Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

THRAWN

9 pages......NINE PAGES of people [censored]ing about getting what they wanted with this uniform. If this much energy went into selling our ES capabilities or performing our AE mission or training cadets to be good citizens, there would be no corner of the nation where CAP would be unknown. I am surprised but shouldn't be. You wanted the ABU, you got it. Quit crying over the boots. You're not in the Air Force. Great mother of pearl....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

Quote from: THRAWN on May 10, 2016, 02:26:55 PM
9 pages......NINE PAGES of people [censored]ing about getting what they wanted with this uniform. If this much energy went into selling our ES capabilities or performing our AE mission or training cadets to be good citizens, there would be no corner of the nation where CAP would be unknown. I am surprised but shouldn't be. You wanted the ABU, you got it. Quit crying over the boots. You're not in the Air Force. Great mother of pearl....
9 pages in a uniform thread? We're just getting warmed up!  >:D

jeders

Quote from: arajca on May 10, 2016, 02:30:53 PM
Only 4 for me, this is nothing.  >:D

Agreed.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jeders on May 10, 2016, 03:53:04 PM
Quote from: arajca on May 10, 2016, 02:30:53 PM
Only 4 for me, this is nothing.  >:D

Agreed.

Same here. Makes searching things easier with more comments / page.

Toth

At this point I have simply decided to wear the BBDU with the new nametapes and rank. Looks professional and doesn't cause an issue with the boots. That's my first and only post on this topic, and my 0.02 on this issue.

And yeah, he makes a strong point here. If we (as CAP members) cared a little more about SAR, CP and AE and a little bit less about what we wear, our program would be many times stronger and respected.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toth on May 10, 2016, 04:33:15 PM
At this point I have simply decided to wear the BBDU with the new nametapes and rank. Looks professional and doesn't cause an issue with the boots. That's my first and only post on this topic, and my 0.02 on this issue.

And yeah, he makes a strong point here. If we (as CAP members) cared a little more about SAR, CP and AE and a little bit less about what we wear, our program would be many times stronger and respected.

Quote1.2.3.2. Cadets will wear the USAF-style uniforms as outlined in this manual as a key component of their cadet experience. However, cadets over age 18 who are not eligible to wear the USAF-style uniforms due to not meeting weight standards are authorized to wear all Corporate-style uniform combinations, except the Corporate Working Uniform since it does not allow for wear of rank insignia.

You're currently the C/CC at your unit. What example are you going to show your cadets? You want to have a formation with three uniforms? Are you so sure your commander will even allow you to do so, unless specifically required as stated above?

Toth

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 10, 2016, 04:53:54 PM
Quote from: Toth on May 10, 2016, 04:33:15 PM

Quote1.2.3.2. Cadets will wear the USAF-style uniforms as outlined in this manual as a key component of their cadet experience. However, cadets over age 18 who are not eligible to wear the USAF-style uniforms due to not meeting weight standards are authorized to wear all Corporate-style uniform combinations, except the Corporate Working Uniform since it does not allow for wear of rank insignia.

You're currently the C/CC at your unit. What example are you going to show your cadets? You want to have a formation with three uniforms? Are you so sure your commander will even allow you to do so, unless specifically required as stated above?

You are correct sir, my apologies, what I meant by that was I will wear the BBDU when I go senior member in the near future, I will continue wearing the BDU for the remainder of the summer due to the requirements of NCSAs and encampments.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

NIN

Quote from: Creed on May 10, 2016, 01:23:16 PM
The black boots really need to go. Why is cap suddenly turned into a cost saving program. We got rid of the american flag because of "cost reduction" and the patch and sewing costs less than 5 dollars. Just let us have the OPTION of sage green boots also. This makes it so that they can be "cost effective" as well as professional looking.

The flag was not eliminated as a "cost reduction".  It was eliminated because it was not a part of the Air Force uniform the minute it was introduced in 2007, but it took that long to finally kill it.

Just chill out on the boots. Things may change down the road.  BDUs were originally worn in very odd ways in 1991, and by the end of 1992, things hand changed.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

grunt82abn

here is my spin, I watch very little change with the AR-670-1 during the first 10 years of my career with the Army, then 2000 hit, and it felt like a new 670-1 was printed Bi-weekly to change something some General or Another didn't like about the Army uniform. It is still occurring to this day and I have been retired 6 years now. Thing some people have to remember is that this organization is operated by a military entity, and you have to have patients and be flexi-Gumby when changes are made. There is my two cents, even though I wear corporate.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: arajca on May 10, 2016, 01:15:09 PM
Quote from: DesertRat on May 09, 2016, 06:23:58 PM
That certainly makes sense, as far as the insertion goes, but was the intention to allow for the same exceptions as the BDU headgear or not?
Given the express instructions on headgear, I would say no exceptions will be made. I'm waiting for the folks who call themselves a French hat to explode or claim not authorizing the beret was merely an oversight and that it really is authorized.

I think it's funny that you're bringing it up. I have one, but I'm not overly concerned. The 'french hats' aren't what matters about that program anyways...

Mission comes first....after all...
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Simple Jack

The best Idea I have seen on the issue of the boots is that the Sage green, Army tan or new coyote, should be authorized to be worn alongside the black boots for ABU's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

abdsp51

Quote from: youduho on May 11, 2016, 01:44:42 AM
The best Idea I have seen on the issue of the boots is that the Sage green, Army tan or new coyote, should be authorized to be worn alongside the black boots for ABU's

Sage boots are a horrible idea and color and have been since it was adopted with the ABU in the AF.  They are a pain to keep clean and once they get coated in sand good luck getting it out.

Simple Jack

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 11, 2016, 03:09:50 AM
Quote from: youduho on May 11, 2016, 01:44:42 AM

Sage boots are a horrible idea and color and have been since it was adopted with the ABU in the AF.  They are a pain to keep clean and once they get coated in sand good luck getting it out.
Black boots are a pain to clean as well and then you also have to shine them.

abdsp51

Quote from: youduho on May 11, 2016, 03:20:01 AM

I'll take cleaning and shining leather over cleaning suede any day.  Leather is 10x easier to care for.  Either way Ma Blue and the NUC have spoken.

Simple Jack

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 11, 2016, 03:51:18 AM

I'll take cleaning and shining leather over cleaning suede any day.  Leather is 10x easier to care for.  Either way Ma Blue and the NUC have spoken.
Well if all of the colors were authorized then you could still use your black boots.

SarDragon

Quote from: youduho on May 11, 2016, 03:54:48 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on May 11, 2016, 03:51:18 AM

Well if all of the colors were authorized then you could still use your black boots.

Well, there's that pesky "uniform" thing involved, too.

Let me ask you a Q - how much real, long term experience do you have with suede footwear? My smooth leather boots are regularly abused, and cleaning them usually only involves a stiff brush, a damp rag, and a coat of polish. Suede (which is also leather that's been treated differently) never ever gets completely clean, and is much more susceptible to staining, particularly by greasy/oily materials.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

I haven't had much trouble with my suede boots and I've had the same pair since 2011.

HGjunkie

My green suedes are relatively easy to clean and I've taken them tromping through some nasty crap which should have discolored them a long time ago. But, a stiff brush and a shower works well every time. They also make suede cleaning kits which work very well also.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MHC5096

I haven't had much trouble with my black leather boots and I had the same 2 pairs since 2000.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Storm Chaser

I've had my pair of black boots for many years too. Nothing wrong with them. But that doesn't make suede boots a bad choice either. They both have advantages and disadvantages.