Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

kwe1009

I switched to the dark blue name tapes on the BDU as well.  Looks way better. 

JC004

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on October 20, 2016, 02:20:42 PM
Friends in high places and all!

He's still national guard, so it's no skin off his back, really.  Nice guy, dedicated public servant.  It's good when your elected official is willing to do more than pay lip service to CAP or show up for photos for 15 minutes, and make sure your cadets actually, physically, have what they need too.

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 20, 2016, 09:41:36 PM
I switched to the dark blue name tapes on the BDU as well.  Looks way better.

It is exactly 10,000 times better.  I measured.

Spam

1000 times better?

Twenty Percent Cooler, there, Rainbow Dash!

V/r
Spam

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JC004 on October 20, 2016, 10:16:30 AM
But I did get switched over to the ABU as well.  A set of ABUs, fleece, Gore-Tex parka and pants didn't cost me anything, so why not...  My state representative offered to pick up a set of ABUs for me when he returned from the capital...now that's a high level of service from an elected official.   >:D

Nice!  Now, where's the phone number of our guy...   >:D

JC004

Quote from: Spam on October 20, 2016, 10:38:03 PM
1000 times better?

Twenty Percent Cooler, there, Rainbow Dash!

V/r
Spam

No no no.  Precisely 10,000 times better.  It's freaking awesome-level better.  aaaaaand they match, unlike a lot of what we've had to deal with in the past (the issue of aircrew wings being WAY different when compared to pilot and observer wings notwithstanding). 

Beyond just color issues, this is the annoying crap we've had to deal with over the past several years:

kwe1009

There is no guarantee that we won't have similar issues once Vanguard places an order to replace their current stock of dark blue cloth and either can't get what they previously ordered or they decide to go with something different or cheaper.

JC004

oh, they do it just to be funny.

...and because CAP has no CAP-SPECS.

...and because Vanguard forgot about quality control for things like what might happen when your Gore-Tex tab is exposed to, you know, rain....like it's SUPPOSED TO BE:

NIN

BTW, this is why I always always recommend that you pre-wash/pre-shrink your insignia before sewing.

I stick my insignia into a shirt or trouser pocket with one of those "color catcher" sheets and then wash the the whole deal once in warm water and run it thru the dryer.

After that, *never* run my uniform thru the dryer, BTW, to keep the dimensional stability of the insignia.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JC004

I use very hot water and hand-washing laundry detergent, squeeze, spray with more hot water, squeeze, then pat dry with paper towels to remove excess dye.  I also steam, steam, and steam some more with an iron so the insignia shrinks as much as it's going to.  THEN they get very stiff interfacing backings, folded with sharp edges, tacked, basted, and sewn tightly down. 

They all bleed, but no Vanguard insignia has ever bled like the parka tabs they were producing.  A little rain, and it turned the leaf DARK BROWN.  Then it CONTINUED to bleed dye in water.  I removed a lot of the dye that had soaked into the leaf, but not nearly enough.

Ozzy

So I haven't really heard anybody bring it up, but there is an update for the ABU wear, dated 24 Oct 2016.

Found here:
https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/cap-transition-to-abus-announced/

Changes:
1. Unit/Organizational patch and National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 are also allowed to be wown on the right breast pocket.
2. Members may wear the BDU Field Jacket or Gortex Parka with the ABU until 01 Jun 2018.

That is all.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

DakRadz

Ozzy- I noticed it, but I was avoiding pretty much everything potentially controversial since the election was already creating enough of that.
>:D

Good changes, within the realm of CAP reality. And I've seen (from afar) the same allowances for military types, who are either paid or receive a uniform stipend, if not both.

Damron

Quote from: Ozzy on November 17, 2016, 06:13:22 PM
So I haven't really heard anybody bring it up, but there is an update for the ABU wear, dated 24 Oct 2016.

Found here:
https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/cap-transition-to-abus-announced/

Changes:
1. Unit/Organizational patch and National Staff Badge shown in attachment A6-1 are also allowed to be wown on the right breast pocket.
2. Members may wear the BDU Field Jacket or Gortex Parka with the ABU until 01 Jun 2018.

That is all.

I'm glad they authorized the BDU field jacket for continued use.  The APECS parka is expensive and doesn't show up in big numbers in the surplus haunts I frequent.   And, I just love the M-65.

Ozzy

APECS (Gortex) Parka depends on where you get it... I bought a few weeks ago a brand new one with tags for $50 on ebay and $35 for slightly used pants (No stains). I also was able to score a level 7 ECWCS top and bottom new for $70. I won't have any problem any more with the cold!

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

jeders

And yet, the guidance still refers to wearing them "off base".
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

I would like to see the service life extended of the woodland GoreTex parka by authorizing it with the flight suit (AF style).  This is permitted by AFI, so should be for CAP.

I would also like to see a different GoreTex parka authorized for the Blueberry Suit.  I plan to submit such a proposal.

jeders

Quote from: JC004 on November 19, 2016, 12:17:32 AM
I would also like to see a different GoreTex parka authorized for the Blueberry Suit.  I plan to submit such a proposal.

Or better yet, authorize woodland or ABU goretex parka with the blue BDUs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Damron

You can wear just about any Goretex parka you wish with the BBDU as long as it is "conservatively colored".   

5.2.1.10. Outergarments. Outergarments for this uniform include the blue field jacket, black fleece or any conservatively colored commercial coat that covers the shirt.

JC004

Quote from: jeders on November 21, 2016, 02:04:11 PM

Or better yet, authorize woodland or ABU goretex parka with the blue BDUs.

The Air Force would approve that?  I severely doubt the Air Force would be totally excited about that.

Quote from: Damron on November 21, 2016, 04:23:54 PM

You can wear just about any Goretex parka you wish with the BBDU as long as it is "conservatively colored".   

5.2.1.10. Outergarments. Outergarments for this uniform include the blue field jacket, black fleece or any conservatively colored commercial coat that covers the shirt.

The Woodland GoreTex, a uniform item the Air Force still wishes to control, qualifies as a commercial design?  I'm not sure the Air Force would agree with that either.  And attaching grade insignia?  Big no-no.  If the Air Force wanted CAP wearing military-distinctive items with the Blueberry Suit, that would be included.

Damron

Quote from: JC004 on November 21, 2016, 05:09:58 PM

The Woodland GoreTex, a uniform item the Air Force still wishes to control, qualifies as a commercial design?  I'm not sure the Air Force would agree with that either.  And attaching grade insignia?  Big no-no.  If the Air Force wanted CAP wearing military-distinctive items with the Blueberry Suit, that would be included.

When you said you would like to see a different parka authorized for the BBDU, I didn't think you were referring to any uniform items.

Eclipse

Is grade really that important?

Something like this:

Is a much better choice for CAP across the board then camo or dark blue.

I wonder when that message is ever going to get across - we're not hiding.

"That Others May Zoom"