Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: THRAWN on June 09, 2016, 01:55:17 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 09, 2016, 01:50:35 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 09, 2016, 11:30:16 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on June 09, 2016, 05:26:57 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 09, 2016, 04:54:59 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 09, 2016, 12:46:23 AM
All this talk about ABUs when the real question is, when are we getting the multicams? >:D

Well...if it stays a deployment only uniform...never.

The Army is issuing Scorpion/OCP now to all soldiers as far as I'm aware. It's no longer deployment only. They've been available for a year now.

I see more and more Air Force Airmen wearing them on base. It's still a deployment uniform for them, but I think it's only a matter of time before it becomes an everyday uniform, especially because Congress wants all the Services to go back to a single field uniform. If/When that happens, we'll start to hear the question of when are we (CAP) getting that uniform.

"When do we get velcro?!"

Ugh. I deal with that on the ACU. Every single time I put it on, I miss my BDUs even more.

How many poor souls have lost a patch in a dress-right-dress?

That moment you go "Gentl---ugh, crap."

Al Sayre

Quote from: THRAWN on June 09, 2016, 04:55:39 PM

True. But how did you know I promised my lovely bride a throne for our anniversary?

Snip

Me too, I'm installing it next week. It's white porcelain with a silver handle...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

grunt82abn

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 09, 2016, 08:43:43 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on June 09, 2016, 04:55:39 PM

True. But how did you know I promised my lovely bride a throne for our anniversary?

Snip

Me too, I'm installing it next week. It's white porcelain with a silver handle...

This might be the Crappiest Throne yet? ;D ;D ;D
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

SarDragon

Quote from: Storm Chaser on June 09, 2016, 11:30:16 AM
I see more and more Air Force Airmen wearing them on base. It's still a deployment uniform for them, but I think it's only a matter of time before it becomes an everyday uniform, especially because Congress wants all the Services to go back to a single field uniform. If/When that happens, we'll start to hear the question of when are we (CAP) getting that uniform.
It's already here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAREXinNY

Quote from: lordmonar on May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM
And the date is 15 Jun 2016

OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL COMMANDER
CIVIL AIR PATROL
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE AUXILIARY
MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, ALABAMA 36112-5937

4 May 2016

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP MEMBERS FROM: CAP/CC
SUBJECT:  CAP Transition to the Airman Battle Uniform (ABU)

1. I am pleased to announce that the Air Force has approved Civil Air Patrol's request to
transition to the Airman Battle Uniform. As the official auxiliary of the Air Force CAP has a long
history of wearing a USAF style uniform and our transition to the ABU once again brings us in line
with our parent service.

2. As a result of negotiations with the Army & Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES), CAP has also
been approved to receive a significant number of excess ABUs.  This will allow many CAP members to
receive the basic ABU shirt and pants at no cost. We are currently working with AAFES to take
possession of the excess uniforms and each Wing is establishing a distribution plan. We expect
these uniforms to be available to members in the field this summer.

3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear the ABU
with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions. Vanguard will
begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016.
The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) may
continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021. CAP will also begin to
transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs with a mandatory wear date of
15 June 2021.  Members are not required to change the tapes on existing uniforms until the
mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must match. The attached wear instructions
will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is
released.

3. If you have any comments or concerns, contact Ms Susan Parker, CAP/DP at (334) 953- 7748,
extension 212 or email sparker@capnhq.gov.

JOSEPH R. VAZQUEZ
Major General, CAP Commander

Atch
ABU Wear instructions

I'm sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the discussion threads...but is there a reason V isn't carrying the new uniforms yet?

Eclipse

Quote from: SAREXinNY on June 20, 2016, 02:38:46 PM
I'm sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the discussion threads...but is there a reason V isn't carrying the new uniforms yet?

Will they ever?

They don't actually sell clothing for the other services, just CAP (why would they when they are an insignia vendor and
the services have more direct channels).

Assuming they start selling ABUs, it'll probably be under the same "special" as the other clothing items listed
as "CAP".

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

I just kitted myself in ABUs for $60 by running to a surplus store yesterday (minus hat.) I'm dead certain that the cost would have been $120 from vanguard.

Simple Jack

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on June 20, 2016, 03:28:07 PM

I just kitted myself in ABUs for $60 by running to a surplus store yesterday (minus hat.) I'm dead certain that the cost would have been $120 from vanguard.
More than likely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Eclipse

It struck me last night that CAP now has, (and will until at least 2021), five (5) different field uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Simple Jack

Quote from: Eclipse on June 29, 2016, 10:47:04 PM
It struck me last night that CAP now has, (and will until at least 2021), five (5) different field uniforms.
What are the other 2 besides the ABU'S, BDU'S and corporate BDU'S?

Eclipse

BDU and CFU have light blue and dark blue tapes and insignia.

6 actually, since the CWU is also explicitly approved for field wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

Simple Jack

What is the difference between the CFU and CWU?

Luis R. Ramos

CFU=Blue BDU or BBDU

CWU=Blue polo and grey pants
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Are you saying that because the BDU and BBDU can be worn with two different color tapes they are four different uniforms?

