Found the Target With the sUAS ... Now What?

Started by etodd, April 21, 2019, 02:25:36 AM

etodd

Folks discussing an interesting scenario today.  So you've been searching an area for a missing person, plane, or whatever, and you see it on the live feed. But its a couple thousand feet away in a rocky, hard to reach, hilly area. You can see the drone off in the distance hovering, but with all the hills and trees, its hard to pinpoint the location from your position.

The problem?  The DJI Go app we are using records the GPS coordinates in the exif of images, but the current position of the drone is not displayed on the screen. Mission Base is asking for coordinates for the ground team.

Well there are a couple solutions. Take a photo, save it to the device, safely hover in a spot, then quickly open a exif reader on the tablet, and get the coords.

Better method: Hover the drone safely near the target. Click the DJI logo top left to go to the homescreen. Click the 3 lines top right to open menu, Click FIND MY DRONE. Map opens Click the red arrow and coordinates box pops up. Have the Technician take a cell phone photo of the screen so you can quickly get back to flying the drone. The Technician can then text the photo of the lat/long to Mission Base. Note .... this is not something one would do often. Its just when you would actually find a target needing expedient help.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

How are you far enough away from the device that you can't dead reckon?

In most cases, reasonable line of sight is going to put you inside the +/-5 degrees
CAP operates in, and yo already know your own location.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 21, 2019, 02:51:28 AM
How are you far enough away from the device that you can't dead reckon?

In most cases, reasonable line of sight is going to put you inside the +/-5 degrees
CAP operates in, and yo already know your own location.

C'mon Eclipse.

It was a theoretical scenario, with the goal here to inform sUAS Mission Pilots of a work-around to showing coordinates.  I tried to mention that is was a crazy scenario whereby dead reckoning may not be the best solution. Where the ground team might not be able to bee line it, but might have to go the long way around, so coordinates might be nice to have.

Those who are working in this realm will appreciate the info, if they hadn't already figured it out.  Those who are not interested, probably are not reading this thread or even this forum.

Also .... my P4P will easily go 2-3 miles out. As long as we have Visual Observers staged at intervals, its easy to see how we may need those coordinates. :)

Eclipse

"Visual Observers?"  Does CAP have a waiver, because if not, my understanding is it is operator line of sight,
not "visual observers".

The only situation I'm aware of where a "visual observer" is used is when the operator is FPS, and then
it's required, otherwise, operators LOS only.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 21, 2019, 03:05:25 AM
"Visual Observers?"

Join the Program and learn all about it. Would be so much easier than being a sideline critic. As I've said here many times, I'm here for those interested in the sUAS Program.  :)

Eclipse

Or, wait until there >is< a program, not spout rumor and drafts, and especially
not encourage people to break FAA regs based on some vaporware from NHQ.

Only in CAP would you find one department preparing for an armageddon where
the only way to communicate in a disaster is via morse code, while another department
espouses using the cloud.

I can't wait until the next SARex, I'm going to tell everyone I'm a Space Shuttle Door Gunner.
It's not on my 101 card because it's a "draft program", but let's not wait - let's just start launching
those sorties!

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 21, 2019, 03:44:51 AM

I can't wait until the next SARex, I'm going to tell everyone I'm a Space Shuttle Door Gunner.
It's not on my 101 card because it's a "draft program", but let's not wait - let's just start launching
those sorties!

You tickle me. Without your jabs, it wouldn't be fun here.  ;D ;D ;D

lordmonar

Quote from: etodd on April 21, 2019, 03:12:43 AM
"Visual Observers?"

Join the Program and learn all about it. Would be so much easier than being a sideline critic. As I've said here many times, I'm here for those interested in the sUAS Program.  :)

If you don't want sideline critics.....then CAP TALK is not the place for you.

As a non SUAS guy.....I too thought the operator had to have visual line of site with the drone at all times.

A better solution may be to contact the manufactures of the drone tell them of your need to have the coordinates of the drone displayed on the screen and see if they can't send you firmware upgraded.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

etodd

Quote from: lordmonar on April 21, 2019, 04:12:01 AM

If you don't want sideline critics.....then CAP TALK is not the place for you.

