A possible jacket for the aviator G/W kit?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, April 22, 2014, 07:35:09 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Story from the field: I was at encampment, wielding a camera for the weekend. Were at Great Lakes, so no photography, we only have our people and we need to turn in the photos for approval. I drove down to graduation parking lot, beat the formation, and wanted to take pictures. I'm about to start doing so, when I hear from behind "HEY! No Photography!". I turn around, see our XO down the road. Make an open hand gesture of " WTF, I'm one of you". He replies "didn't recognize you!". I take my pictures, see a blue uniform coming my way. Lower the camera...its the assitant TAC commander, my buddy, from my squadron....he didn't recognize me with a camera either. Even our own can't tell the G/WS as a uniform from a little distance.   

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: shuman14 on May 05, 2014, 12:29:21 AM
I'd like to see your proposal, can you post it or email it to me?

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 05, 2014, 12:32:27 AM
I would like to see it too.

I am currently updating it (from an old machine).  I hope both you gentlemen can import an Office 97 document.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CyBorg on May 07, 2014, 05:24:40 PM

I am currently updating it (from an old machine).  I hope both you gentlemen can import an Office 97 document.

Make it three?

Shuman 14

I think so... go ahead and send it.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Mustang

Quote from: CyBorg on April 28, 2014, 07:34:46 PM

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 28, 2014, 02:12:41 AM
Business suit for...business and semi formal applications. Dark blue or black with light blue shirt and tie. CAP tie tack. No more blazer combo nametag.

Partial agreement and respectful dissent.  Airline-type dark blue-grey uniform jacket (minus sleeve rings).  Retain black blazer nametag for grade recognition.  CAP ribbons/badges/miniature medals (depending on occasion) allowed.

Merrill? Is that you?  ;D
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Panache

I'd like to take a gander at it as well.

ColonelJack

CyBorg ..

I would also like to see your proposal.

Thank you...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

Alright then, here, in all its "glory"..... :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CyBorg on May 08, 2014, 01:21:08 PM

Swap out all metal grade, make headgear same device as blues, and wow, that would look good.

AlphaSigOU

Looks good; only thing I would change is the cut of the double-breasted jacket. It would look better if a Navy officer/CPO jacket cut is used (all jacket buttons are in line, not as shown in the illustration). For formal occasions, a civilian black tuxedo (with notch lapels), white formal shirt and allowing CAP-only miniature medals, badges and the 'dinner plate'.

Specify flat front trousers, no cuffed hems.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Panache

Pretty good, but if I may make some suggestions:

1) While I like the idea of metal grade on the cap, I doubt that the Powers-That-Be would.  Frankly, I'm surprised we're allowed to have metal grade on the BBDU cap.
2) Make the flight cap and tie the same shade of gray as the shoulder marks and name plate.  This would add to the uniform's "distinctiveness".
3) If possible, use a different shade of blue for the shirt.  Say, French Blue, which would further make the uniform "distinctive".

4) Mandate a standard plain leather belt with silver buckle.
5) Change the Flight Officer shoulder grade marks from the "naval stripes" to an embroidered version of the sew-on collar grade.

Otherwise, pretty sharp.

But to be honest, I would prefer going back to our roots and going with the pink-and-greens made with modern materials, but that's me.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 08, 2014, 01:47:25 PM
Swap out all metal grade, make headgear same device as blues, and wow, that would look good.

Thank you.  I do not understand the aversion to metal grade, though...on a uniform like this there is no way we could be mistaken for the USAF.

Quote from: Panache on May 08, 2014, 06:01:44 PM
1) While I like the idea of metal grade on the cap, I doubt that the Powers-That-Be would.  Frankly, I'm surprised we're allowed to have metal grade on the BBDU cap.

Which Powers-That-Be?  The AF, or the P-T-B in CAP who view that as almost a third rail?

And, yes, I have never figured out why we are permitted to have it on just one item of clothing...

2) Make the flight cap and tie the same shade of gray as the shoulder marks and name plate.  This would add to the uniform's "distinctiveness".

Flight cap yes, but a grey tie?  No, thank you.  Too much grey.

3) If possible, use a different shade of blue for the shirt.  Say, French Blue, which would further make the uniform "distinctive".

That is a good idea, though the Van Heusen blue shirts really are a different shade (darker) and fabric from the USAF.

I would use the Bleu de Francais for the piping on the flight cap.

4) Mandate a standard plain leather belt with silver buckle.

(petulant tone) I still like the idea of having a CAP crest on the buckle. :P

5) Change the Flight Officer shoulder grade marks from the "naval stripes" to an embroidered version of the sew-on collar grade.

Even with bifocals, I cannot often make out the embroidered teeny-tiny white stripes on that insignia denoting an FO/TFO/SFO.  The AF does not use warrant officer grades, which is why I suggested those.  At worst, we would be confused with Customs & Border Patrol "journeyman" insignia.

I can say from experience that CBP shoulder slides are indistinguishable from the USAF.  I would not be surprised if CBP uses AF shoulder slides.  I have seen them many, many times when coming back from Canada and, if not the same, they're pretty darn close.

But to be honest, I would prefer going back to our roots and going with the pink-and-greens made with modern materials, but that's me.

I like those too, but I am trying to use extant materials that can be gotten off-the-rack.

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 08, 2014, 04:26:18 PM
Looks good; only thing I would change is the cut of the double-breasted jacket. It would look better if a Navy officer/CPO jacket cut is used (all jacket buttons are in line, not as shown in the illustration). For formal occasions, a civilian black tuxedo (with notch lapels), white formal shirt and allowing CAP-only miniature medals, badges and the 'dinner plate'.

Specify flat front trousers, no cuffed hems.

Good points, but I tried to avoid the CPO-cut on purpose since the CSU had that.

Civilian tux?  Nein, danke.  Again I am trying to K.I.S.S. as much as I can.  Anyway, when I think of tuxedos I think of Chuck Barriss on "The Gong Show."

:)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

THRAWN

^^^ I agree as outlined above.

Just a couple small points that are like a fork on teeth:
1. CBP is Customs and Border Protection. Border Patrol is a different animal under the CBP umbrella.
2. Drop the term "rank slides". They're epaulette sleeves or shoulder marks. Ranks slides sounds like a line dance at a wedding.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

The only problem with the Van Hausen shirts is they are not available for those of use who are tall (5'9" and up) and rotund. The same problem exists with the white aviator shirts, which contributes to variety of styles out there.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2014, 08:08:52 PM
5'-9" is tall these days?
According to Van Haussen. If I can get the right size neck, the body length is for someone who is 5'6", not 6'. They quit making talls with a neck greater than 18.5.

Panache

Quote from: arajca on May 08, 2014, 08:05:53 PM
The only problem with the Van Hausen shirts is they are not available for those of use who are tall (5'9" and up) and rotund. The same problem exists with the white aviator shirts, which contributes to variety of styles out there.

I have a 19.5 neck and I'm about 6'1" and I wear a standard-length white Van Hausen Aviator quite comfortably.

But apparently they do make the blue shirts in long lengths:  Tall Blue Pilot Shirts - Men's Van Heusen The Aviator TALL Short Sleeve Pilot Uniform Shirts

Shuman 14

Quote from: CyBorg on May 08, 2014, 01:21:08 PM

Very reasonable suggestions and well thought out.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

... But to be honest, I would prefer going back to our roots and going with the pink-and-greens made with modern materials, but that's me.

In the vein of my suggestion of a khaki/silver-tan corporate uniform I tend to agree with you.

I found this thread http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=18680.0 very interesting in that regard.

Looking back may be the way forward.
Joseph J. Clune