Flight and Ground School for Cadets in New York City

Started by Full time cadet, April 19, 2014, 04:25:52 AM

Full time cadet

Hi,

I am a new cadet that just join NY-147 at Vaughn College in New York City. I am 17 years old. A high school sophomore.

I would like to ask if theres ground and flight school available for me as a Civil Air Patrol Cadet in New York City. I've had heard about flight academy. Which is 1,200 dollars. I join Civil Air Patrol because I mainly aiming for a private pilots license which actually I heard that it lowers the cost. Please reply. Thanks.

Eclipse

At $1200 flight academies are a bargain - you probably won't solo, but you can't get much better bang for the buck.

Average cost these days is about $6-10k, depending on how many hours you need and where you rent.

Unless you find a school that offers a specific CAP discount, or a benevolent flight instructor, being in CAP
doesn't really have much bearing, per se on the cost of flight training.

You can get a lot of free generalized instruction in the field of aviation, which can put you ahead of your peers,
but unless you get a scholarship or go to an academy, there's not much cost advantage to membership.

When you turn 18 you can train as aircrew, which gets you in the rear and right seats, but not in the left.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Agreed.  Flight training is expensive.  Extremely so.

$1,200 is quite the deal.  If you can, take advantage of it.  I know many Senior Members who would sell their mothers for a chance to attend the flight academy for $1,200.

Huey Driver

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2014, 04:41:17 AM
At $1200 flight academies are a bargain - you probably won't solo, but you can't get much better bang for the buck.

All of the NCSA Powered Flight Academies cost $1200 this year. They also have very high numbers of cadets soloed. Before you solo, you must pass a knowledge test, so there's a lot of studying and ground work first. Other than that, it obviously boils down to your flying ability, but most people are able to solo by the end of the week.

The time has passed to apply for any national flight academies, but NJWG is hosting one 9-16 Aug (I think) at KMJX, so it's not that far away from NYC. The cost is also $1200. Contact Major Ron Wiley for details, ronald.wiley(at)njwg.cap.gov
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

UH60guy

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have to attend an encampment before he can apply for a NCSA? Joining CAP at age 17 makes that timetable extremely tight, meaning he needs to complete encampment this summer and be accepted to the powered flight academy to attend it right afterwards.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

Quote from: UH60guy on April 19, 2014, 03:05:26 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have to attend an encampment before he can apply for a NCSA? Joining CAP at age 17 makes that timetable extremely tight, meaning he needs to complete encampment this summer and be accepted to the powered flight academy to attend it right afterwards.

For NCSAs that require encampment, it has to be done before applying.  So his only option for 2014 is an encampment, which then would
open up the allowance to apply for 2015 NCSA activities.  There's no more going from encampment Week 1, and then flying direct to an NCSA Week 2.

Johnson Flight Academy in ILWG didn't used to be an NCSA, though for the last year or so it was run through the NCSA system for apps. The
recently upgraded application instrcutions indicate that JFA is now an acredited NCSA, but encampment is preferred but not required.
http://jfa.ilwg.cap.gov/Application_Procedures.htm

As to soloing on your first round, yes it's possible, but a lot of stars have to alighn.  The cadet has to be prepared, motivated, and
pretty high speed, not to mention the weather has to cooperate.  Get a week of severe clear with no winds and you'll fly the wings off the
planes.  If the week is stormy or windy, you might spend the whole time in a hangar.

"That Others May Zoom"

Full time cadet

Is there anyway I can start ground school through CAP in NYC other than flight academy? Or Ground school without CAP in NYC. I don't have a car to travel all the way to republic or Macarthur. I want to start my aviation path as soon as possible. I am also in AFJROTC which my instructor exclusively put me in CAP hoping than I can be the first pilot for the unit.

Spaceman3750

If you joined CAP specifically to get cheap flight training, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

a2capt

..and ground school options are more plentiful, and not all that expensive, all things considered, in the "real" world.

..and if you put down anywhere that "you joined to get cheap flying", your applications and requests are likely to get filed.

The14th

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: The14th on April 20, 2014, 07:19:27 AM
17 year old Sophomore? How does that work?

Turned 17 prior to summer break. It happens, especially when some school districts have weird age requirements based on birthdays to start 1st grade or kindergarten. I know people who graduated at 17 and a couple who were right on the edge of 19 when they walked.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

I was 17 the start of my 10th grade year. It meant there was a Freshman in Drivers Ed, and I never heard the end of it, invading "their" turf..

The14th

I graduated when I was 17. Just struck me as odd, guess my school district had different age requirements. I couldn't imagine being stuck in high school until I was 19.

inactive123

A great ground school option that I discovered for CAP Cadets is the EAA Young Eagles program. Your first o-flight may qualify for  your Young Eagles Flight. After joining for FREE, you will have access to free, full online ground school from Sporty's, scholarship opportunities, as well as a free private lesson after you complete your ground school training.
C/MSgt

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetcookies on April 20, 2014, 03:43:01 PM
Your first o-flight may qualify for  your Young Eagles Flight.

Separate programs.   Don't short change yourself, go for both flights.

"That Others May Zoom"

inactive123

Quote from: Eclipse on April 20, 2014, 03:47:31 PM
Quote from: Cadetcookies on April 20, 2014, 03:43:01 PM
Your first o-flight may qualify for  your Young Eagles Flight.

Separate programs.   Don't short change yourself, go for both flights.
Yes, I would recommend that you do both flights, as I did, but If your local chapter isn't flying youngsters around this time of year or you do not have the time, then it would be fine as you only have until age 19 to take advantage of the training.
C/MSgt

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: The14th on April 20, 2014, 02:44:46 PM
I graduated when I was 17. Just struck me as odd, guess my school district had different age requirements. I couldn't imagine being stuck in high school until I was 19.

I started School September 1st, 1997 - I was 7.5 years old. The year before I'd be too young, though the option was there (the youngest girl was 5!!! in my first grade). Of course Europe is different like that, and school could be 9 or 12 years, followed by a college or a university (and those are different things!).

I came to the US Dec 2001, I was in 5th grade in Latvia. Based on being "almost" 12, I was bumped to 6th grade in January when I started school here.

I finished high school in 3 years, so I graduated at 17.5 Aug 2007.

12 grades, 10 years. :)

Still ended up wasting a year before I got to college, but there's that.

Class of 2008, Diploma dated June 2007,  finished all classes August 3rd 2007.

nomiddlemas

Quote from: C/Tang,ChristopherNY on April 19, 2014, 04:25:52 AM
Hi,

I am a new cadet that just join NY-147 at Vaughn College in New York City. I am 17 years old. A high school sophomore.

I would like to ask if theres ground and flight school available for me as a Civil Air Patrol Cadet in New York City. I've had heard about flight academy. Which is 1,200 dollars. I join Civil Air Patrol because I mainly aiming for a private pilots license which actually I heard that it lowers the cost. Please reply. Thanks.
Hey  I am a almost finished with my solo training with my local squadron flight academy. Get your solo than move to ppl from there. If you have any questions , ask

nomiddlemas

I did Flight academy at my local squadron.  Paid 400 for 10 hours of flight time, 25 hours ground class and got a bunch of books and flight log and medical and my knee pad.  I was not dissapointed by CAP for flight academy.