See my later comment to Eclipse. I get a kick out of him.

Look at the main page for this forum and the view counts for the threads. While there are maybe a half dozen jumping on me, there seems to be hundreds viewing. I think for every critic, there are a hundred or more interested parties. Its all good. :)

Spam

"Visual Observers?"

Or, you could simply answer the question rather than issue the snarky "Join the Program" rejoinder?

Before your swelled head gets you deeper into this, with your self important citing of view counts of your threads:

Some of us do not respond well to your "you have to pass the legislation to be able to read it" attitude. I will not authorize CAP SUAS use beyond rules in an approved pub, with an approved, legal reviewed document trail. Also, before you label me/us "dinosaurs", it is because... we believe in doing operations by the book, because the consequences of doing otherwise (in CAP, as in other aerospace) has all too often been demonstrated to be painful and/or fatal.

Any mods listening to this?

V/r
Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on April 21, 2019, 04:29:23 AM

I will not authorize CAP SUAS use beyond rules in an approved pub, with an approved, legal reviewed document trail. Also, before you label me/us "dinosaurs", it is because... we believe in doing operations by the book, because the consequences of doing otherwise (in CAP, as in other aerospace) has all too often been demonstrated to be painful and/or fatal.

I thought the GAWG was already deep into the program. Is your Wing DOU not talking to you folks yet?

CAP9907

Quote from: Spam on April 21, 2019, 04:29:23 AM
"Visual Observers?"

Any mods listening to this?

V/r
Spam

I am
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Spam

Deflection.
Appeal to your authority (without having approved pubs).
Stop this, please.

V/r
Spam

sardak

"Visual Observers?"  Does CAP have a waiver, because if not, my understanding is it is operator line of sight,
not "visual observers".

The only situation I'm aware of where a "visual observer" is used is when the operator is FPS, and then
Before this thread gets locked like the others, let's get one thing clear, Eclipse's understanding is incorrect.  The use of visual observers to maintain visual line of sight is perfectly legal under part 107.  The waiver is to deviate from the rules and regs, i.e. fly without visual observers, section 107.33.  See this page: https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/part_107_waivers/

As for my opinion of the sUAS program at this point, I expressed it in some PMs, and it isn't positive.

Mike (FAA Remote Pilot Certificate holder)

CAP9907

Quote from: sardak on April 21, 2019, 05:56:09 AM
not "visual observers".

Before this thread gets locked like the others,

I for one have no intention to do this, but folks are gonna have to stand by their statements and withstand the replies to their posts. In other words: if someone puts it out there, be ready to accept the replies, good and bad while being respectful.

~9907
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on April 21, 2019, 06:25:35 AM
Quote from: sardak on April 21, 2019, 05:56:09 AM
not "visual observers".

Before this thread gets locked like the others,

I for one have no intention to do this, but folks are gonna have to stand by their statements and withstand the replies to their posts. In other words: if someone puts it out there, be ready to accept the replies, good and bad while being respectful.

~9907

You are correct. I simply posted a couple solutions for a gps issue, and should have stopped at that point. Information disseminated, done deal. I let myself be baited and sidetracked. I'll try to resist the comebacks. The original post was all that was needed from me. 😀

etodd

Someone sent me a PM, and I really do appreciate the info. Apparently there are some Wing's DOU, that are evidently keeping this very close to the vest, since the first customer is the AF and yes, some OPSEC things apply in that narrow scenario. I didn't realize there were DOu's in other Wings thinking that narrow. The head of the program, Lt Col Worcester at Hdqs, gave a great presentation at our Wing Conference recently and while yes, did talk of the Counter sUAS Program, he also emphasized FEMA and other customers, and the need to ramp up training now.

At any rate, this helps me understand the response we are getting from folks in those Wings who are holding back, as being different from Wings like mine that are ramping up as we are being instructed to, in the manner prescribed, with documents provided by Hdqs.

Again, thanks for letting me know. Helps me understand. It'll all come out in the wash. It's all good. 😀