To me the color of the tape does not make them different uniforms. Those variations are the same as wearing a different Wing patch, or wearing them with the two different ES patches.
Squadron Safety Officer

Simple Jack

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 30, 2016, 12:13:39 AM
Are you saying that because the BDU and BBDU can be worn with two different color tapes they are four different uniforms?

To me the color of the tape does not make them different uniforms. Those variations are the same as wearing a different Wing patch, or wearing them with the two different ES patches.
Thats what was trying to figure out. Just because the name tapes are different that does not make them different uniforms.

Luis R. Ramos

We worry to death about the amount of uniforms we wear.

If the Army of the United States had worried about the uniforms they had to wear to the field they would not have won World War II. Count the following uniforms they could have taken to the field:

1. The Summer or Winter Service Uniform, as appropriate for their theater. The khaki or OD wool.
2. The Summer pants with Winter shirt. In the Philippines and tropics such as mountains of Hawaii.
3. The fatigue uniform, initially color blue then olive drab, to be worn at times over their service uniforms, sometimes alone without other uniforms under.
4. In winter, a Makinaw.
5. In winter, the M-43 jacket. Grandfather of the M-65 winter jacket.
6. In winter, two different variations of the winter coat, one made in 1940, the other 1941.
7. In winter over 4, 5, and 6 a winter wool coat.
8. Combat boots there were several types as well.
8a. Short ankle boots with leggins.
8b. Short ankle boots with extensions sewn on, usually referred as "having reversed upper leather," these had two short belts.
8c. Tall boots late in the war.
8d. Tall parachute boots, initially reserved for paratroopers, later extended to glider crews.
9. A coverall, initially for only mechanics and armor crews then infantry was allowed to wear it as well.
10. The Ike Jacket
11. Pinks and Greens, officers only. Wool coat, the Greens. Pants almost looked Pink in color... Not a field uniform, but in 1937 the service coat was supposed to be taken to the field. In 1941 with the two coats mentioned in 6 above, the Service Coat was relegated to garrison only.

If with all these uniform variations the United States Army was able to win World War II, I am sure that CAP will be able to do the job as well. After all, we only have 5 uniforms!

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 29, 2016, 11:43:37 PM
CFU=Blue BDU or BBDU

CWU = Blue polo and grey pants

Correct CFU = Corporate Field Uniform.

CWU = Corporate Working Uniform

(To save people from looking it up...)

CFDU = Corporate Flight Duty Uniform.

When standing together, it will look like colors on parade, and the questions will be raised
(by those all important yet unimportant yet important outside people) as to who can't read the regs,
or bleached their tapes.

6 combos for the next 5 years.

We're not the Army or the military, so I really don't care what they do or did - we are volunteers desperately trying to
hold onto credibility, and we have to do it on our own nickel.  At my meeting last night the majority
were all wearing BDU or CFU in the "former" colors.

We looked like an actual uniformed service. 

What I have to look forward to now is 5 years of uniform creep as people adapt or adopt. 
This is to the detriment of the uniformity, external appearance, and to zero mission benefit.

By next encampment season the cadre and students are going to look like a Joint Task Force, not a single service.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

When it is convenient for our point of view... "Look at us!" "Ma Blue etc." "We are military" "Air Force this, that...!"

When it is not convenient, "We are not military."

Those that worry so much about the uniform, have you heard any of our potential clients actually say something like "You do not have credibility because of your uniforms?" 

If not, it is in your head.
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 30, 2016, 03:49:37 AM
Those that worry so much about the uniform, have you heard any of our potential clients actually say something like "You do not have credibility because of your uniforms?" 

Nope, and you never will.  They smile politely and thank you for coming.

The sound of the phone not ringing is the notification when you've lost credibility.

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 30, 2016, 03:49:37 AM
When it is convenient for our point of view... "Look at us!" "Ma Blue etc." "We are military" "Air Force this, that...!"

When it is not convenient, "We are not military."

Agreed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2016, 03:37:39 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 29, 2016, 11:43:37 PM
CFU=Blue BDU or BBDU

CWU = Blue polo and grey pants

Correct CFU = Corporate Field Uniform.

CWU = Corporate Working Uniform

(To save people from looking it up...)

CFDU = Corporate Flight Duty Uniform.

When standing together, it will look like colors on parade, and the questions will be raised
(by those all important yet unimportant yet important outside people) as to who can't read the regs,
or bleached their tapes.

6 combos for the next 5 years.

We're not the Army or the military, so I really don't care what they do or did - we are volunteers desperately trying to
hold onto credibility, and we have to do it on our own nickel.  At my meeting last night the majority
were all wearing BDU or CFU in the "former" colors.

We looked like an actual uniformed service. 

What I have to look forward to now is 5 years of uniform creep as people adapt or adopt. 
This is to the detriment of the uniformity, external appearance, and to zero mission benefit.

By next encampment season the cadre and students are going to look like a Joint Task Force, not a single service.

We have our meetings at a National Guard facility.  I've observed a handful of uniforms on the same day, including both variations of the ACU, UCP and Multicam.  I've even seen somebody fresh from jungle school in BDU's. In 2018, a third camo patttern will join the ACU mix, the OCP.   Along with the patrol cap, there are four beret colors.   Then there are cav and campaign hats.

So, despite hundreds of possible ACU combinations...nobody cares.