What headsets do you use when flying???

Started by Pumbaa, November 28, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

flynd94

Nothing but Bose X on my head.  Their ANR is second to none, plus they are super light weight.  I fly professionally so, this is a big deal to me.  DC's have too much of a clamping feel on the top of my head.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

PHall

Quote from: flynd94 on May 26, 2009, 06:19:23 PM
Nothing but Bose X on my head.  Their ANR is second to none, plus they are super light weight.  I fly professionally so, this is a big deal to me.  DC's have too much of a clamping feel on the top of my head.

Say what you will about the DC's, but, I flew for over 28 years in noisy military aircraft and did not suffer any hearing loss.

FastAttack

Quote from: Pumbaa on May 26, 2009, 04:53:15 PM
I "loaned" 2 Dave Clarks to our Plane. Those were given to me by a retiring CFI. One of our pilots also "loaned" a couple of headsets a couple years back but those are getting a little long in the tooth.  That gives us 4 loaners.

I say "Loan" as it has become a PIA with inventory requirements when someone 'donates'.  We are placing little stickers on them saying "On Loan From...."

Now.. RANT ON!

I have my own set of ANC Headsets (Never Loan out) and also another personal set, which I was using as a loaner when not flying in our group aircraft, but after what happened this weekend, I no longer will loan out my personal set.

For folks borrowing stuff, it is a MAJOR sign of disrespect if you abuse the trust that someone puts in you when you borrow their equipment/ tools.  Thankfully my set was eventually found, but not after a lot of.. "go talk to" and they in turn would point back to the other person. 

So from now on if someone asks me for my personal set I will say: "Kish Mein Touchess"

well i went through the same thing loaned it to a senior member not from our squadron during a training mission long story short.. i lost the anr feature of my xl 25's forcing me to upgrade to a zulu as the repair was as much as an upgrade to a zulu.
even though i made out good on the end , i will not loan out my personal headsets especially now when owning such an expensive set.

this why i am looking into get some squadron headset so this will never happen again.

Mustang

I own both the Bose X and the David Clark H10-13XL (ANR).  The Bose has been relegated to passenger use.  I concede that the Bose is more lightweight and comfortable overall, but I apparently have that magical melon shape for which the DC is not UNcomfortable. The Bose is also more fragile; I've put over 1000 hrs on my DCs and they are bombproof, and I don't have to worry about breaking anything. I, too, fly professionally and the reliability factor is huge for me. 

The DC's ANR is every bit as good as the Bose, IMHO. I also prefer the volume controls on the DC's earcups, though I wish one were master volume and one a balance control rather than independent L/R volume controls. 

Additionally, I far prefer the DC's hybrid boom  (half wire frame, half flexible boom); it easily swings out of the way to take a drink or cough or whatever, and more importantly, goes right back where I want it much more readily than the all-flexible-boom varieties.  Its only shortcoming (also shared by the Bose): no MP3 or cell phone input jacks, as on the Lightspeed Zulu.  The DC X11 has that feature, but it has a full flexi-boom.   

Lastly, being somewhat follicularly-challenged cranially, the Oregon Aero sheepskin headpad on my DCs puts them over the top.  I know Oregon Aero makes a sheepskin headbad for the Bose, but it jacks with the top hinge and isn't nearly as substantial (or comfortable) as the one they produce for DCs.  With that headpad in the mix, it's game, set, match for the DCs.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Captain Morgan

Bose.  I just broke the yoke that holds the earcup and Bose fixed them and totally refurbished the headset for free!  :clap:
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

I've used DC's since the 80's.  Returning to power flying, after soaring for years, I bought a pair of David Clark H10-13XL head clampers.  Aftering hearing all the stories of Bose comfort and ANR performance, and trying on a pair, I purchased a used pair.

WOW!  Comfort and quality....  When my wife comes flying with me, she gets the head clampers ;)