Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

PHall

Quote from: Sketch on May 15, 2016, 01:59:23 AM
Having already worn ABUs previously, I'm planning to stick with the BBDUs as well simply because they are far more comfortable and functional in the field. ABUs were never really designed to function outside of an office/CONUS environment which is why the vast majority of Air Force line personnel overseas wear Multicam (there are exceptions obviously). Again, I didn't wear them in the field which I'm greatful for because they are heavy and don't breathe. This was a few years ago so maybe a lighter version has come out, but my overall impression was no thanks.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of opposition for this too, but I never really saw the purpose to switch to ABUs specifically other than just to say "hey air force, look, over here, we're part of the club too!" even though some would argue against that. Sure we are technically members of "total force", but at the end of the day having ABUs doesn't really serve a purpose to us beyond just being the USAF Aux. Do we need a new working uniform? Yes; however I feel ABUs will end up being disliked by CAP members over time.

Yeah, there's been a few changes like the Rip Stop ABU's which are much lighter. And the only place the "Multicam" uniform is worn is in the CENTCOM AOR. They're wearing ABU's in Europe and Asia.
Go ahead and wear the BBDU's. Somebody has to keep buying them from Scamguard...

Sketch

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2016, 02:08:07 AM
Yeah, there's been a few changes like the Rip Stop ABU's which are much lighter. And the only place the "Multicam" uniform is worn is in the CENTCOM AOR. They're wearing ABU's in Europe and Asia.
Go ahead and wear the BBDU's. Somebody has to keep buying them from Scamguard...
Thanks for the info, mine were probably a "winter weight" than which is why they weren't that great.

Also I don't buy ANY clothing from vanguard. I get all of my uniforms brand new from other websites like ebay and tacticalgear.com (which also happens to have brand new proper BDUs). Prices are often cheaper and shipping is much more affordable and faster this way.

Hyperion

Switching from the BDU to the Corporate Field Uniform ("BBDU") has been one of the best decisions I've made in CAP. The new ABU design CAP wants to go for is hilariously ugly and I just can't take it seriously. But if you wear the CFU with the new matching tapes, sleeves rolled up, and maintain the AF h/w/g standard, you can look very professional like an actual SAR officer. I'm slowly convincing the other officers in my unit to transfer from the BDU to the CFU as well. Hopefully we can get all officers in the CFU and all cadets into ABUs soon.

It's also fun wearing the Air Force Service Dress for formal wear but the Corporate Field Uniform for utility work because whenever someone tells me it's a blues night I can jokingly ask "which one?"

On a side note, does anyone think CAP will authorize those "morale Friday" t-shirts the AF loves? If we're going to look like clowns in the ABUs we might as well join in the fun and wear those pink / orange t-shirts so many AF squadrons seem to love.
To serve in silence.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Hyperion on May 15, 2016, 08:37:54 AM

On a side note, does anyone think CAP will authorize those "morale Friday" t-shirts the AF loves? If we're going to look like clowns in the ABUs we might as well join in the fun and wear those pink / orange t-shirts so many AF squadrons seem to love.

Dude they got rid of all that what feels like forever ago. No friday patch, and no friday shirt.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

PHall

Quote from: DocJekyll on May 15, 2016, 03:02:28 PM

Dude they got rid of all that what feels like forever ago. No friday patch, and no friday shirt.

You better check a current version of AFI 36-2903, because they're authorized. Unit Commander's option.

stillamarine

Quote from: Sketch on May 15, 2016, 01:59:23 AM
Having already worn ABUs previously, I'm planning to stick with the BBDUs as well simply because they are far more comfortable and functional in the field. ABUs were never really designed to function outside of an office/CONUS environment which is why the vast majority of Air Force line personnel overseas wear Multicam (there are exceptions obviously). Again, I didn't wear them in the field which I'm greatful for because they are heavy and don't breathe. This was a few years ago so maybe a lighter version has come out, but my overall impression was no thanks.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of opposition for this too, but I never really saw the purpose to switch to ABUs specifically other than just to say "hey air force, look, over here, we're part of the club too!" even though some would argue against that. Sure we are technically members of "total force", but at the end of the day having ABUs doesn't really serve a purpose to us beyond just being the USAF Aux. Do we need a new working uniform? Yes; however I feel ABUs will end up being disliked by CAP members over time.

