Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 06, 2016, 07:20:19 PM
Let's hope members don't go crease crazy with it.
Not in a million years would I take that bet.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on May 06, 2016, 07:22:31 PM

"I'm part of the Honor Guard, so my Uniform has to have no openings, pockets, buttons, or non-creased surfaces. My cover should be able to support my weight in case I need to use it as a step stool.".

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 06, 2016, 07:57:35 PM

"I'm part of the Honor Guard, so my Uniform has to have no openings, pockets, buttons, or non-creased surfaces. My cover should be able to support my weight in case I need to use it as a step stool.".

Believe it or not, I know someone that could do that.... He was IL wing too!
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 06, 2016, 07:57:35 PMMy cover should be able to support my weight in case I need to use it as a step stool.".

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/round-uniform-hat-shaper

Sometimes you have to remind cadets that this doesn't stay in the hat when they wear it.

"That Others May Zoom"

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2016, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 06, 2016, 07:57:35 PMMy cover should be able to support my weight in case I need to use it as a step stool.".

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/round-uniform-hat-shaper

Sometimes you have to remind cadets that this doesn't stay in the hat when they wear it.

*facepalm*
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Storm Chaser

"I'm part of the Honor Guard, so my Uniform has to have no openings, pockets, buttons, or non-creased surfaces. My cover hat should be able to support my weight in case I need to use it as a step stool.".

I fixed that for you. After all, we're not the Army Auxiliary. ;)

sarmed1

I wonder if CAP will be able to drop the orange vest requirement for field work.  I do not believe the USAF has found an environment that this uniform will blend in with, thus negating the concern for orange vests when they switched to BDU's.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Damron

Within the limits of my authority, I am going to attempt to herd cats and establish a reasonable timeline for transition.

My primary motivation is to reduce the economic impact of this change and to hold onto a bit of uniformity until we have enough ABU's to outfit at least half our squadron. 

I hope that we will be well into the transition by the end of the year.   In the meantime, I am discouraging cadets from paying retail for new ABU's.  I want to avoid a scenario where only rich kids are early adopters.  CAP shouldn't be an economic burden for parents.  I don't want peer pressure to drive bad financial decisions.   

That said, not much I can do when a cadet shows up on day one with ABU's.   I guess it will just motivate me to source ABU's and accelerate the transition.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 06, 2016, 11:37:08 PM

"I'm part of the Honor Guard, so my Uniform has to have no openings, pockets, buttons, or non-creased surfaces. My cover hat should be able to support my weight in case I need to use it as a step stool.".

I fixed that for you. After all, we're not the Army Marine Corps Auxiliary. ;)

FTFY, too. :)
(Nowhere in AR 670-1 is a "cap" or "hat" referred to as a "cover." Thats not an Army term)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: Damron on May 07, 2016, 02:00:26 PM
Within the limits of my authority, I am going to attempt to herd cats and establish a reasonable timeline for transition.

My primary motivation is to reduce the economic impact of this change and to hold onto a bit of uniformity until we have enough ABU's to outfit at least half our squadron. 

I hope that we will be well into the transition by the end of the year.   In the meantime, I am discouraging cadets from paying retail for new ABU's.  I want to avoid a scenario where only rich kids are early adopters.  CAP shouldn't be an economic burden for parents.  I don't want peer pressure to drive bad financial decisions.   

That said, not much I can do when a cadet shows up on day one with ABU's.   I guess it will just motivate me to source ABU's and accelerate the transition.

News flash:   CAP is an economic burden for parents and has been for years if not decades...  But, it's the parents decision.
After all, they don't have to sign that membership application.  Your job is to be up front with them on the costs before you ask them to sign.

Damron

Quote from: PHall on May 07, 2016, 04:04:05 PM

News flash:   CAP is an economic burden for parents and has been for years if not decades...  But, it's the parents decision.
After all, they don't have to sign that membership application.  Your job is to be up front with them on the costs before you ask them to sign.

I don't need a "news flash", I'm am precisely aware of the financial burden of CAP on parents.  I also feel that it is the responsibility of CAP to minimize that burden.

