Activities before your first stripe

Started by Stonewall, April 10, 2009, 10:49:19 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: flyguy06 on April 12, 2009, 02:25:35 PMI hear what you are saying, butby regs, I cant stop a member from attending an encampment.

Cite please.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

flyguy06

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 12, 2009, 02:36:51 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on April 12, 2009, 02:25:35 PM
I hear what you are saying, butby regs, I cant stop a member from attending an encampment.

Cite please.

I dont know what youmean. If a cadet wants to apply to an encampment he can as long as the Squadron CC approves it and i am not the Squadron CC. Our CC will approve anyone.

RogueLeader

Oh, I thought you were saying that there was a reg saying that you couldn't bar them before the Cadet earned their first stripe.  my bad.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol057

If your squadron CC approves everyone that wants to attend encampment whether they are ready or not, then IMHO he/she needs to be relieved.  I feel the DCC, because they are normally more familiar with the cadets, has a duty to recommend that certain cadets not be allowed to attend.  I've seen cadets come to encampments solely because the CC wanted them to, even tho the cadets themselves felt they were not ready.  The squadron CC felt it made him look better to the wing CC if he had 100% of his cadets attending encampment. 

I've also seen a squadron CC tell the parents of an autistic cadet that the staff were well trained in how to deal with autistic children and that the cadet would be fine.  Even heard one squadron CC tell parents that we knew how to deal with their cadet that has uncontrolled paranoid schizophrenia.  Not a mental health professional here.

But for that reason, I feel ALL squadron CC's that have cadets should be required to attend at least one encampment so they know firsthand about encampments.  For years, we always had at least one senior member go to encampment for the duration if any of our cadets were attending.  Just my opinion here.

ßτε

In case no one noticed, cadets are required to complete Achievement 1 in order to be eligible for encampment, according to CAPR 52-16.

flyguy06

Quote from: LtCol057 on April 12, 2009, 05:43:35 PM
If your squadron CC approves everyone that wants to attend encampment whether they are ready or not, then IMHO he/she needs to be relieved.  I feel the DCC, because they are normally more familiar with the cadets, has a duty to recommend that certain cadets not be allowed to attend.  I've seen cadets come to encampments solely because the CC wanted them to, even tho the cadets themselves felt they were not ready.  The squadron CC felt it made him look better to the wing CC if he had 100% of his cadets attending encampment. 

I've also seen a squadron CC tell the parents of an autistic cadet that the staff were well trained in how to deal with autistic children and that the cadet would be fine.  Even heard one squadron CC tell parents that we knew how to deal with their cadet that has uncontrolled paranoid schizophrenia.  Not a mental health professional here.

But for that reason, I feel ALL squadron CC's that have cadets should be required to attend at least one encampment so they know firsthand about encampments.  For years, we always had at least one senior member go to encampment for the duration if any of our cadets were attending.  Just my opinion here.

I dont disaagree with you. I think Senirs that work with cadets should attend an encampment as well. I have been to about ten. But our squadrons culture is not set up that way. Culture meaning the way its een done for 20 plus years is very loose. Too loose if you ask me.

Stonewall

Quote from: bte on April 12, 2009, 07:29:16 PM
In case no one noticed, cadets are required to complete Achievement 1 in order to be eligible for encampment, according to CAPR 52-16.

Was mentioned on page 1.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2009, 11:39:06 PM
By specific regulation, a cadet may not attend an encampment or be issued a 101 card before achieving Curry.
Serving since 1987.