Incident Communications Center Manager (ICCM)

Started by Combat_Comm, April 25, 2019, 06:51:22 PM

Fubar

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2019, 05:44:50 AMBut.......maybe if someone were to push the idea of a mobile communications suit (phones, computers, vtc, data back up, internet source)....and they come up with a price tag for 2-3/wing.....I bet the money could be found.

Just ask the Red Cross. They've spent millions on equipment to bring infrastructure to areas that don't have it so they can fulfill their mission. Satellite ground stations, portable satellite kits with computers and VOIP phones, radio equipment, heck they can even burn you a gift card while you munch on a meal and get directions to the shelter.

But then, the Red Cross has specific, defined missions and they know what they need. It doesn't hurt the American public is more than happy to open their wallets for them as well.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: CAP9907 on May 10, 2019, 04:38:03 AM

again, wayyy low prices don't work if you have zero dollars.. let alone a networked Comms/data fusion system...

I found your problem.

Recruit a fundraiser person.

If you can't find a way to fund $10/mo, your squadron is in dire straits.

Combat_Comm

Well here's the thing, we keep the CUL out of the planning loop because we have become convinced that we don't have a comm capability. We at the very least have vans with radios. There is free software to plot out where your radio coverage gets shaky. If the CUL is included in the planning and knows where the search area is going, not stuck babysitting inexperienced MROs, then he can work to determine:

Where do I need a relay set up to provide the best coverage to support the plan? What equipment, power source, people to I need? Who do we need to talk to? Is there another agency in that area we need to liasion with?

BTW this is what they teach when you become a FEMA Coml. The CUL is not the radio room guy. FEMA and the National Wildfire Working Group makes that clear. Our OSC and PSC are NOT comms people. They have NO training in communication planning.

For an ELT search, ICCM is completely unnecessary but for larger multi agency responses they can be valuable to free up the CUL to do what he needs to do.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Richard Long, Capt., CAP
Commander
Cumberland Composite Squadron TN-393
Tennessee Wing

Combat_Comm

On the equipment side, our wing has 2 communication trailers. Both are 4 radio position. 3 VHF, 1 HF, a CUL. We will be adding HF digital soon. In addition we have a VHF and VHF/HF fly away kits to go forward and set up relay stations to provide support for ground ops. We use HF to reach back from remote locations to the ICP, Wing, and region HQ. We have been very successful.

This was my job for 10 years on active duty, 4 presidental declared disasters and more incidents than I can count. 

FILO '97 to '01 ATCALS radio shop!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Richard Long, Capt., CAP
Commander
Cumberland Composite Squadron TN-393
Tennessee Wing