Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

NIN

Quote from: grunt82abn on May 05, 2016, 07:50:36 PM
I have a possible fix to get name tapes quickly if the ones wearing the new ABU's want a quick turn around. I have used this place for both my Army civilian job and Air Force civilian job. Fast, and have never had any issues with this company at all.

http://www.militarynames.com/customroyalbluewebbednametapessewon.aspx

http://www.militarynames.com/royalbluewebbednametapeswithvelcro.aspx

Unless your last name is "CIVIL AIR PATROL," thats probably a no-go.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Ned

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 05, 2016, 07:39:38 PM
That said, what happens when a cadet can't afford to buy three sets of BDUs (or soon ABUs), as required by many wing encampments? CAP only gives one set of service uniform (or the voucher to acquire it). And not every squadron can issue BDUs.

(This probably deserves its own thread on managing an active cadet program with cadets with financial challenges.)

But speaking as a multiple former encampment commander, the answer is "we make do."  No cadet should be denied an encampment experience for financial reasons, especially in the Era of CEAP.  I've waived portions of the encampment fee, borrowed uniforms (and looked the other way when the name tape is different than the cadet's last name), and provided extra laundry time.

That's just what I expect experienced CP officers to do.  Make it work for the benefit of the cadet.

Spaceman3750

Doesn't CEAP include uniform assistance?

Quote from: CEAP HomepageThanks to Air Force support, CAP has special funding available to cover encampment fees and uniforms with an emphasis on serving economically disadvantaged cadets.

kwe1009

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 05, 2016, 09:56:43 PM
Doesn't CEAP include uniform assistance?

Quote from: CEAP HomepageThanks to Air Force support, CAP has special funding available to cover encampment fees and uniforms with an emphasis on serving economically disadvantaged cadets.

It could.  A cadet requests either encampment enrollment or uniform assistance or both.  For the cadets that request both, they can get only one, both, or none. 

Ned makes an excellent point by saying "we make do."  We should do what we can to help those cadets who have a financial need.  Borrowing uniforms from cadets who are going to encampment, other squadrons, etc is what good Commanders and CP people do.

NIN

This has been this way since I was a wee c/AB at encampment in 1981 with one set of fatigues,  one set of cutouts,  one set of blues and no nametags

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

GrantHenninger

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 10:16:59 PM
This has been this way since I was a wee c/AB at encampment in 1981 with on set of fatigues,  one set of cutouts,  one set of blues and no nametags

NIN, you attended encampment the year I was born.

NIN

Quote from: GrantHenninger on May 05, 2016, 11:42:48 PM

Whippersnappers.

#GetOffMyLawn

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

AirAux

Thank God we only have 5 years until this mess will be over.  Why have uniforms when you can have people wearing almost any [darn] thing for 5 years??  Oh, the inhumanity.....

SarDragon

Quote from: GrantHenninger on May 05, 2016, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 10:16:59 PM
This has been this way since I was a wee c/AB at encampment in 1981 with on set of fatigues,  one set of cutouts,  one set of blues and no nametags

Yeah, and I attended my first encampment the year Nin was born. 'Tain't no big thang.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on May 06, 2016, 12:16:53 AM
Yeah, and I attended my first encampment the year Nin was born. 'Tain't no big thang.

I'm moving off your lawn, Boss

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Thank God we only have 5 years until this mess will be over.  Why have uniforms when you can have people wearing almost any [darn] thing for 5 years??  Oh, the inhumanity.....

It is always nice to know that most some members think the worst problems facing the organization are the uniforms we wear, and most of those other problems will go away when we fix the uniform issue...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Quote from: Ned on May 05, 2016, 09:28:38 PM
That said, what happens when a cadet can't afford to buy three sets of BDUs (or soon ABUs), as required by many wing encampments? CAP only gives one set of service uniform (or the voucher to acquire it). And not every squadron can issue BDUs.

(This probably deserves its own thread on managing an active cadet program with cadets with financial challenges.)

But speaking as a multiple former encampment commander, the answer is "we make do."  No cadet should be denied an encampment experience for financial reasons, especially in the Era of CEAP.  I've waived portions of the encampment fee, borrowed uniforms (and looked the other way when the name tape is different than the cadet's last name), and provided extra laundry time.

That's just what I expect experienced CP officers to do.  Make it work for the benefit of the cadet.

Ned, our GAWG encampments haven't allowed for laundry for the past several years, and require three sets of BDUs and seven black T shirts, which I have to get our new cadets equipped with. I can't change encampment, nor are our cadets allowed to attend out of GA Wing encampments (unless they're also attending the GA encampment as well), so it is what it is.

V/R
Spam

supertigerCH

[/font][/size]
Quote from: supertigerCH on May 05, 2016, 01:40:02 AM
This is the most professional and sharp looking field-type uniform that you have approved/issued for many years. 
Really? Is that why everyone in the USAF hates them?
[/quote]

Even if this is true... it wouldn't necessarily mean that this still isn't the most professional and sharp looking field-type uniform that CAP has approved in years.  please read comment carefully.  was talking about uniforms as CAP wears them, not the Air Force ABU.

have a great day!!

PHall

Quote from: Spam on May 06, 2016, 02:01:30 AM
Quote from: Ned on May 05, 2016, 09:28:38 PM

Ned, our GAWG encampments haven't allowed for laundry for the past several years, and require three sets of BDUs and seven black T shirts, which I have to get our new cadets equipped with. I can't change encampment, nor are our cadets allowed to attend out of GA Wing encampments (unless they're also attending the GA encampment as well), so it is what it is.

V/R
Spam

No laundry, how bizarre and smelly... :o  Is it a time problem or a facility problem?

Spam

More of a time MANAGEMENT problem, I suspect. I never got an answer when I asked, as DCP.

I ran an encampment back in the day where we did laundry regularly throughout the week with no "logistics flight" as seems popular today (also no full time squad of cadet PAOs taking pics of their pals). I don't know why we don't do laundry any more and require more money up front for uniforms from all.

V/R
Spam

PHall

At the CAWG Encampment we do laundry. It's a flight activity and part of the time management problem for the Flight Cadre.
The day we do the O-Course is usually laundry day since most of the students only have two sets of BDU's and one set just got very dirty on the O-Course.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: PHall on May 06, 2016, 04:43:51 AM
At the CAWG Encampment we do laundry. It's a flight activity and part of the time management problem for the Flight Cadre.
The day we do the O-Course is usually laundry day since most of the students only have two sets of BDU's and one set just got very dirty on the O-Course.

Yeah from memory, VAWG, MSWG, and INWG it seems laundry is a standard.

I for one am glad they are making the move, even though I bought new uniforms before all the announcements on plans of the ABU were made shortly after I bought them. I'll probably have some soon after they go live. Also not too concerned about the 'no beret' thing. Don't get me wrong I love to wear mine but a fancy hat doesn't make the officer, or cadet any better.

I had a lot of questions last night from my cadet group about the memorandum though. Such as, "are we switching tapes and devices out on the BDUs to the dark blue as well, or do they stay ultra-marine blue?", "Do we still have to polish our black boots?", etc. Most of our seniors are more in the "I'll just wear the polo and grey slacks" mode, so being one of 3 seniors that actually wear the uniform means having all the answers even when you don't have all the answers! lol
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

KASSRCrashResearch

QuoteMost of our seniors are more in the "I'll just wear the polo and grey slacks" mode, so being one of 3 seniors that actually wear the uniform means having all the answers even when you don't have all the answers!

Yeah, the polo and grey slacks uniform to me doesn't do it for me.  Not that I particularly like wearing BDUs or ABUs (never actually worn the latter yet...just extrapolating) but for an operational standpoint, they make more sense.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Tim Day

Quote from: Spam on May 06, 2016, 02:01:30 AM
...nor are our cadets allowed to attend out of GA Wing encampments (unless they're also attending the GA encampment as well...
V/R
Spam
Why not?
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Storm Chaser

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on May 06, 2016, 12:30:37 PM
QuoteMost of our seniors are more in the "I'll just wear the polo and grey slacks" mode, so being one of 3 seniors that actually wear the uniform means having all the answers even when you don't have all the answers!

Yeah, the polo and grey slacks uniform to me doesn't do it for me.  Not that I particularly like wearing BDUs or ABUs (never actually worn the latter yet...just extrapolating) but for an operational standpoint, they make more sense.

That depends on your definition of "operational". For ground operations, especially in a wilderness environment, a field utility uniform (BDU, BBDU, ABU) is needed for obvious reasons. The CAP corporate working uniform (AKA polo with gray pants) makes sense operationally for those working in the ICP, EOC, and with other agencies.