exercise participation GTM

Started by miked95, December 09, 2021, 10:53:58 PM

Eclipse

This is the only level of "security" CAP members are allowed to provide anywhere.

A point often lost or ignored during the airshow and crash scene briefings.

Members can "observe and report" only.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on December 11, 2021, 08:26:45 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2021, 11:23:22 PMDwight, I think your perception of the CAWG GT activity is a little flawed. There have been a few GT missions here in the past few years, a couple of which drew on our GT resources all over the state. I don't recall specific details (one possibly a missing person search up north), but they were well discussed at our squadron meetings.

They participated in the search and rescue operation to the same degree that we participated in the red cross food bank mission.  As perimeter security and unskilled manual labor.  And were no doubt considered to be very useful and valuable in that capacity, but they were not used as a ground SAR team.

No, there was greater participation than that, as in actually tromping around in the woods, using real GT skills. I don't recall, or have any access to details right now, but there were at least two or three Group 8 folks up there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Sorry, that was in 2020. Here's something publicity:

QuoteOn September 7, 2020, 92-year-old Mr. Lewis Schluchter was last seen. The athletic Mr. Schluchter is known in the community for taking hikes near his home in Buck Meadows, California, in the woods just outside Yosemite National Park. The Mariposa County Sheriff's Department organized a search and on Thursday, September 18, 2020, asked for additional assistance from other search and rescue groups including Civil Air Patrol to widen the search area. California Wing, during fire recovery and food bank missions, answered the call. Living up to the unofficial motto of the Wing "Send Me". On Friday, September 19, 2020, the search team grew to 50 including members of the California Wing of the Civil Air Patrol.

The twelve qualified Ground Team Members gathered from all over the state. These unpaid volunteers, including adult and cadet members. California Wing Commander, Colonel Ross Veta, a San Diego resident also volunteered. "I am so proud of the monumental effort and dedication that our ground teams continue to exhibit during this search. The expert performance of these teams has been recognized as a vital asset by the Mariposa County Sheriff Search and Rescue" said Col Veta.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret