Cadets visiting pediatric ward

Started by Walkman, March 24, 2010, 09:05:43 PM

Walkman

I was in the ER the other night and saw a few younger kids there with the usual "owies" you take a kid to the ER for late @ night. Anyway, that got me to thinking. Has anyone ever organized a community service activity for cadets to visit a pediatric ward of a hospital to play games and what-not with the kids staying there? I see how younger kids react to our cadets in uniform and thought it might be a cool way to brighten their day.

Thoughts?

Fuzzy

C/Capt Semko

lordmonar

The only problem with "organising" a community service project of any kind is that it does not count toward the Community Service Ribbon.

I don't agree with this rule...but that is the way the reg is currently interpreted.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PA Guy

A lot of questions.  What age group of cadets are you talking about?  If you mean the avg. 12-13 y/o probably not.  What would the acuity of the patients be?  How does the hosp. feel about it?  Would they insist on any type of screening and tests such as a TB skin test?  What impact would seeing seriously ill kids have on the cadets?  There would be confidentiality issues.

Have you thought about participating in some sort of event at your local VA facility?  I think there would be fewer problems.

Walkman

Quote from: PA Guy on March 25, 2010, 02:05:20 AM
A lot of questions.  What age group of cadets are you talking about?  If you mean the avg. 12-13 y/o probably not.  What would the acuity of the patients be?  How does the hosp. feel about it?  Would they insist on any type of screening and tests such as a TB skin test?  What impact would seeing seriously ill kids have on the cadets?  There would be confidentiality issues.

Have you thought about participating in some sort of event at your local VA facility?  I think there would be fewer problems.

Very good points to think about. This was just a moment's idea, so I haven't really put any details into it.

Daniel

What kinda of pediatric ward? Adolescent or Toddler/kid?

Hospitals generally won't let anyone visit anyone in the PED wards unless the parents give the thumbs up given your an outside entity, talk to the hospital. Worst that could happen is they say no, given my time on the wards those kids don't get enough attention. Some even are pretty much abandoned.  Little boys would probably eat the army man thing up :)
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Spaceman3750

Quote from: PA Guy on March 25, 2010, 02:05:20 AM
Would they insist on any type of screening and tests such as a TB skin test?

If do it with HS freshmen (if you're blessed with so many cadets that you can pick and choose), they likely (if Michigan is anything like Illinois) had a physical to include a TB test/etc within the last year (as a requirement to begin high school).

I like the VA facility idea too though. Plus there's fewer issues such as the ones listed by PA Guy.

lordmonar

On the subject of visitations....there is always Retirement/Nursing homes.  BWIWAC my AFJROTC unit would visit a local nursing home 4-5 times a year....just to spend 3-4 hours talking to the residents.

All in all I think it is a great idea.  Check with the hospital find out if it is okay, what sort of restrictions they may have (age, health, vaccinations, etc), find out how many people they can accommodate at one time......they may not want 30 cadets and 10 senior members flooding their 20 bed ward!  Find out if there is any training required?

Most hospitals have some sort of volunteer coordinator.  Get with them and find out if there is any other ways your cadets could help the hospital besides just visiting patients.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tdepp

I think it is great and kind and inspiring idea for both the cadets and patients alike.  The other posters have done a good job posing the issues you may have to deal with to make it happen in a pediatric facility.  But I think everyone will benefit and be touched by the gesture if it is done properly.  Good luck.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Walkman

Yes, thanks for the ideas. I'm not attached to a unit right now as I'm in the middle of moving from one state to another, but I'd like to see about putting something like this together in the not-too-distant future.