Cadet to SM processing times

Started by airbatic, August 20, 2018, 09:59:36 PM

airbatic

Does anyone have recent experience with senior cadets aging up to senior membership? A former Spaatz cadet I know made the transition in early July. It seems like it's taking a really long time to get his promotion processed and PD record updated. Is this common? Does anybody know what might cause the delay?

If this is common, I'll bet it's part of the reason we don't see more cadets turn senior.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: airbatic on August 20, 2018, 09:59:36 PM
Does anyone have recent experience with senior cadets aging up to senior membership? A former Spaatz cadet I know made the transition in early July. It seems like it's taking a really long time to get his promotion processed and PD record updated. Is this common? Does anybody know what might cause the delay?

Is this a "hearsay" thing that it's being dragged out, or do you know this to be fact? Did he submit all of his paperwork and fingerprints in a timely fashion?

I don't think there's really a 'time' to expect it to take. I've seen it take a week to process when a cadet of mine turned senior. But I know sometimes paper transitions can take a while.

QuoteIf this is common, I'll bet it's part of the reason we don't see more cadets turn senior.

I would bet that hasn't crossed anyone's mind: "The process takes too long, so I'm not going to transition over."

If anything, it's "I don't know if I want to be a senior."

On a side note, don't consider it to be a 'promotion.' It's a transition of membership. You can't promote from cadet to senior. Just like NCOs who go through an officer candidate school don't promote to become officers; they go through a training program that commissions them.

Eclipse

Is this former cadet through the BGC, etc., and showing as a senior member on the roster?
His CPPT & OPSEC etc., etc., is update, entered and showing properly that he has LI completed?  (Seen it not happen.)
He's exempt from Foundations, but not the rest.

Assuming the above, how / where was the request for promotion based on Spaatz sent?

The promotion is not automatic, nor should it be assumed, and still has to go hard-copy through the
chain to at least Group and then NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2018, 10:18:06 PM
The promotion is not automatic, nor should it be assumed, and still has to go hard-copy through the
chain to at least Group and then NHQ.

To add onto that...

There are cases in which a person may qualify to be promoted automatically on transfer of membership (e.g., to Capt), but that's not an automatic thing that occurs. Some commanders may withhold someone from that promotion due to their comfort of the individual's readiness. So prior grade does not automatically equal next higher. The same applies for JROTC cadets who may be promoted at an accelerated rate, but commanders aren't required to approve them until they feel the cadet has earned it. Seniors are the same.

Processing is as processing is. It can take a while in some cases. As Eclipse said, you may face a situation where the person was put into the system, but they have yet to complete the required online training (fairly common).

Just be careful on assumptions of what's going on behind the scenes. Sometimes people pull the "This is ridiculous, how long this takes!" when perhaps they were previously told "You need to do this, and you haven't done it yet."

I get the curiosity, but be cautious in addressing issues others are having. They can address it themselves if they have a problem.

airbatic

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 20, 2018, 10:12:18 PM

Is this a "hearsay" thing that it's being dragged out, or do you know this to be fact? Did he submit all of his paperwork and fingerprints in a timely fashion?

I don't think there's really a 'time' to expect it to take. I've seen it take a week to process when a cadet of mine turned senior. But I know sometimes paper transitions can take a while.

I know the guy really well, so it isn't hearsay. His membership application was processed quickly with no issues. As a Spaatz Award recipient, he is eligible for Captain, Level II, Yeager Award, COBC, SLS, and senior rating in CP specialty track. That's the stuff that's taking a while.

jeders

Quote from: airbatic on August 20, 2018, 10:28:59 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 20, 2018, 10:12:18 PM

I know the guy really well, so it isn't hearsay. His membership application was processed quickly with no issues. As a Spaatz Award recipient, he is eligible for Captain, Level II, Yeager Award, COBC, SLS, and senior rating in CP specialty track. That's the stuff that's taking a while.

