Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

LSThiker

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 05, 2016, 02:39:40 PM
All you are required to have is 3 grade insignia, name and branch tapes. Nothing else HAS to be on the uniform. Wing patches are (now everywhere?) optional. NCSA/Squadron? Optional. Badges? Optional.

Wing Patches are optional at the Wing CC's discretion.

Some badges are optional while others are not (e.g. aviation and chaplain). 

Simple Jack

Now all we need is sage green boots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NIN

Quote from: winterg on May 05, 2016, 02:44:06 PM
Yes.  I realize it is optional. We all  do. But given the option, some will always wear the maximum allowed, not the minimum.  My opinion is that the overall appearance of our field uniform, as an organization, would have been better served if this major uniform change was used to go in a more minimalist direction.  Again, I know what I am allowed to leave off my uniform.  No need to keep pointing it out.  LoL

yeah, there are some people who want to watch the world bling.

:)

BTW, this is a salient point (not necessarily for the BDU/ABU discussion, but uniforms in general):

At one time, this was part of the overarching uniform concept or philosophy:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, 1997
1-1. Basic Concept of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) Uniform.
[...]
b. The basic concept of the CAP uniform is a plain, but distinctive, dress with a minimum number of badges,
insignia, and devices authorized for wear on it
[...]
Emphasis mine.

CAP's guidance reflected similar language found in the USAF uniform directives of the time (and, I believe, even dating back to my time as a cadet in the early 1980s, but I don't have those manuals easily at hand).

It seems that in subsequent CAP uniform manuals, that concept of "minimum number of badges, insignia and devices" has "gone missing."

I'm not sure exactly when our philosophy changed, or when the underlying AFMAN/AFI changed, as well, but I do know that the current AFI 36-2903 reflects a slightly different philosophy. The USAF has even gotten away from a "minimum number of geegaws" and has now specified a maximum as well.

The USAF's overarching philosophy seems to have pivoted to a  "Plain, but with bling-bling" ethos.

Quote from: AFI 36-2903, 2014
1.1. Basic Philosophy and Enforceability.

1.1.1. The Air Force philosophy is that the uniform will be plain, distinctive, and standardized. This standardization includes a minimum and maximum number of authorized badges, insignia, and devices.
[...]
Emphasis mine.

At the same time, our guidance specifically indicates that our wear patterns (independent of CAP-distinctive insignia and wear) for the USAF-style should align with the overarching USAF guidance.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, 2014
1.1. Basic Philosophy and Enforceability.

1.1.1 Philosophy.

1.1.1.1. CAP's philosophy is to provide a distinctive and standard set of uniform items that provide a positive public image of the Corporation, build esprit de corps, and enhance professionalism.

1.1.1.2. A significant representation of CAP's organizational heritage, as well as CAP's unique affiliation as the Auxiliary of the US Air Force (USAF), is the authorization for CAP members to wear CAP distinctive uniforms as well as uniforms similar to the US Air Force. CAP uses distinctive emblems, insignia, and badges to identify individuals wearing the USAF-style uniforms as CAP members.

1.1.1.2.1. CAP's USAF-style uniform policies will adhere to USAF standards found in the appropriate USAF instructions. Differences from USAF standards will be only those differences required to meet unique CAP requirements and allowed by USAF-approved exceptions. CAP honors our special relationship with the USAF through closely adhering to the policies set for the USAF's uniform.
[...]
Again, emphasis mine.

Our manual specifically suggests that apart from the CAP-distinctiveness (ie. insignia, badges, grade, etc), the standards, to include the wear philosophy, should be taken from the USAF directives.

Now, here's the hard part: the USAF has, with ABUs, specifically gotten away from the high degree of "multi-patched clown suit" that the BDUs were at the end of their tenure with them (I think anybody who was in the USAF at the end of the BDU era would agree.. Sq Patch, wing patch, badges, something over the nametag maybe, etc).

Unfortunately, our utility uniform wear pattern has kind of continued and even gotten a little more beyond the old USAF BDU wear pattern, because individually discerning the overarching wear philosophy of the USAF is very subjective.  We've gotten into a sort of "merit-badge culture" with our uniforms.  And for now, that's extended into the ABUs.

The discussions of why are best left for another time, but suffice to say, I think we can agree that once you open the door to a badge, patch, device, etc, its very, very hard to close that door later.  For a variety of reasons that aren't specific to actually wearing the uniform.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: youduho on May 05, 2016, 02:58:46 PM
Now all we need is sage green boots

Give it time.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Simple Jack

True

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Nickvr628

I don't know how to feel about this. It is already bad enough when cadets show up to events or meetings in Blue BDUs sticking out like a sore thumb. Now we have to deal with cadets showing up in 3 different uniforms? How will it look at all the encampments for the next 5 years when a quarter or a half of the cadets have the new uniforms and the rest are still in BDUs? It will look silly and unprofessional to everyone involved.

The worst part for me is the fact the the cutoff date is FIVE years from now? Any cadet over 13 can say, "Forget it, I will be out of the program in 5 years, no need to buy a new uniform". The cadet will spend the rest of his career is BDUs. So for the next FIVE years we will have mixed uniform events. They really need to shorten it. If they are as confident as they sound about getting the shipments of free uniforms out to cadets, then there should be no need to have the transitional period take longer than 18 months.

I think the majority of cadets that will be wearing the new uniform right as it starts to roll out are brand new cadets that join after the transitional period starts. I iwll probably get the new uniform just because I am the CC at my squadron and I need to set the example, but how hard am I expected to push the new uniform? I either want no ABUs in my squadron or all ABUs. I would go crazy if we are split in uniforms, because it looks stupid having all these different cadet uniforms that cadets can show up in.

TL;DR

Mixed flights with both ABUs and BDUs will look dumb and unprofessional.
Having a 5 year transitional period is too long, 18 months should be fine to reduce mixed flights.
Change is bad :)

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Nickvr628 on May 05, 2016, 03:26:38 PM
I don't know how to feel about this. It is already bad enough when cadets show up to events or meetings in Blue BDUs sticking out like a sore thumb. Now we have to deal with cadets showing up in 3 different uniforms? How will it look at all the encampments for the next 5 years when a quarter or a half of the cadets have the new uniforms and the rest are still in BDUs? It will look silly and unprofessional to everyone involved.

The worst part for me is the fact the the cutoff date is FIVE years from now? Any cadet over 13 can say, "Forget it, I will be out of the program in 5 years, no need to buy a new uniform". The cadet will spend the rest of his career is BDUs. So for the next FIVE years we will have mixed uniform events. They really need to shorten it. If they are as confident as they sound about getting the shipments of free uniforms out to cadets, then there should be no need to have the transitional period take longer than 18 months.

I think the majority of cadets that will be wearing the new uniform right as it starts to roll out are brand new cadets that join after the transitional period starts. I iwll probably get the new uniform just because I am the CC at my squadron and I need to set the example, but how hard am I expected to push the new uniform? I either want no ABUs in my squadron or all ABUs. I would go crazy if we are split in uniforms, because it looks stupid having all these different cadet uniforms that cadets can show up in.

TL;DR

Having a 5 year transitional period is too long, 18 months should be fine to reduce mixed flights.

1. BBDUs are only authorized for cadets over 18 who don't meet H/W or grooming I believe, so it's pretty unlikely that you should have a cadet who is legitimately wearing BBDUs. And even then, they're already different than those wearing BDUs, so I fail to see how THEY are the problem in the ABU transition. In fact, it would be pretty easy for someone to take offense at your comment - "If it weren't for those fatties sticking out like a sore thumb, we would have a cohesive unit!"
2. The supply chain on surplus ABUs is opening from AAFES. As soon as a unit gets access to it, the commander can supply everyone ABUs and say "OK, the new UOD is ABUs". I suppose tapes and sewing would be an issue but really that's a lot less of an issue than buying new ABUs.

This is not the doom you are looking for. We will live. It is time.

Майор Хаткевич

Cadets over 18, who are outside of H&W still need to maintain grooming.

cnitas

Judging from the transition from Fatigues to BDU, the effective rate of ABU adoption will be about 18 months, as you want.  I predict that In 2 years, BDUs will be rare in most places, and in 3 almost forgotten.   When the phase-in periods ends, it will be with a wimper and everyone will have been in ABU for some time.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

arajca

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 05, 2016, 03:36:04 PM

TL;DR

1. BBDUs are only authorized for cadets over 18 who don't meet H/W or grooming I believe, so it's pretty unlikely that you should have a cadet who is legitimately wearing BBDUs. And even then, they're already different than those wearing BDUs, so I fail to see how THEY are the problem in the ABU transition. In fact, it would be pretty easy for someone to take offense at your comment - "If it weren't for those fatties sticking out like a sore thumb, we would have a cohesive unit!"
2. The supply chain on surplus ABUs is opening from AAFES. As soon as a unit gets access to it, the commander can supply everyone ABUs and say "OK, the new UOD is ABUs". I suppose tapes and sewing would be an issue but really that's a lot less of an issue than buying new ABUs.

This is not the doom you are looking for. We will live. It is time.
As a wing LG, I have not ANYTHING from national regarding how the supply chain from AAFES is supposed to work. I am waiting for the deluge of emails and phone calls about how to get the free ABUs to start rolling in when the vast membership gets wind of it. My plan is to have them call National.

NIN

As I've stated previously, we went thru this in 1991 when BDUs were authorized.

The switchover was substantially immediate or what seemed to be pretty close to it.

We had an encampment coming up (an encampment that was also our first encampment not at our usual facility in near 20 years, just to add that wrinkle into the mix) and people were like "OMG! ANARCHY! DOGS AND CATS! LIVING TOGETHER! MASS HYSTERIA!" 

I can't find a single photo from that encampment showing everybody in formation, but my (somewhat jaded/faded) recollection of that time was that something like 98% of the encampment showed up in BDUs. It was like the BDU fairy waved her wand over the encampment. *poof* "Here you go.  Chaos averted."

But even people who showed up in fatigues it was like "Meh, no big deal."   Somefolks who were wrapped around the axle about things like "Inspection Standards" had their undies in a wad for awhile about it. 

Actual conversation:
Officer: "There are less things to inspect on this uniform than fatigues. I mean, we can't even tell if someone's gigline is straight in BDUs!  The entire encampment will fall into disarray due to missing giglines!  And buttons! Oh god, buttons!"   
Me: (the encampment Training Officer) "Oh, less things to inspect? That means you'll have the daily uniform inspections done quicker. Awesome. I'll block out less time for that, then." 

Ever see someone's head explode?

QuoteThe worst part for me is the fact the the cutoff date is FIVE years from now? Any cadet over 13 can say, "Forget it, I will be out of the program in 5 years, no need to buy a new uniform". The cadet will spend the rest of his career is BDUs. So for the next FIVE years we will have mixed uniform events. They really need to shorten it. If they are as confident as they sound about getting the shipments of free uniforms out to cadets, then there should be no need to have the transitional period take longer than 18 months.

There are more reasons to extend that transitional period than just the availability of the actual ABUs to the field.

When transitioning to different uniform insignia items, there are aspects of our arrangements with Vanguard that ensure that Vanguard gets compensated for unsold obsolete uniform insignia by CAP. So if we made a change and said "OK, in 18 months, ABUs for all. Dark blue name tags for all! Dark blue insignia for all!"  CAP would "buy back" from Vanguard remaining stocks of ultramarine insignia. At least, at this rate, they will still continue to sell down any remaining "BDU only" insignia and either run out of, or only have to produce very small numbers of, replacement ultramarine insignia before the mandatory transition.

Some people will continue to buy (now) and wear (later) ultramarine right up to the transition dates, and that will allow the existing stocks to be pared down to a minimal level.

It will also give people the opportunity to "wear out" uniforms that are only worn 2-3 times a month, not daily for 52 weeks a year, and replace with "the new hotness" when its more economically feasible.  I don't know about you, but my BDUs last a nice long time because I baby them, and only wear them for 5-7 hours a month.  Will I switch right away? Sure. I have ABUs in my closet, I'll be ready to rock right around June 20th :)  Will I still wear my BDUs? Probably. They're in good shape and I don't need to DX those right away, so as long as they're authorized, I'll probably wear them. Or, maybe, give them to unit supply so some cadet in my size can get a set of uniforms. Either way.

QuoteI think the majority of cadets that will be wearing the new uniform right as it starts to roll out are brand new cadets that join after the transitional period starts. I iwll probably get the new uniform just because I am the CC at my squadron and I need to set the example, but how hard am I expected to push the new uniform? I either want no ABUs in my squadron or all ABUs. I would go crazy if we are split in uniforms, because it looks stupid having all these different cadet uniforms that cadets can show up in.

Why?? Why does it "look stupid?"

The military has been switching uniforms more and more since the start of the GWOT (and even before when the Marines jumped on the "We gotta be different!" bandwagon).  They have phase in periods that are more aligned with the potential service life of the uniform (and things like uniform allowances, etc) because those uniforms get worn everyday.  And really, nobody looked at a mixed formation of Marines in BDUs and MARPATs and said "Holy cow, what a bunch of unprofessional looking louts."

But if having a cadet in ABUs standing next to a cadet in BDUs causes you that much cognitive dissonance, maybe its time for a "stupid filter realignment" or something.

<snip>

Welcome to the real world.

But here's a TL;DR that you can get behind, based on historical precedent: chances are 90+% of your unit will be wearing the new uniform by the end of 2016.  And by around the middle of 2018, you'll hardly see BDUs anywhere but the "You'll pry my BDUs from my cold, dead fingers!" crowd. 

We can come back here in 2 years and see if I'm wrong.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: cnitas on May 05, 2016, 03:42:27 PM
Judging from the transition from Fatigues to BDU, the effective rate of ABU adoption will be about 18 months, as you want.  I predict that In 2 years, BDUs will be rare in most places, and in 3 almost forgotten.   When the phase-in periods ends, it will be with a wimper and everyone will have been in ABU for some time.

Mark: you beat me to it!  :)

I only wore my OG-107 jungle fatigues right up to the last minute, just cuz I wanted to be that cool one last time :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 05, 2016, 03:37:34 PM

Incorrect, but great try.

You can have a cadet, under or over 18, with a religious accommodation for grooming, who wears grey/white and BBDUs.

But thats not the point of this thread.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

GrantHenninger

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 03:59:42 PM

I only wore my OG-107 jungle fatigues right up to the last minute, just cuz I wanted to be that cool one last time :)
I expect that this will be the case. I imagine a day five years from now when all of the cadet officers are still wearing their BDUs as a mark of how long they've been in the program. It's like a red service ribbon you can see from a mile away.

NIN

Quote from: GrantHenninger on May 05, 2016, 04:31:02 PM
I expect that this will be the case. I imagine a day five years from now when all of the cadet officers are still wearing their BDUs as a mark of how long they've been in the program. It's like a red service ribbon you can see from a mile away.

Oh, sure, it will happen. Especially in the cadet ranks. (no offense to cadets, its just how teenagers are built)

there will be those holdouts. My late 2018 they will be in the minority, I suspect.

Heck, back in 1992 at Summer Encampment I stood in the Clothing Sales Store at Wurtsmith AFB while the encampment commander, holding up a BDU shirt, said "You won't catch me dead in this uniform. EVER."

He's a wing commander now. I know he has at least one set of BDUs. :)

It happens. Things change.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

Well...that's easy to fix.   Because local commanders can move up the required by date.  It is within their authority.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 05, 2016, 05:04:56 PM
Well...that's easy to fix.   Because local commanders can move up the required by date.  It is within their authority.

Not unless you're buying them for the cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 04:07:12 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 05, 2016, 03:37:34 PM

Incorrect, but great try.

You can have a cadet, under or over 18, with a religious accommodation for grooming, who wears grey/white and BBDUs.

But thats not the point of this thread.

Those are literally the exceptions to the rule. My statement is correct.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2016, 05:17:38 PM

Not unless you're buying them for the cadets.
Sure.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

I see no delegation of authority in that document to local commanders to override the National Commander's directed wear-out date of 2021.