLS/COS/etc... My cadet staff is very dedicated, and although I'm sure that attending more activities would prove beneficial to them, I see no reason to question their time commitment to CAP, or their fitness to serve on staff. They do everything in their control to serve the squadron, and I am very proud of them.

--C/Maj Kiss
Cadet Commander, Hagerstown Composite Squadron

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 10, 2015, 07:31:37 PM

Maybe they can't make it many cadets are working and involved in school activities, carving out the one night a week can be an effort for them

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Alaric on August 10, 2015, 07:25:05 PM

If they want to go, they will.  If they don't they won't.  I for one, am not a huge fan of cadets attending multiple encampments, unless they are staff, and even then one time per position.  This way this allows new cadets to have leadership opportunities.

Agreed.

Capt Thompson

Aside from meeting nights, Cadet staff should be spending time outside of CAP working on CAP business, i.e. schedules, prepping classes, recruiting etc. When I was a Cadet Commander I spent more hours at home working on CAP business than I spent at meetings. Add that to school activities, ROTC, sports etc, I was only able to make 1 Encampment and didn't make it to many Wing activities.

Aside from bringing participation up at promotion boards, there isn't anything you can do to mandate it. We don't put Cadets on staff in the Squadron to fill spots at Wing activities, if they are actively participating at the Squadron level weekly, that is all that is expected of them. I agree it would be great if they would support these activities, but we can't say that our fundraiser this weekend is more important than the basketball tournament or band camp or whatever that they've already committed to.

If you didn't value them as an asset to your Squadron, they wouldn't be in the positions they are. If they bring value to your weekly meeting, try to get them to go to the other stuff and if they make it, good on them. If not, remember they are just volunteers, they agreed to give you a few hours a week, and should be appreciated for doing so, not beaten down for not giving more.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)