All the same arguements we heard 25 years ago when we switched to BDUs. "CAP is going to end", "No reason to change our uniform", "We don't need a camo uniform," "BDUs are so ugly". It's the nature of the beast. Ten years from now, no one will even remember these arguements.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Fubar

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2016, 03:18:23 PMYou better check a current version of AFI 36-2903, because they're authorized. Unit Commander's option.

Well, no wonder nobody does it anymore, it's allowed now.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2016, 03:18:23 PM
Quote from: DocJekyll on May 15, 2016, 03:02:28 PM

You better check a current version of AFI 36-2903, because they're authorized. Unit Commander's option.

Yeah, but good luck. lol. Every base I've been to in the last 3-4 years. :(

abdsp51

Quote from: DocJekyll on May 15, 2016, 03:50:25 PM

Every base I have been too since they have been authorized has had them starting in 2013.  Where have you been going? 

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 15, 2016, 04:03:10 PM
Quote from: DocJekyll on May 15, 2016, 03:50:25 PM

Every base I have been too since they have been authorized has had them starting in 2013.  Where have you been going?

I'll go ahead and retract my statement. Apperantly I was being a misinformed POG according to one of my friends. hahaha ;D >:D :clap:

PHall

I will say it's mostly a Flying Unit thing. Haven't seen too many other units on base doing it.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: PHall on May 15, 2016, 06:02:36 PM
I will say it's mostly a Flying Unit thing. Haven't seen too many other units on base doing it.

I've seen several non-flying units with moral/Friday t-shirts.

abdsp51

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 15, 2016, 06:13:47 PM

We had them at DM during my time there 2013-2014, had them at Osan 2015 and here at Travis current.   So it's not just flying units.  In fact the LRS at Kunsan has pink moral shirts..

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 15, 2016, 06:16:02 PM

We had them at DM during my time there 2013-2014, had them at Osan 2015 and here at Travis current.   So it's not just flying units.  In fact the LRS at Kunsan has pink moral shirts..

Guess you didn't notice my use of the word "mostly" and the phrase "too many other units".

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2016, 03:10:18 AM
Guess you didn't notice my use of the word "mostly" and the phrase "too many other units".

No I noticed and provided data against it.  That may be your experience with it but mine and I'm pretty sure plenty others have been the same.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2016, 03:12:35 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2016, 03:10:18 AM

No I noticed and provided data against it.  That may be your experience with it but mine and I'm pretty sure plenty others have been the same.

Well, I spent the last 18 years of my career in the Reserve. Most of the non-flyers tended to be the 2 days a month and 2 weeks in the summer types.
If it wasn't required, it didn't happen. The flyers and the full time folks were a different cup of tea.

Sketch

Some AF commands like them more than others..

SMWOG

I just heard that ABUs are not authorized for wear at the NYWG encampment in July. I cant find any info on the encampment website  or wing website to support this. Is this allowed?

Eclipse

Quote from: SMWOG on May 20, 2016, 03:20:21 AM
I just heard that ABUs are not authorized for wear at the NYWG encampment in July. I cant find any info on the encampment website  or wing website to support this. Is this allowed?

You'd have to ask them.

Interesting side question - are cadets who get CEAP supposed to buy BDUs or ABUs?  And if they get them
free from AAFES, should they return the CEAP uniform money?

"That Others May Zoom"

radioguy

Quote from: SMWOG on May 20, 2016, 03:20:21 AM

I believe that the same applies to the NCWG encampment as well.