I am up front with every parent.  I am also making an effort to let parents know of our efforts to reduce the financial burden.  I want parents to make informed decisions.  I want them to know that they don't have to immediately purchase ABU's and associated items.

Until all of our cadets have ABU's, I will wear BDU's.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: PHall on May 07, 2016, 04:04:05 PM

Well, maybe... But I look at it this way:

When you look at the cost of programs other than CAP such as summer camps, youth groups, other after school programs etc., CAP is actually pretty cheap in comparison. A local YMCA summer camp which runs as long as 2 NCSAs goes for almost $700 by the time it's all said and done, per child. Add in after school stuff during the school year, where a similar program at that same YMCA is around 47 per month, and CAP comes close to being on top in the cost category if not well above, and not only that but they are learning leadership, learning aerospace topics, flying, taking once in a lifetime opportunities. Uniforms are a small part of it on the whole. Add in programs to help get those uniforms, and SM's that work hard to help their cadets achieve and this is really an amazing program.

How's THAT for a recruiting spiel. 8) 8) 8) >:D

DakRadz

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: DakRadz on May 07, 2016, 04:34:27 PM
So, since the announcement only says black boots....

http://www.amazon.com/Bates-Inches-Suede-Durashocks-Steel/dp/B00814TZ7G

>:D

I don't know how I feel about those boots.... lol. I've got the Blackhawk BlackOps (only because I've had a pair of the same boots in desert suede for like 10 years now and they are still going) and I love them. Super comfy, and I can still shine them if I want.

PHall

Quote from: DakRadz on May 07, 2016, 04:34:27 PM
So, since the announcement only says black boots....

http://www.amazon.com/Bates-Inches-Suede-Durashocks-Steel/dp/B00814TZ7G

>:D

Well, the 39-1 says you wear black boots with the BDU. So are you saying that you can wear those with the BDU's too? Cool!

Storm Chaser

I just ordered new Rocky S2V black boots. I have them in sage green and they're fantastic. I was holding on the order to see what boot color CAP would finally choose for the ABUs. I still don't know if I'll replace my BDUs with ABUs or BBDUs, but either way I'll be set with these.

abdsp51

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 07, 2016, 09:19:09 PM
I just ordered new Rocky S2V black boots. I have them in sage green and they're fantastic. I was holding on the order to see what boot color CAP would finally choose for the ABUs. I still don't know if I'll replace my BDUs with ABUs or BBDUs, but either way I'll be set with these.

Some of the best boots I had were my magnums, 5.11s and oakleys

PHall

I've got my black Bellevilles and I love'em.

Brit_in_CAP

^This.  Agree wholeheartedly, plus, from your later post:

I don't need a "news flash", I'm am precisely aware of the financial burden of CAP on parents.  I also feel that it is the responsibility of CAP to minimize that burden.  <<Yep!>>

I am up front with every parent.  I am also making an effort to let parents know of our efforts to reduce the financial burden.  I want parents to make informed decisions.  I want them to know that they don't have to immediately purchase ABU's and associated items.  <<Yep!>>

Until all of our cadets have ABU's, I will wear BDU's.   <<Not sure about the last point, though.  I'm certainly looking for at least half the unit to have the new uniforms, properly fitting, before we wear them.>>

etodd

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on May 09, 2016, 12:48:05 PM

^This.  Agree wholeheartedly, plus, from your later post:

I don't need a "news flash", I'm am precisely aware of the financial burden of CAP on parents.  I also feel that it is the responsibility of CAP to minimize that burden.  <<Yep!>>

I am up front with every parent.  I am also making an effort to let parents know of our efforts to reduce the financial burden.  I want parents to make informed decisions.  I want them to know that they don't have to immediately purchase ABU's and associated items.  <<Yep!>>

Until all of our cadets have ABU's, I will wear BDU's.   <<Not sure about the last point, though.  I'm certainly looking for at least half the unit to have the new uniforms, properly fitting, before we wear them.>>

CAP costs for Cadets are 'peanuts' by comparison to most of the other things they get involved with, like football, baseball, taekwondo, cheerleading, band, etc., etc.. I'd bet the average kid spends 10 times CAP costs per year just on video games. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."