Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

Luis R. Ramos

In other words, the Civil Air Patrol has a uniform that is... NOT uniform.

:P

In other words, the US Army has a uniform that is... NOT uniform!

???

In other words, will the United States Air Force have a uniform that is... NOT uniform?

;D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Damron

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 10, 2016, 12:30:05 AM
In other words, the Civil Air Patrol has a uniform that is... NOT uniform.

:P

In other words, the US Army has a uniform that is... NOT uniform!

???

In other words, will the United States Air Force have a uniform that is... NOT uniform?

;D

Among a group wearing a mix of BDU and ABU, the biggest thing that's likely to stick out is if somebody is wearing something other than a patrol cap with their BDU's. 

DDeCotto

Quote from: C/CMSgt Allen on May 05, 2016, 11:43:53 AM
I am really excited for the ABU's! They look really nice and professional. My only problem is that the switch may be costly.
Costly and hard to find depending of the sizes. My son is 13 years old. Sizes are too big on him. [emoji20]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: doyola38 on October 18, 2016, 12:37:49 AM
I am really excited for the ABU's! They look really nice and professional. My only problem is that the switch may be costly.
Costly and hard to find depending of the sizes. My son is 13 years old. Sizes are too big on him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Propper-Air-Force-ABU-Jackets-50-50-Nylon-Cotton-TWILL-/151831847402

At these prices you could have them taken in, etc.

I just personally sewed two sets of these over the weekend and they are very well made.

"That Others May Zoom"

DDeCotto

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2016, 12:56:47 AM
Quote from: doyola38 on October 18, 2016, 12:37:49 AM
Costly and hard to find depending of the sizes. My son is 13 years old. Sizes are too big on him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Propper-Air-Force-ABU-Jackets-50-50-Nylon-Cotton-TWILL-/151831847402

At these prices you could have them taken in, etc.

I just personally sewed two sets of these over the weekend and they are very well made.

Thks...everywhere I look they are too big for my 13 year old son. [emoji20]

Eclipse

That was my point, you won't find them in an exact size, since these are generally adult clothes.

It's not unusual for cadets to be swimming in their uniforms the first year or two.  Get something close,
put in some temp stitches here and there so he isn't tripping over the arms and buy the kid a sandwich.

"That Others May Zoom"

DDeCotto

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2016, 01:12:13 AM
That was my point, you won't find them in an exact size, since these are generally adult clothes.

It's not unusual for cadets to be swimming in their uniforms the first year or two.  Get something close,
put in some temp stitches here and there so he isn't tripping over the arms and buy the kid a sandwich.
[emoji6] [emoji6]  Thanks.

HGjunkie

Those sizes are HUGE. You can't get them tailored in nearly enough for a reasonable price. I was issued 42Ls in basic and had them tailored in to a 36L size last year - you'd be paying more for the alterations than new ABUs trying to get  them to fit a typical 13 y/o. 
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2016, 03:17:15 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282215959267

There are a TON of ABU on ebay in all sizes, used and new.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=abu+shirt

SHH.  Don't tell them that until I get another set.

I just got ABU GoreTex parka AND pants for $55 total, nice and new.  The parka alone is $180 from AAFES and $250 commercial retail.

NIN

http://www.militaryclothing.com/Kids-Air-Force-ABU-Uniform-4-Piece-Set.aspx

While they're not Milspec, when it comes to our smallest cadets you kind of have to sometimes adjust fire.

Unfortunately, nobody is making kid-sized Blues. There's no market for that.

At least these ABUs are way, way better, visually, than the kid-sized BDUs (the ones with the single exposed button pockets)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

kwe1009

Quote from: doyola38 on October 18, 2016, 01:20:40 AM

Take a look at the female ABUs.  They are cut for women but come in smaller sizes. 

DDeCotto

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 18, 2016, 07:43:33 PM
Quote from: doyola38 on October 18, 2016, 01:20:40 AM

Take a look at the female ABUs.  They are cut for women but come in smaller sizes.
Thks

RazorbackPride

What's the rush? Your son will be an adult by the time he needs ABU's.

PHall

Quote from: RazorbackPride on October 19, 2016, 03:17:55 AM

What's the rush? He's a cadet. Need we say more? :o

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on October 19, 2016, 03:28:36 AM

So far I have seen both cadets and SM frantically trying to find ABUs like they are the only authorized uniform.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 19, 2016, 12:31:28 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 19, 2016, 03:28:36 AM

So far I have seen both cadets and SM frantically trying to find ABUs like they are the only authorized uniform.
Hmm...I've seen that as well, just not on my unit or any of the nearby units.  Good decision making, I think!  People are looking hard at the *need*, the cost, and the timescales.  We've certainly encouraged our cadets to think that way. 

Майор Хаткевич

I'm still a bit away from H/W for ABU/BDUs, but with the tape changes, I'm really digging the BBDUs.

JC004

I was mostly moving as quickly as possible to get everything in dark blue, because it looks precisely 10,000 times better than bright-freaking-blue:

But I did get switched over to the ABU as well.  A set of ABUs, fleece, Gore-Tex parka and pants didn't cost me anything, so why not...  My state representative offered to pick up a set of ABUs for me when he returned from the capital...now that's a high level of service from an elected official.   >:D

Майор Хаткевич

Friends in high places and all!