Main Menu

70-1u requires 70-1?!?!?

Started by Kurusca, October 27, 2023, 12:34:51 AM

Kurusca

Very confused here and hoping someone out there has an answer.  I have my 107 with the FAA and on working towards my Form 5u.  I know that I will need to take a pass the 70-1u in e-services, but when I go to start it, it shows that I have to take and pass the full 70-1 before I can take the 70-1U???  I am not a full aircraft pilot and do not see how I should be required to have that full knowledge set when I am not authorized by either the FAA nor CAP to operate that class of aircraft.
Any ideas??

PHall

Have you looked at the 70-1 to see what is on it? You may know more then you think you do.

Paul Creed III

Yes, the 70-1 is required before taking the 70-1u.

https://capdronewiki.notion.site/A-Annual-Online-Exam-s-0ea567231b674f8297f9fa918f47fa23

CAPR 70-1 will be immensely helpful in completing the 70-1 test.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

jeders

One of the best ways that I've heard it explained is like this; first we qualify the mission, then we qualify the aircraft, the we qualify the person. The 70-1 general exam is to ensure that you understand the mission portion, the 70-1u exam ensures that you understand the aircraft (sUAS in this case) portion, and the check ride ensures that you are capable of operating the system. Every pilot, whether they fly powered aircraft, balloons, gliders, or UAS has to prove that they understand the foundational requirements first.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Paul Creed III

Quote from: jeders on October 30, 2023, 02:59:42 PMOne of the best ways that I've heard it explained is like this; first we qualify the mission, then we qualify the aircraft, the we qualify the person. The 70-1 general exam is to ensure that you understand the mission portion, the 70-1u exam ensures that you understand the aircraft (sUAS in this case) portion, and the check ride ensures that you are capable of operating the system. Every pilot, whether they fly powered aircraft, balloons, gliders, or UAS has to prove that they understand the foundational requirements first.

As a check pilot, I approve this message.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager