Main Menu

ABUs

Started by lordmonar, May 05, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

JC004

Quote from: Damron on November 21, 2016, 05:16:44 PM
Quote from: JC004 on November 21, 2016, 05:09:58 PM

The Woodland GoreTex, a uniform item the Air Force still wishes to control, qualifies as a commercial design?  I'm not sure the Air Force would agree with that either.  And attaching grade insignia?  Big no-no.  If the Air Force wanted CAP wearing military-distinctive items with the Blueberry Suit, that would be included.

When you said you would like to see a different parka authorized for the BBDU, I didn't think you were referring to any uniform items.

I'm sorry.  I thought it was self-evident, since random parkas are already authorized. 

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2016, 05:16:59 PM
Is grade really that important?

Something like this:

Is a much better choice for CAP across the board then camo or dark blue.

I wonder when that message is ever going to get across - we're not hiding.

Why authorize specifically it if only a few people on a mission would be wearing it, at most?  That's why we have the vests that are reflective and shiny.  The blue M-65 is AWFUL.  Cotton kills.  Let these people wear something that won't make them freeze in winter.  That's why the military switched to a sensible layering system.  The police out there searching with us are wearing blue or brown with vests.  The state parks people out there are wearing green and probably vests.

Eclipse

Well they already can switch to something else - anything.

But if you're going to make a reg-based prescription, it should if the mission, not just be worried about a rank tab.

The only dark blue gortex I've ever seen is a Coast Guard one that is around $350 retail - not something the
average member who can wear literally anything else is going to be interested in, and to make it better they
are hard to come by and even more difficult to find in the sizes many people wearing the CFU would need.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

We have a new uniform that blends in with nothing.  ABUs.  Vests are required.  Our attempt (CAWG's) at a mission uniform didn't work out.  Wearing the uniform is a key part of the cadet program, and a lot of our GTMs are cadets. 

I don't support blue for the reason you mention.  I support black, which are about $100 -- a good price for a Gore-Tex jacket.  I have a civilian coat that cost much more than that.  Black is also worn by those wearing the fleece or the leather jacket. 

There isn't a truly stand-out excellent solution here. 

I always consider burden on membership, in everything.  That's local operating procedures, large activity requirements, training, paperwork, costs, everything.  Lots of people in charge do not.  U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes, anyone?

I even have a plan to offer DIRT-CHEAP basic supplies for GTMs and UDFT Members.  The kits I'm developing are quality, but because we buy in bulk and nullify shipping, plus the need, for example, to but a WHOLE BOX of Band-Aids, we kick the hell out of the start-up cost.  As another example, I'd be getting their triangular bandages for 50 cents.  I think that I had to spend $3+ at the drug store.  Same for quality pens at a dirt cheap price (with an option to get a Space Pen cheaper than you can buy from a retailer or Space Pen online).  If we buy enough, I may offer a limited number of kits here for members (first aid kit, map kit, survival kit, etc.).  The money could help fund my squadron's ground team training, or cadets who have financial difficulty.

UWONGO2

Quote from: JC004 on November 21, 2016, 06:28:24 PM
We have a new uniform that blends in with nothing.  ABUs.  Vests are required.  Our attempt (CAWG's) at a mission uniform didn't work out.  Wearing the uniform is a key part of the cadet program, and a lot of our GTMs are cadets.

My wing also went with a mission uniform and so far it's been very successful. Granted we don't treat the ground team as a cadet activity (I think there are two, maybe three cadets out of 40 people on the team), but the uniform of the blue BDU pants and a horrifically bright orange shirt with reflective stripes matches what the other SAR teams in the state wear. I think the guys on the space station spotted the team once.

Wearing the uniform is certainly a key component to the cadet program overall, but it's not a key component to a cadet working on a ground team. The mission is the key component for both seniors and cadets alike.

Eclipse

I would love to see the supp for that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

While we can ponder a myriad of uniform possibilities, some things just work out.

This summer at NESA I was reminded how a $2 piece of gear, the orange reflective vest, and the black NESA cap unified a collection of members wearing no less than three uniforms.   Despite what was being worn underneath, ground teams looked surprisingly uniform.

That said, given the heat of an Indiana summer, a long-sleeved orange reflective shirt is a sensible ground team option.  Black t-shirt, BDU blouse, and orange vest are two layers too many when it's 100 degrees. 

I've thought of wearing a BDU battle shirt at NESA just to see if anybody notices, or cares.  With a vest on, it looks like BDU sleeves. 

Damron

I Scotchguard my M-65 every year and it does pretty well in the rain.  It's not Goretex but a couple of bucks certainly improves it.