Has any of it actually been submitted properly? I've seen multiple occasions where neither the cadet nor the senior leadership actually knows how to process this stuff; combine that with the assumption that it's all automatic and you have people waiting a very long time.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Yes eligible.  It has to be submitted and processed, and in this case it's paper, not eservices.

"That Others May Zoom"

airbatic

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2018, 10:33:51 PM
Yes eligible.  It has to be submitted and processed, and in this case it's paper, not eservices.

As far as I know, the CAPF2 was submitted and approved by his unit and wing commander and his unit commander sent the written request for his PD record to be updated to NHQ PD. Perhaps  TheSkyHornet got it right...
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 20, 2018, 10:24:03 PM

Processing is as processing is.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: airbatic on August 20, 2018, 10:40:49 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2018, 10:33:51 PM

As far as I know, the CAPF2 was submitted and approved by his unit and wing commander and his unit commander sent the written request for his PD record to be updated to NHQ PD. Perhaps  TheSkyHornet got it right...
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 20, 2018, 10:24:03 PM

Processing is as processing is.

That's the waiting game there.

So consider that he transitioned in July, and here we are in August tracking down a paper form that was sent out sometime over the last couple of weeks. It's not like this has been 6 months.

Give them a chance to make the process. The unit Commander and Personnel Officer can inquire if they have concerns. But I wouldn't worry about it much at this point.

This is kind of one of those "it is what it is" type deals. Several months, while slow, is still better than federal government speed. Appreciate that.

Eclipse

If it was actually approved and submitted to NHQ, it should have been almost immediate.

It's possible it's in an actual envelope somewhere waiting for the Wing Finance committee to
approve the expenditure of the stamps.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

First things first, has this former cadet shown up on the membership roster as a Senior Member yet?
That has to happen first before anything else can happen.
So if there was a problem with the fingerprint card or whatever, it has to be resolved first.
Only after they show up as a senior member can you submit the Form 2 for their promotion.

airbatic

Quote from: PHall on August 20, 2018, 11:36:02 PM
First things first, has this former cadet shown up on the membership roster as a Senior Member yet?
That has to happen first before anything else can happen.
So if there was a problem with the fingerprint card or whatever, it has to be resolved first.
Only after they show up as a senior member can you submit the Form 2 for their promotion.

Yes, they show up on SM roster, CPPT, EO, Lvl1, OPSEC, etc. have all been completed

Eclipse

Wait, AKWG?

In July?  Probably have to wait until the ice road freezes back up.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

So he's showing on the MML as a Senior Member and has the basic stuff CPPT, EO, etc. Sounds like the Level II hasn't been updated. Are you sure it was submitted, should be done after the membership is done, otherwise it may go into the "waiting for something" pile. Since NHQ PD staff is currently at the National Conference, you're going to have to wait a week to call them.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

"MML"  Wow - definitely showing your vintage!

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2018, 01:43:26 AM
"MML"  Wow - definitely showing your vintage!

Yeah, but It also means i don't have to pay dues for the rest of my life
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Spam

Guys, guys...

Level II would have been showing not on the MML, but on the SMTLR!

(If, of course, it would have been visible depending on the dot matrix print on the green and white paper)

V/r
Spam

MSG Mac

Quote from: Spam on August 21, 2018, 02:08:57 AM
Guys, guys...

Level II would have been showing not on the MML, but on the SMTLR!

(If, of course, it would have been visible depending on the dot matrix print on the green and white paper)

V/r
Spam

Never said it was on the membership listing, was quoting the original poster as to his/her quals.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Now that level III has been a requirement for Captain for four years, when do you think National will make Spaatzen 1Lt's, instead of captain? or will they give them Level III?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

airbatic

Quote from: Eclipse on August 21, 2018, 12:13:57 AM
Wait, AKWG?

In July?  Probably have to wait until the ice road freezes back up.

Well played sir! :clap: :clap: :clap: