Form 5 in multi engine aircraft

Started by flyguy06, November 17, 2009, 02:08:01 PM

flyguy06

I saw this in 60-1 but I have never heard of anyone actually doing this. Do we actually have CAP members that have form 5's in multi engine aircraft?

FW

Sure, just fill out the questinaire and get a check pilot to give you the Form 5....
Oh, did you want it paid for???? >:D ;D

MooneyMeyer

What type multi-engine aircraft does CAP fly and where are they?

Sean Meyer
1st Lieutenant, CAP
Fort Worth, Texas

flyguy06

Quote from: MooneyMeyer on November 17, 2009, 03:16:49 PM
Thats my question. I didnt think CAP had multi engine aircraft

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 17, 2009, 03:18:55 PM
Quote from: MooneyMeyer on November 17, 2009, 03:16:49 PM
Thats my question. I didnt think CAP had multi engine aircraft

We have(had?) one multi. Check WMIRS. I think I heard it was going away?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

FW

Realisticly, we don't have any multiengine aircraft in the fleet however, there is a use for them in our missions.  For those missions, we use member owned/provided aircraft and the reimbursement rates can be found in CAPR 173-3.  If you want a form 5 in such an aircraft, all you have to do is find the check pilot and do the paper work.   

Flying Pig

There are members in CA who have privately owned multi engine planes.  But they are rarely flown.  In fact, if Im not mistaken, one has the CAP paint scheme minus the markings.

flynd94

Sweet I go for my 6 month ride at the end of the month.  I could be the only B1900D pilot in CAP.  Now I just wonder how the company check airmen will look at this  ::)
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

bosshawk

Keith: finding a CAP check pilot who can give a Form 5 in a 1900 might be a bit difficult.  The company might be a bit reluctant to have you use one of their birds to do your Form 91.  Let me know when you would like to do your 91 and I'll make the time.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

flyguy06

Quote from: flynd94 on November 18, 2009, 03:09:42 AM
Sweet I go for my 6 month ride at the end of the month.  I could be the only B1900D pilot in CAP.  Now I just wonder how the company check airmen will look at this  ::)
[/quote

Thats would be funny.Cool but funny. lol

flyguy06

So, basically Icould rent a twin, find a CAP check pilot and do a form 5?

bosshawk

Sure: just be sure that the Check Pilot is multi-rated and rated in the twin that you rent.  Knock yourself out.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Mustang

No idea if it's true or not, but I've heard there's a guy in AZ who is Form 5'd in his privately owned Citation and flew it on transport missions in the days after 9/11.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

DG

Quote from: bosshawk on November 18, 2009, 04:18:29 AM
Sure: just be sure that the Check Pilot is multi-rated and rated in the twin that you rent.  Knock yourself out.

The CAP check pilot only needs to be rated in category and class.

DG

Quote from: FW on November 17, 2009, 02:14:34 PM
Sure, just fill out the questinaire and get a check pilot to give you the Form 5....
Oh, did you want it paid for???? >:D ;D

When I got my AMEL, I had the FAA designated examiner fill out the Form 5, and then had a CAP check pilot cover the CAP specific portions.

The difficulty is that you need to get one every year thereafter, or it goes away.

flyguy06

Not a problem at all. I work at a Flight school and the owner is also a CAP check pilot. he owns a Seneca that he keeps in the club. so I can just do that then. I just wonder what the feasibility of getting one is though.

BlueLakes1

Quote from: bosshawk on November 18, 2009, 03:15:20 AM
Keith: finding a CAP check pilot who can give a Form 5 in a 1900 might be a bit difficult.  The company might be a bit reluctant to have you use one of their birds to do your Form 91.  Let me know when you would like to do your 91 and I'll make the time.

CAPR 60-1, 3-2 (a) doth say that....

"A CAPF 5 flight check may be administered by a CAP check pilot, or it may be administered by a FAA Inspector, FAA designated check airman, FAA designated pilot examiner, or CAP-USAF flight examiner provided the individual administering the flight check completes and signs the CAPF 5 and the CAP specific items are verbally covered by a CAP Check Pilot who also signs the CAPF 5."
(Italics mine)

"FAA Designated Check Airman" refers to one who is employed by a Part 135 or Part 121 Air Carrier, and who is designated to administer check rides for the company. If you can get one to sign off on the Form 5, you'd only need the CAP check pilot to give the oral. I'll be using my next PC-12 check for a Form 5. While I'll certainly never fly a PC-12 on CAP business, at the end of the day it's a Group II plane, and getting a signoff will keep me and/or the wing from funding my rides, should I ever let my G1000 qual go. (And there are options in Ops Quals for PC-12, and a couple different types of Citations and King Airs.)

Quote from: DG on November 18, 2009, 12:52:28 PM
When I got my AMEL, I had the FAA designated examiner fill out the Form 5, and then had a CAP check pilot cover the CAP specific portions.

The difficulty is that you need to get one every year thereafter, or it goes away.

Now that was probably a no-no...

CAPR 60-1 3-6 doth say...

"3-6. Airplane Qualifications. In order to operate certain CAP Airplane models, pilots (other than CAP Solo pilots) must meet one or more of the following requirements:

b. Multi-Engine Airplanes – 250 hours total PIC airplane time of which at least 50 hours PIC and 50 takeoffs and landings are in multi-engine airplanes."

If you had 50 ME PIC hours and 50 takeoffs and landings when you got your AMEL, I apologize, but it is pretty uncommon for a newly minted MEL pilot to have that. I'd still be ineligible to take a From 5 in a ME plane, as most of my ME time is SIC time.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

flyguy06

Quote from: Redfire3 on November 18, 2009, 04:36:53 PM

"A CAPF 5 flight check may be administered by a CAP check pilot, or it may be administered by a FAA Inspector, FAA designated check airman, FAA designated pilot examiner, or CAP-USAF flight examiner provided the individual administering the flight check completes and signs the CAPF 5 and the CAP specific items are verbally covered by a CAP Check Pilot who also signs the CAPF 5."
(Italics mine)

"FAA Designated Check Airman" refers to one who is employed by a Part 135 or Part 121 Air Carrier, and who is designated to administer check rides for the company. If you can get one to sign off on the Form 5, you'd only need the CAP check pilot to give the oral. I'll be using my next PC-12 check for a Form 5. While I'll certainly never fly a PC-12 on CAP business, at the end of the day it's a Group II plane, and getting a signoff will keep me and/or the wing from funding my rides, should I ever let my G1000 qual go. (And there are options in Ops Quals for PC-12, and a couple different types of Citations and King Airs.)

"3-6. Airplane Qualifications. In order to operate certain CAP Airplane models, pilots (other than CAP Solo pilots) must meet one or more of the following requirements:

b. Multi-Engine Airplanes – 250 hours total PIC airplane time of which at least 50 hours PIC and 50 takeoffs and landings are in multi-engine airplanes."

If you had 50 ME PIC hours and 50 takeoffs and landings when you got your AMEL, I apologize, but it is pretty uncommon for a newly minted MEL pilot to have that. I'd still be ineligible to take a From 5 in a ME plane, as most of my ME time is SIC time.

fellas,

I think he was just kidding abou the whole getting a form 5 in a Beech 1900. He was being lighthearted.

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on November 18, 2009, 08:23:19 PM
Quote from: Redfire3 on November 18, 2009, 04:36:53 PM

(Italics mine)

fellas,

I think he was just kidding abou the whole getting a form 5 in a Beech 1900. He was being lighthearted.

Knowing Keith, I wouldn't be too sure about that. ;)

bosshawk

I have known Keith for a long while and I am not too sure that he was kidding.

Just think, he saved us from at least 100 posts on uniforms by even bringing this subject up.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777