Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

Eclipse

If the average cadet doesn't need new BDUs because of growth issues in 1-2 years, they need to see a Dr.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

It seems that a number of folks are assuming cadets will stay the same size for their cadet career. Most of our cadets will out grow their bdus before they wear them out. Get bdus now and when the cadet outgrows them in 12-18 months, replace with abus. Buy this now and replace later cost argument nullified - they're going to have replace bdus anyway.

TheSkyHornet

Fair and valid point(s).

I think that's where the unit donation/return policy comes in to be very important. We try to issue and cycle uniforms back through; or, encourage the parents to "donate" them to the unit so we can later lend them to the cadets. We really try to push that so the parents don't keep purchasing new items. Covers are the hardest to manage, in my opinion. This all goes back to "if the unit can provide it, the unit can mandate it."

Welcome to a youth organization. Don't expect things to be free; don't expect your child to stay little forever. Then again, we have some humongous 14-year-olds. I say that as someone who's 5'4 :P

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2016, 03:56:54 PM
If the average cadet doesn't need new BDUs because of growth issues in 1-2 years, they need to see a Dr.

There is a set of  twins at my olde unit, who joined right before I left in late 2014. I see them occasionally, and I swear in the nearly 2 years since I left, they have not grown an inch. They are still in the "kiddie camo" BDUs because they are so small. I believe they are nearing 14 now, as they joined right at 12.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

supertigerCH

pretty funny

yes there are always exceptions that no one can do anything about.  all you can do is take them as they come, and do you're best to solve the situation as best as possible.

winterg

Has anyone found a vendor yet to embroider AF occupational badges in light silver on dark blue? I did not see it as an option from the vendors I usually used. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

NIN

Quote from: winterg on June 08, 2016, 03:04:10 PM
Has anyone found a vendor yet to embroider AF occupational badges in light silver on dark blue? I did not see it as an option from the vendors I usually used. 

It really depends on the definition of "light silver" (and in some ways, we're not going to know what color "light silver" actually winds up being until we have it in hand)

Williams & Williams and The Battlezone can probably square you away.

If you're looking for other services badges, I've had tremendous service from Spur (http://1800nametape.com/) but you really need to call them to get a "specialty" item like that.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

winterg

Yeah, I was planing to see what Vanguard put out as far as light silver.  I've had great service from Spur for a long time as well. Was just wondering if anyone had gotten the ball rolling with anyone yet. 

kwe1009

Quote from: winterg on June 08, 2016, 03:38:14 PM
Yeah, I was planing to see what Vanguard put out as far as light silver.  I've had great service from Spur for a long time as well. Was just wondering if anyone had gotten the ball rolling with anyone yet. 

Vanguard is probably not going to offer any USAF badges in CAP colors besides the VERY few they offer today.

RogueLeader

I think the wait is to see the actual thread color, not that we are expecting Vanguard to actually produce them.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

winterg

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 08, 2016, 03:42:35 PM

Vanguard is probably not going to offer any USAF badges in CAP colors besides the VERY few they offer today.
I don't expect Vanguard to make them. Just want to see the shade of the light silver on CAP stuff for an example to bring to the outside company to make AF badges for me.  And maybe others. If they're nice to me. 

Майор Хаткевич

This would have been a great time for CAP to specify a standard. Blue shade XYZ, and Silver Thread ZYX

NIN

I was actually going to call Rob at Spur this week and see if he had any insight into the "light silver" (maybe, just maybe, he's got a killer intel network) and go from there.

Since my white-on-Navy wings aren't gonna cut it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

winterg

Quote from: NIN on June 08, 2016, 04:48:24 PM

I was actually going to call Rob at Spur this week and see if he had any insight into the "light silver" (maybe, just maybe, he's got a killer intel network) and go from there.

Please let me know what you hear.

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 08, 2016, 04:10:52 PM
This would have been a great time for CAP to specify a standard. Blue shade XYZ, and Silver Thread ZYX

You're new here, aren't you?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on June 08, 2016, 04:48:24 PM

I just ordered a size down BBDU, since my current set is starting to feel like a parachute, but then held off on ordering the tapes/badges/grade etc, until the new standard hits. Hoping VG drops the whole thing on the 15th, not just the tapes.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on June 08, 2016, 04:50:42 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 08, 2016, 04:10:52 PM

You're new here, aren't you?

I still haven't lost hope.

grunt82abn

Why would they need to see a doctor? Everyone grows at different rates, and some are people just short. My daughter is 4' 11", has been since 14, she is now 17, she is just genetically predisposition to be short. Don't need a doctor to tell me that
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: grunt82abn on June 08, 2016, 04:54:16 PM

Why would they need to see a doctor? Everyone grows at different rates, and some are people just short. My daughter is 4' 11", has been since 14, she is now 17, she is just genetically predisposition to be short. Don't need a doctor to tell me that

How tall was she at 12? Girls tend to stop growing around 14, boys a bit later.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on June 08, 2016, 04:56:22 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on June 08, 2016, 04:54:16 PM

How tall was she at 12? Girls tend to stop growing around 14, boys a bit later.

4' 10", My oldest is the tallest at 5'2", my wife 5'1", My youngest at 5'0". Took after the wife and her family of short rounds
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present